• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Financial Review

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So, I had faced a financial review (FR) by Amex. Kindly learn from this thread to avoid a FR and how to come out of it.

Please read : (**long post alert**) I reside in Jaipur Rajasthan and had applied for amex as soon as it was launched in Jaipur in 2015. The first card issued to me was Amex platinum reserve which I closed within a month as the Amex’s offline acceptance was pathetic to say the least. It still is.
I reapplied after a few months but this time for Plat travel and then started my journey to mint Amex points since 2016. I achieved each and every spend based targets/milestones and received 100% fee waivers every year based on the spends.
I was offered MRCC as companion card and I gladly took it. I was minting more points than ever. Thing to note here is that these were the days when Paytm/MobiKwik and various other wallets had so many loopholes and they were being used by everyone to manufacture spends and I was no different. Combined with a lot of genuine spends and wallet loads, I had amassed a lot of points.

Around Covid times ie Jan 2020 I was getting bombarded with emails/calls from amex to apply for the plat charge (70800/- annual fee) for almost a year and a half.

Fast forward to 2021. I took the plunge as they were offering an irresistible upgrade offer of 80k taj vouchers or 1.5 lacs points.

Now, things start to go downhill. I had clearly told the Amex sales person that according to the eligibility criteria for the plat charge, I am falling slightly short of the required annual ITR. He said no worries Sir, just go for it, there’s going to be no problem.

Now, my first purchase on plat charge was a pretty big one as it was a no spending limit card (there’s always a shadow limit).

That’s when all hell broke loose. Within 5 minutes of taking that transaction, I was bombarded with Amex emails. ***ACCOUNT SUSPENDED*** Contact Amex for more information. And NO! it wasn’t just for the plat charge, it was for all my Amex cards.

So, before I called Amex, I searched online and not much info was available about India specific FR but found many stories of the US.
in short, a FR can go either ways ie all your cards closed and points forfeited and you are in all probability done with Amex OR you come out of it with some curbs on limits and you go on with your life having learnt something about Amex.

For me, I came out of it with all my cards and points intact but took a massive hit on my Credit limits. They reduced my limits by 60% across the board.

What happens exactly after you get that dreaded email:
You call the amex support, they ll just transfer your call to a specific department that deals with FR without giving any info.
I was transferred to that department and they just told me to send my bank statement and ITR.
They ll give you 15 days to comply and furnish the documents and if you don’t they ll close your cards.

Usually, FR decision takes anywhere between 30-45 days and in the meantime the Amex account ie all the cards remain suspended. Everything is suspended. You can’t even redeem your points.

After about a month or so, I got a call from Amex informing about the FR decision that it’s all good to go from here but we have reduced your credit limits by x amount.

This was a sigh of relief as I had amassed a huge amount of points and was mainly worried about forfeiting them.

Well, all’s well that ends well. Lesson learnt. Some things to always avoid especially with Amex to steer clear of a FR:
1) Never use your card at a particular merchant frequently for huge amounts. (Spend manufacturers will know what I mean)
2) For charge cards avoid checking your spending power frequently. Do it only before taking a high value transaction. Make sure it’s genuine. Amex can ask you to furnish the invoice.
3) If you yourself are a merchant. Never ever swipe your own card on your own pos machine. This will bring you straight to a FR 100%.

I have covered almost all aspects of a FR. Will be happy to answer your queries regarding this.

P.S. fast forward to today I still hold all 3 of my Amex cards and multiple limit enhancements have been offered (mind you offered and not requested by me) by Amex since 2021 till date on all my Amex cards. Also, I learnt that it’s better to keep redeeming the points regularly.

Thanks for reading through :)

Last edited:

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
So, I had faced a financial review (FR) by Amex. Kindly learn from this thread to avoid a FR and how to come out of it.

Please read : (**long post alert**) I reside in Jaipur Rajasthan and had applied for amex as soon as it was launched in Jaipur in 2015. The first card issued to me was Amex platinum reserve which I closed within a month as the Amex’s offline acceptance was pathetic to say the least. It still is.
I reapplied after a few months but this time for Plat travel and then started my journey to mint Amex points since 2016. I achieved each and every spend based targets/milestones and received 100% fee waivers every year based on the spends.
I was offered MRCC as companion card and I gladly took it. I was minting more points than ever. Thing to note here is that these were the days when Paytm/MobiKwik and various other wallets had so many loopholes were being used by everyone to manufacture spends and I was no different. Combined with a lot of genuine spends and wallet loads, I had amassed a lot of points.

Around Covid times ie Jan 2020 I was getting bombarded with emails/calls from amex to apply for the plat charge (70800/- annual fee) for almost a year and a half.

Fast forward to 2021. I took the plunge as they were offering an irresistible upgrade offer of 80k taj vouchers or 1.5 lacs points.

Now, things start to go downhill. I had clearly told the Amex sales that according to the eligibility criteria for the plat charge, I am falling slightly short of the required annual ITR. He said no worries Sir, just go for it, there’s going to be no problem.

Now, my first purchase on plat charge was a pretty big one as it was a no spending limit card (there’s always a shadow limit).

That’s when all hell broke loose. Within 5 minutes of taking that transaction, I was bombarded with Amex emails. ***ACCOUNT SUSPENDED*** Contact Amex for more information. And NO! it wasn’t just for the plat charge, it was for all my Amex cards.

