• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Your First Credit Card Story - How did you get your first credit card?

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
Let's share our first credit card experience...
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄

Last edited:

Nocash

TF Select
My first card was SBI Simply save back in early 2017. I just got to know that credit card can help you to build CIBIL and there was an excitement about credit cards so I called one sbi agent and asked him to apply a card for me. That time SBI simply save and Simply click were hot properties in lower segment.
The agent applied the card based on my salary but as we all know thanks to SBI agent, my address and email id was incorrect which I only found out last year. (2021 was the year when I really got interested into credit cards)
So yeah a normal card, normal limit and normal story for first card but from 2021, I took real interest in Credit cards and got 13 more cards in 13 months. If anyone will be interested, I would love to share that journey :)

Jitendra P

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I was fascinated about credit cards since I was a child. It was 2011 and at that time no one in my family had a credit card, but I needed it for some international transactions which allow only credit cards.

So I made my grandfather apply for a credit card at Andhra Bank on basis of his pension account (I obviously can't get one for myself that time because I was only 11). This was the card I mainly used till I was 15 even though I opened a child savings account at Icici when I was 13 (that DC had a 5k/day limit).

Later I wanted to get a major bank CC mainly for bank offers as Andhra Bank had none. So I made my mom take an instant platinum FD based CC in 2015, which I used as my primary till 2020.

I never thought I could get a CC on my name because I was under 21 and had no income proof (I wasn't even aware that pre approved offers exist that time). But in September 2020 I received a pre approved offer from ICICI. (That time I maintained around 4L combined balance of savings+FD+RD for around 3-4 months).

I got my first credit card which is lifetime free ICICI bank Rubyx with a limit of 1.7L and the rest is history!

My first card was SBI Simply save back in early 2017. I just got to know that credit card can help you to build CIBIL and there was an excitement about credit cards so I called one sbi agent and asked him to apply a card for me. That time SBI simply save and Simply click were hot properties in lower segment.
The agent applied the card based on my salary but as we all know thanks to SBI agent, my address and email id was incorrect which I only found out last year. (2021 was the year when I really got interested into credit cards)
So yeah a normal card, normal limit and normal story for first card but from 2021, I took real interest in Credit cards and got 13 more cards in 13 months. If anyone will be interested, I would love to share that journey :)

Hi everyone,
I got my first card around 2015 and thru a banking friend with no hassle. It is HDFC card. I took it to just to have credit score which will be useful in future as per my friends suggestions. Since I have my salary account also in HDFC and documents went thru bankers friend. It is easy for me to get card. Later I took so many cards down the line since I have love having different cards for different offers and want have most of Bank cards thru the time. Later I got around 7 banks cards till 2018. Later I stopped collection of cards since I felt this more. And recently during Pandemic I started taking new cards and almost got 85% top Bank cards in pocket. This is my story of first and remaining credit cards!!!

vaibhav111

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Sr Moderator
Hi there , i got my first credit card from hdfc back in December 2014 and i knew it i have to keep that that statement that the only statement that i received in physical form. And i still have my hdfc credit card. And i only got it it was i was on net banking and i clicked it on card and applied and i only opened 25k minimum saving account only cause i had to deposit amazon cheque i received from usa amazon and my only account in bank of India said no and just for the cheque worth of 9k i believe i opened hdfc account and used my sister as a guarantee cause she had a salary account in hdfc .. from there and in 2022 i hold 7 credit card ..will apply for one card & getting a amex as a primary holder will be dream to get one in 2022

