• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex platinum foreign transaction fee

praneeth999

TF Select
Hello. I can apply to both US and Indian variant of amex platinum card and pre-approved for either of them.

US variant of platinum seems to a better option with many perks/credits along with zero foreign transaction fee.

I am wondering if Indian variant also has zero/nil foreign transaction fee or not. Unless i am missing something, it is certainly not advertised on amex website so I guess it's not a feature for Indian cards.

Can someone who has/use the card confirm ? Appreciate your response.

Last edited:
It is a standard reward structure for Amex Platinum charge card - 3X rewards for all international transactions. It is automatically given for all overseas transactions. Amex gives the reward for the whole amount - including conversion charge and GST.
Oh ok. But plat charge has zero conversion charges too, I thought?

shubhank008

TF Buzz
No. Officially, it is 3.5% + GST but around 4.4% in total when I checked it couple of times with mid market rates in Xe.

Yep, its 4.44-4.5%, Japan trip last month, all transactions were like midmarket rate + 4.4% (didnt calculate exact but definitely above 4%).
During the trip, did all flight/hotel payments via Axis Atlas and everything else via Platinum Travel.
Didn't have Platinum charge unfortunately, the 3x MR points would have given some comfort.

SBI Elite is like 2.5% if I remember correct from 2023 trip but RPs quite worthless. For now happy to use PT to reach the 4L milestone, specially before the Virgin Atlantic 30% transfer bonus ends.

shubhank008

TF Buzz
Hello. I can apply to both US and Indian variant of amex platinum card and pre-approved for either of them.

US variant of platinum seems to a better option with many perks/credits along with zero foreign transaction fee.

I am wondering if Indian variant also has zero/nil foreign transaction fee or not. Unless i am missing something, it is certainly not advertised on amex website so I guess it's not a feature for Indian cards.

Can someone who has/use the card confirm ? Appreciate your response.

Out of curiosity, is US Amex or any CC offered to non-residents as well ? What is the criteria