• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Memory lane: your first credit card

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Just for fun: when did you get your first credit card and any experiences you would like to share.

I got mine about 25 years back. It was a Citibank credit card and they offered it on the college campus while we were still graduating. Those days card readers were physical machines where they would take imprints of the embossed credit card numbers (that's why credits card till recently had those) and ask you to sign for verification.

IRCTC was not born then. The VT (CST) station in Mumbai had 2 ticket counters which would only accept credit cards and 50 regular counters. We used to commute to VT to book our train tickets to avoid long queues :)

Last edited:

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Material Science. I'm the foremost expert in Electrospinning of Polymeric Nanofibers and their composites 🙂
Not only is he called Plastikman by name, but he's also the foremost Plastikman by profession. 🥳🤩

I completely understood what he was saying...

polymers-13-00020-ag.png

986975_Thumb_400.jpg

I am now like:

funny_memes_about_science_cat.jpg

Last edited:

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I completely understood what he was saying...

polymers-13-00020-ag.png

986975_Thumb_400.jpg

I am now like:

funny_memes_about_science_cat.jpg
I'll try my best to simplify my explanation. I remember that in our 12th grade physics we had all studied about Milliken's oil drop experiment. In this experiment Milliken had exposed 1 drop of oil (oil which does not conduct electricity) within two electrodes having a very high voltage (in excess of 10000 V DC) applied to it. This caused the charged particles present in the oil drop to get charged (polarised) causing deformation of the oil drop.

Electrospinning, essentially makes use of the same technique, but instead of the oil drop I use a polymer solution (plastic dissolved in an organic solvent like ethanol, acetone, chloroform etc.) and subject them to a very high voltage (5000 to 70000 V DC). This causes the polymer solution drop to get deformed and elongated into fibers (but on a nano scale). This results in formation of nano fibers which are 200 times smaller than human hair.

This process had a very small throughput (1g to 1.5g) per day. But I developed a technique to scale up the production to 33g / min. This work of mine got me 3 patents and now has opened a new world of opportunities paving way for use in composites industry.

Hence, yours truly is the plastikman 😄

Last edited:

imdjay

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Many years back when I was doing my PhD, I used to receive my fellowship in Canara Bank. The manager had taken approval for giving unsecured cards to students who received their fellowship at that branch. Using the BMs discretion I got my first card from Canara Bank with a limit of 50K. I had submitted my admission offer letter, UGC notification and bank statement for my first card. Using that card I got other cards. I told them that I need the card to book flight tickets for foreign conferences and that convinced them.
Once upon a time, I was working for an IT company in Pune. Bank representatives used to come there to give lucrative offers to employees. One of my colleagues used to have an interest in Credit cards, but I used to be very skeptical about them. He was the one who pursued me in having my first credit card from ICICI which I am holding till now.

plastikman

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
B
Once upon a time, I was working for an IT company in Pune. Bank representatives used to come there to give lucrative offers to employees. One of my colleagues used to have an interest in Credit cards, but I used to be very skeptical about them. He was the one who pursued me in having my first credit card from ICICI which I am holding till now.
But I'm sure you must not have regretted taking card that time and now must be able to enjoy all the benefits that they come with 😁

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
This process had a very small throughput (1g to 1.5g) per day. But I developed a technique to scale up the production to 33g / min. This work of mine got me 3 patents and now has opened a new world of opportunities paving way for use in composites industry.
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡🫡

bravo-applause.gif

10023003.jpg

Last edited:

raghu.rokda

TF Ace
My first credit card was Axis bank neo credit card
That time I don’t know much about credit card
Axis customer called me says please take pre-approved card , I said no
Again next day , they called me please take card and
Kul milakar jabardasti pakda diya neo card

Uske 4 saal baad mujhe credit card ka chaska laga
Phir chaska 2-3 mahine raha bas

Phir khatam ho gaya 2 saal k liye

Ab phir laga hai chaska

techt

TF Legend
I'll try my best to simplify my explanation. I remember that in our 12th grade physics we had all studied about Milliken's oil drop experiment. In this experiment Milliken had exposed 1 drop of oil (oil which does not conduct electricity) within two electrodes having a very high voltage (in excess of 10000 V DC) applied to it. This caused the charged particles present in the oil drop to get charged (polarised) causing deformation of the oil drop.

Electrospinning, essentially makes use of the same technique, but instead of the oil drop I use a polymer solution (plastic dissolved in an organic solvent like ethanol, acetone, chloroform etc.) and subject them to a very high voltage (5000 to 70000 V DC). This causes the polymer solution drop to get deformed and elongated into fibers (but on a nano scale). This results in formation of nano fibers which are 200 times smaller than human hair.

One day our children will be reading along these lines about Abhishek.
How he had milked 1x cards to 33x.

techt

TF Legend

Sir,
Couldn't resist
breaking-bad-chemistry.gif

Long long back !! more than a decade back, I opened an account with HDFC and they offered a CC with 50K limit and paid if I open a FD 1L+ or 10K+ RD, that's how I got it as a student via RD route.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
It would be good if people added what was your age when you got your first credit card. I was 34 when I got my first credit card (Amazon Pay ICICI) 2 years back. Nowadays we see kids just turning 18 and getting 10-15 cards :p
Whereas, there are people like me used to think credit cards were dangerous till experiencing their first card.

It would be good if people added what was your age when you got your first credit card. I was 34 when I got my first credit card (Amazon Pay ICICI) 2 years back. Nowadays we see kids just turning 18 and getting 10-15 cards :p
Whereas, there are people like me used to think credit cards were dangerous till experiencing their first card.
My first at 23. ICICI platinum. No other cards till 2020. Then 22 cards in 2021 and 2022.

techt

TF Legend
True that.

CC s have become aggressive to extend market and catch 'em young seems to their policy. Thank God many edu portals stopped rewarding else students might fail semester exams to pay supplementary fees for rewards.

Social influencers creating peer pressure to get more cards and brands luring with card specific discounts which were not the norm in earlier days.