Subhankar

TF Ace
TF Family
Chief Mod
Hello every,
The first credit card is special for everyone. We all remember the experience of getting our first card 😃
My experience-
My first credit card was ICICI HPCL Coral, which I received in 2015. My home address at that time did not fall within any bank's serviceable area, so they asked me to apply for credit card against FD. But I needed an unsecured credit card, so I talked to my branch manager and I told him I needed an unsecured card.
He told me that... we can give you an unsecured card but for that you have to purchase an ICICI Prudential Ulip policy of Rs. 2 lakhs (minimum).
At that time I desperately needed a credit card because my business was in USA and I needed a credit card for its payment. I was unemployed that time with zero CIBIL score, No bank was offering me a credit card so I had purchased a policy of two lakh rupees at that time and got my first ever credit card ICICI HPCL coral credit card (chargeable), later icici converted that card to a lifetime free hpcl coral credit card and I'm still holding that one 😄
That's some unique thing. Though I hadn't had to sacrifice my money with something like ULIP but there was another sacrifice I had to make. I got my first cc in the year of 2020, which was a SBI Elite. As I started business 2 years back, I hadn't had enough ITR to apply for any affluent card with lower forex markup. Thus I sacrificed my pretty old FD, made a new one, and took the card against it. It had been my only card for a long 1 year 2 months after that I kept getting new cards on c2c basis (mostly). I just cancelled the card this year as FD interests were not being cashed out, but I really miss having that card, especially the BMS offer. No wonder why I've decided to go for AURUM now

pacman

TF Buzz
My First Card was getting a secured as its was my first time getting a credit card in year 2011 platiunum chip credit card as i dont had a ITR .
after that the journey continhued to all the best card in the market which are all unsecured credit cards now .

adjjoshi

TF Select
Salary account in Axis Bank, monthly salary was ~30k (Sep 2018)
Applied for Axis Neo LTF, got 1.2L limit. I have no idea how I got this much limit.
Credit Score enquiry from Axis still shows in my Credit Report, they enquired for 10k limit and gave 1.2L limit.
Never had any loan or any other product before CC that could build my Credit History/Score.

When I flew out of IGI airport in 2013 I saw my dad use his credit card to get free lounge access. It was a Citi Premier Miles card which he held for a very long time. This was a time when RuPay didn't exist, people still paid 30 dollars for lounge access and limited cards came with this perk. Today's story is completely different when every other card gives you complimentary access. I got my first card a Citi Premier Miles add-on, in 2017 when I turned 18 I got an HDFC Regalia pre-approved due to my classic savings account. I was skeptical about paid cards, until recently when I have most super-premium and exclusive cards from most banks. The goal is of course to be able to generate enough wealth that credit card points and miles become just a hobby which I enjoy without worrying too much about maximizing rewards 24x7, long way to go.

ImRage

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,
I got my first card around 2015 and thru a banking friend with no hassle. It is HDFC card. I took it to just to have credit score which will be useful in future as per my friends suggestions. Since I have my salary account also in HDFC and documents went thru bankers friend. It is easy for me to get card. Later I took so many cards down the line since I have love having different cards for different offers and want have most of Bank cards thru the time. Later I got around 7 banks cards till 2018. Later I stopped collection of cards since I felt this more. And recently during Pandemic I started taking new cards and almost got 85% top Bank cards in pocket. This is my story of first and remaining credit cards!!!
Exactly similar to my story as well my friend was in icici thou 😀 nd have credit cards from 10 diff banks

Hello every,
My experience-
I am 18 so i go for a secure card (onecard) on 12 November 2021 then my cibil generated on 1st of January then on 11th January i got the spam message from flipkart they push that message to all flipkart users that get a axis flipkart card i thik that i am not even eligible for the card so in just fun i apply for it my video KYC done on the same day the next morning get a message that i got approved for 20k limit 😎😎 after i see that it was a chargeable card so my friend suggested me to upgrade to ace ace will recover your fees then on 15 jan i apply for ACE in shared limit by customer card and got approved after all card received i got a call from hdfc bank that i have a pre approved offer for HDFC IOCL with 25k limit so i said yes and card got approved so right now i have 4 card axis ace axis flipkart hdfc iocl and onecard fd this is my journey with credit in age of 18 😎😎😎😎

My First credit card was from SBI in 2010 end.I was going for my BTech (Civil),so my mother did an FD for me and got me a card on my name.Had a limit of 80k(SBI Gold).She got me the card so she could track what spends i am doing and pay all my spends easily.Thanks to her idea,i became a miser 😂

Once i started my business after MTech, i got several cards, as of now i hold 17 cards, 12 LTF and rest are super premium cards (5k-30k)

cherryj1988

TF Select
Boring old HDFC gave pre approved offer based on debit card usage i suppose. Hardly kept ~20k in account but used their debit card a lot as it gave a decent cashback. Wasnt really much aware of CC's back then. But the pre approved CC then really helped build cibil score.