So, before I called Amex, I searched online and not much info was available about India specific FR but found many stories of the US.
in short, a FR can go either ways ie all your cards closed and points forfeited and you are in all probability done with Amex OR you come out of it with some curbs on limits and you go on with your life having learnt something about Amex.

For me, I came out of it with all my cards and points intact but took a massive hit on my Credit limits. They reduced my limits by 60% across the board.

You call the amex support, they ll just transfer your call to a specific department that deals with FR without giving any info.
I was transferred to that department and they just told me to send my bank statement and ITR.
They ll give you 15 days to comply and furnish the documents and if you don’t they ll close your cards.

Usually, FR decision takes anywhere between 30-45 days and in the meantime the Amex account ie all the cards remain suspended. Everything is suspended. You can’t even redeem your points.

After about a month or so, I got a call from Amex informing about the FR decision that it’s all good to go from here but we have reduced your credit limits by x amount.

This was a sigh of relief as I had amassed a huge amount of points and was mainly worried about forfeiting them.

Well, all’s well that ends well. Lesson learnt. Some things to always avoid especially with Amex to steer clear of a FR:
1) Never use your card at a particular merchant frequently for huge amounts. (Spend manufacturers will know what I mean)
2) For charge cards avoid checking your spending power frequently. Do it only before taking a high value transaction. Make sure it’s genuine. Amex can ask you to furnish the invoice.
3) If you yourself are a merchant. Never ever swipe your own card on your own pos machine. This will bring you straight to a FR 100%.

I have covered almost all aspects of a FR. Will be happy to answer your queries regarding this.

P.S. fast forward to today I still hold all 3 of my Amex cards and multiple limit enhancements have been offered (mind you offered and not requested by me) by Amex since 2021 till date on all my Amex cards. Also, I learnt that it’s better to keep redeeming the points regularly.

thank you for sharing this, I had no clue what FR in cc was before this article, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

ARV

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge

I was offered MRCC as companion card and I gladly took it. I was minting more points than ever. Thing to note here is that these were the days when Paytm/MobiKwik and various other wallets had so many loopholes were being used by everyone to manufacture spends and I was no different. Combined with a lot of genuine spends and wallet loads, I had amassed a lot of points.

Now, things start to go downhill. I had clearly told the Amex sales that according to the eligibility criteria for the plat charge, I am falling slightly short of the required annual ITR. He said no worries Sir, just go for it, there’s going to be no problem.

Great info, thanks for sharing

Digvijay

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Well written. So what triggers FR by Amex? Any specific transaction to consider apart from large amount at once and merchant swipe? If the cards are suspended at once during FR, what happens to outstanding amount on those cards?

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge

Thank you for sharing. Would it be possible for you to share the approximate purchase amount?

Last edited:

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Well written. So what triggers FR by Amex? Any specific transaction to consider apart from large amount at once and merchant swipe? If the cards are suspended at once during FR, what happens to outstanding amount on those cards?
Hi Digvijay,
As mentioned above in the things to avoid to steer clear of a FR are a few points you must absolutely avoid. There could be more triggers but these are the most common ones.

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Regarding the payment due, till the time the FR decision comes you are supposed to make payments as per your due date. If the decision goes against the card holder and the card is closed then a payment will be due immediately and you will be expected to clear it within 2-3 days.

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Thank you for sharing. Would it be possible for you to share the approximate purchase amount?
10L + but it varies on account to account basis. Let’s say if an HNI who regularly uses the card for high value, a FR might not be triggered but for someone who usually never uses the card for let’s say not more 2-3 lacs and suddenly uses it for 7-8 lacs, there’s a good chance of a FR getting triggered. It’s not a manual trigger, it’s the Amex system that triggers it, so no hard rules available here

Last edited:

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
10L + but it varies on account to account basis. Let’s say if an HNI who regularly uses the card for high value, a FR might not be triggered but for someone who usually never uses the card for let’s say not more 2-3 lacs and suddenly uses it for 7-8 lacs, there’s a good chance of a FR getting triggered. It’s not a manual trigger, it’s the Amex system that triggers it, so now hard rules available here
Can I inform Amex prior to a large transaction to avoid card blocking for a financial review or request a pre-emptive financial review?

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Can I inform Amex prior to a large transaction to avoid card blocking for a financial review or request a pre-emptive financial review?
You can always inform them prior to taking a high value transaction but as I said it’s not a manual trigger, it’s the Amex system that might trigger it. Coming to Preemptively asking for a financial review, that’s not possible. Instead you could send them your ITR and ask them to review your credit limit for an enhancement.

yashbhavnani

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Till the time, a purchase is genuine, backed with an invoice and coupled with an ITR to back your spending there won’t be any issues even if a FR is triggered. You ll come out of it with flying colours with a hit on your limit :)

If the purchase wasn’t genuine ie it is a manufactured spend then your fate hangs in the hands of the FR team and honestly it can go either way.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Till the time, a purchase is genuine, backed with an invoice coupled and you have an ITR to back your spending m, there won’t be any issues even if a FR is triggered.

If the purchase wasn’t genuine ie it a manufactured spend then your fate hangs in the hands of the FR team and honestly it can go either way.
Well Said

If your spending’s are more than income , then systems do trigger anomaly.
If you have the documentation to prove the expenditure, then it’s all fine