• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

You have been tricked!

Credit Karma

TF Premier
Indians (in general) don't value their personal data!

That's it!

How many times, has it been that we throw our most private data like PAN, Aadhar and credit card numbers on any sites that offers us "rewards" for silliest stuffs?

If you are regular readers on this community, you will find countless "tricks and hacks" to get that "cashback" and "rewards".

In exchange these new-age fin-techs gets our data for dirt cheap prices and can use this to design superior products which then will be used to milk us dry!

Don't get me wrong, I do love rewards as well!

Why do you think I am here?!

I also know that all the banks that issue CC's also employ these tactics. But at least they are tightly regulated and have long history to prove that they comply with the law of the land.

But these start-ups which receives funding from foreign countries who knows what their main agenda is behind this funding (apart from crazy profits, of course!).

If tomorrow, Chinesse government wants to know how Indians spend their money, all they have to do is fund an Indian start-up, and pump up the advertisement campaign offering ₹1000 reward on sign ups, and hundreds of thousands of sheeps will come running to grab this so called "opportunity".

This gimmicks does not work in developed countries. Their people are more educated and financially literate than us!

This finally falls on communities like this to spread awareness and encourage people to stop throwing their data for dirt cheap prices!

phani11

TF Premier

That's it!

How many times, has it been that we throw our most private data like PAN, Aadhar and credit card numbers on any sites that offers us "rewards" for silliest stuffs?

If you are regular readers on this community, you will find countless "tricks and hacks" to get that "cashback" and "rewards".

In exchange these new-age fin-techs gets our data for dirt cheap prices and can use this to design superior products which then will be used to milk us dry!

I also know that all the banks that issue CC's also employ these tactics. But at least they are tightly regulated and have long history to prove that they comply with the law of the land.

But these start-ups which receives funding from foreign countries who knows what their main agenda is behind this funding (apart from crazy profits, of course!).

If tomorrow, Chinesse government wants to know how Indians spend their money, all they have to do is fund an Indian start-up, and pump up the advertisement campaign offering ₹1000 reward on sign ups, and hundreds of thousands of sheeps will come running to grab this so called "opportunity".

This gimmicks does not work in developed countries. Their people are more educated and financially literate than us!

This finally falls on communities like this to spread awareness and encourage people to stop throwing their data for dirt cheap prices!
Exactly, 1000 is too much, I have soo many people doing refer and earn for unknown apps for just 20 rs. Or even less.
And give all the permission to the app for 20 rs.

Talking about rewards system, This is a trap started by banks and big retailers,
Now at each clothing retail, shopkeepers happily accepts credit card, because they already know that 2-3% price is already added in the product, now in this case, a person not paying by credit card, and opting cash, is also paying that extra 2-3%.

So it's always a big trap, Always make genuine and required spends. Credit card benefit is to get a little% back, but people spend double/thrice to get that little %age.

Credit Karma

TF Premier
Exactly, 1000 is too much, I have soo many people doing refer and earn for unknown apps for just 20 rs. Or even less.
And give all the permission to the app for 20 rs.

Talking about rewards system, This is a trap started by banks and big retailers,
Now at each clothing retail, shopkeepers happily accepts credit card, because they already know that 2-3% price is already added in the product, now in this case, a person not paying by credit card, and opting cash, is also paying that extra 2-3%.

So it's always a big trap, Always make genuine and required spends. Credit card benefit is to get a little% back, but people spend double/thrice to get that little %age.
This is the sad reality we live in!

But one must practise extra amount of caution to avoid traps!

Credit Karma

TF Premier

That's it!

You are no celebrity. Hence authorities will be less interested in bringing the criminals to justice if one of you gets duped!

So you have been warned!

Credit Karma

TF Premier

That's it!

And it continues -

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Well I fail to see the point here. What if our data is sold at dirt cheap prices? What if the chinese government gets to know our spend patterns? What's wrong in this? By 'data', of course I mean the data such as the ads we click, the celebrities we follow. I don't mean PII.

