• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Plat Travel renewal fee waiver. Is it ok to accept?

neogen

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My Amex plat travel is up for renewal. On contacting Amex, they are offering 50% fee waiver.

Do you think its ok to accept this 50% renewal fee waiver offer?

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
My Amex plat travel is up for renewal. On contacting Amex, they are offering 50% fee waiver.

See my dad hold both plantium and gold and have amex card plantium over 9-10 yr and 5 yr for gold and both of them he first pay the annual fees doesn't call and then one month or so after paying he call them and somehow amex reverse the fees. He say look at my account and My spending and amex cs always reverse the charges. Spend around 5 lakhs or so on gold and plantium 7 lakhs or so. It might vary but that his spending pattern over 10 yr with amex.

vagrantadam

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
See my dad hold both plantium and gold and have amex card plantium over 9-10 yr and 5 yr for gold and both of them he first pay the annual fees doesn't call and then one month or so after paying he call them and somehow amex reverse the fees. He say look at my account and My spending and amex cs always reverse the charges. Spend around 5 lakhs or so on gold and plantium 7 lakhs or so. It might vary but that his spending pattern over 10 yr with amex.
Isn’t it risky to pay fee first and ask for waiver later. Is it worth taking a risk for people with less spends.isn’t 50% waiver a decent offer?

D₹V

TF Prestige
Great tip from OG 🙌😊

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Isn’t it risky to pay fee first and ask for waiver later. Is it worth taking a risk for people with less spends.isn’t 50% waiver a decent offer?
Amex even after paying of fees will reverse the entire fees if you want to close the card (if you not happy with the offer they giving you). This is valid for 1-2 months post paying fees i think.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Yeah, I do agree. Even I wasn't convinced at first, but then I went over his account. Every time in October, he has received fee reversals. There are some things to notice: he has only 5 credit cards, and over a decade, Amex is his favorite card. He had no clue about the 1,000-point bonus on 6 transactions of 1,000. When I mentioned it, he was like, 'Nah, I don't care.' Another thing is that he spends without checking any promotional emails; he spends when needed. Only last year did he manage to spend 5 to 7 lakhs on HDFC MoneyBack, and HDFC said, 'Here, take 47 to 48k.' Now he won't be using that useless card after managing to get 20k points, and I redeemed an 8k Croma voucher. So, the Amex card is his favorite because of the support he gets from Amex.

I'm sharing this because earlier this year when I saw fee reversals on his Gold card, I was like, 'Hmm, it's okay, spending is great, so I understand the Amex reversal without any point adjustment.' Now, this year, his spending compared to last year should be less. On the 20th/21st of September, fees were charged, so remind me to update on his post after 45/60 days or so. His payment is on the 8th of October, and the bill cycle is on the 20th. This fee will show up in the next statement. As for me, I only have the MRCC. Even I would like a 50% reversal; who knows if I might get any reversal or not."

vagrantadam

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Yeah, I do agree. Even I wasn't convinced at first, but then I went over his account. Every time in October, he has received fee reversals. There are some things to notice: he has only 5 credit cards, and over a decade, Amex is his favorite card. He had no clue about the 1,000-point bonus on 6 transactions of 1,000. When I mentioned it, he was like, 'Nah, I don't care.' Another thing is that he spends without checking any promotional emails; he spends when needed. Only last year did he manage to spend 5 to 7 lakhs on HDFC MoneyBack, and HDFC said, 'Here, take 47 to 48k.' Now he won't be using that useless card after managing to get 20k points, and I redeemed an 8k Croma voucher. So, the Amex card is his favorite because of the support he gets from Amex.

I'm sharing this because earlier this year when I saw fee reversals on his Gold card, I was like, 'Hmm, it's okay, spending is great, so I understand the Amex reversal without any point adjustment.' Now, this year, his spending compared to last year should be less. On the 20th/21st of September, fees were charged, so remind me to update on his post after 45/60 days or so. His payment is on the 8th of October, and the bill cycle is on the 20th. This fee will show up in the next statement. As for me, I only have the MRCC. Even I would like a 50% reversal; who knows if I might get any reversal or not."
Thanks for the detailed explanation. He seems to be using credit card exactly the way it’s supposed to be. No wonder they are reversing his fee. Will keep in mind while my charge card’s renewal is due 😊

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Update - My dad called Amex, and this is the first time he couldn't get a fee reversal. Maybe he called too early, but he did receive 10,000 (MR) points in exchange for the fees without actually paying them(The due date is of November). The person on the call mentioned to my dad that she wouldn't be able to provide a fee reversal this time. For the Platinum Travel card too, fees will be coming up soon. I think we'll have to see if there's a fee reversal or not. At worst, I'll suggest to him that he should barter /give 10,000 points to offset the fees to Amex.

djaz

TF Buzz
I do have Amex Gold and Amex Plat travel for the last 10 years,
1. Amex Gold I always got 100% reversal when called after seeing the charges levied in the bill
2. Amex platinum Travel, always reversed debting 10k points, they also used to give option of 2L spend in 90 days to waive off without debting, I usually dont take that as i dont want strings attached to my spends.

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
1. Amex Gold I always got 100% reversal when called after seeing the charges levied in the bill
2. Amex platinum Travel, always reversed debting 10k points, they also used to give option of 2L spend in 90 days to waive off without debting, I usually dont take that as i dont want strings attached to my spends.
Amex Gold I always got 100% reversal when called after seeing the charges levied in the bill - Did you manage to get a fee reversal this year as well? If so, in which month was your Gold Charge Renewal?

rohitpgarg

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
How much have been your typical annual spends on amex gold?

addy

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge

U may try harder they offer 100% fee waiver also. Other options are 10k MR points deduction against fee or 2 lakh spend in 90 days.

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
may be 2 to 3L
Is it that you're able to make fully optimised spends on the Gold card for that much amount, or that you don't care much for rewards in exchange of NPSL? Because normally Gold (unlike MRCC) much more rapidly starts to lose its value prop after 6K (monthly), unless you're dealing exclusively in 5x transactions.

djaz

TF Buzz
Is it that you're able to make fully optimised spends on the Gold card for that much amount, or that you don't care much for rewards in exchange of NPSL? Because normally Gold (unlike MRCC) much more rapidly starts to lose its value prop after 6K (monthly), unless you're dealing exclusively in 5x transactions.
Sorry I dont know what NPSL mean, I only know i need to make atleast 6 transactions of over 1k in a month to get bonus points and beyond that i dont track much on rewards. I am a happy customer of Amex for over a decade for their customer service.