Duh! That's the point of collecting the information. However, they can't milk us if we don't have any milk(no pun intended). Banks hate people who use credit cards just for the gains, and never default. When these people become large in numbers, banks' agenda won't work. Same goes for these start-ups

I don't agree here. It's human tendency to seek free lunch wherever they can. Although, developed countries have better and stricter laws in place to govern this.

I don't support collecting information as well, and thank you for spreading awareness. But if someone decides that their information is worth peanuts, it's up to them to 'sell' the same.
Personally, I am tired and fed up of this information gathering. Indian government has our data, FB has our data, Apple, Alexa.. you don't know who all have our data. That's why they call privacy a myth. So I just use whatever I can as long as the pros outweigh the cons, and don't think so much about these.

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Well I fail to see the point here. What if our data is sold at dirt cheap prices? What if the chinese government gets to know our spend patterns? What's wrong in this? By 'data', of course I mean the data such as the ads we click, the celebrities we follow. I don't mean PII.

Duh! That's the point of collecting the information. However, they can't milk us if we don't have any milk(no pun intended). Banks hate people who use credit cards just for the gains, and never default. When these people become large in numbers, banks' agenda won't work. Same goes for these start-ups

I don't agree here. It's human tendency to seek free lunch wherever they can. Although, developed countries have better and stricter laws in place to govern this.

I don't support collecting information as well, and thank you for spreading awareness. But if someone decides that their information is worth peanuts, it's up to them to 'sell' the same.
Personally, I am tired and fed up of this information gathering. Indian government has our data, FB has our data, Apple, Alexa.. you don't know who all have our data. That's why they call privacy a myth. So I just use whatever I can as long as the pros outweigh the cons, and don't think so much about these.
Being a reward hunting sheep I ensure I am not giving milk to any app or site lol
I mean as long as there is no popularity and ppl using it don’t have good ratings on App Store I won’t give a try those even it gives free rewards or offer discounts
Other hand without giving pan and aadhaar we can’t do any financial transaction in India with any financial institutions
Agree that dark web silk route onion tor browsers there and even I use it for a vendor purchase locally we can’t use those
Blockchains look good in terms of privacy but lesser countries only accept it as of now

Credit Karma

TF Premier
Ever heard of Chinese loan app scams in recent news? How else do you think they got to know about "cheap data" culture of India?

Heard about tik tok? The content in China and outside of China is way more different. And even global newspapers like Wall Street Journal also acknowledged, that these social media apps do work differently in China.

Why give them any more strategic advantage when we are locking horns with them in the present by giving them our data?

Just because we made mistakes in past when all this cyber warfare was in the hindsight, we can not keep making the same mistakes again and again! Right?

We know how this data is being used (at least vaguely)
It would be stupid of us to fall prey to this again and again.

And yes, developed countries have less of this "puny rewards" going around.

Just search "free money earning hacks" on YT and you will be shocked to see how many Indians and other south Asian pop up there.

Don't get me wrong here!

I'm all for startups and financial innovations in India.

But my concern is, this is India, being the largest market for digital products, we still don't have proper "data protection bills" "the right to be forgotten".

And this gives a perfect playground for illegal activities to fester and turn this beautiful opportunities to waste.

Credit Karma

TF Premier
Being a reward hunting sheep I ensure I am not giving milk to any app or site lol
I mean as long as there is no popularity and ppl using it don’t have good ratings on App Store I won’t give a try those even it gives free rewards or offer discounts
Other hand without giving pan and aadhaar we can’t do any financial transaction in India with any financial institutions
Agree that dark web silk route onion tor browsers there and even I use it for a vendor purchase locally we can’t use those
Blockchains look good in terms of privacy but lesser countries only accept it as of now
Just few days back Labour Law Advisors made a video about "Fake Reviews"

This shocked me to the core!

I mean, if reviews can be bought, what to trust then?😨

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Just few days back Labour Law Advisors made a video about "Fake Reviews"

This shocked me to the core!

I mean, if reviews can be bought, what to trust then?😨
Situation is like the most favourite dish we taken on hand and at that time on tv some social awareness group saying that food is adulterated and all
Agreed some paid reviewers there in any product then it’s all the consumers fate

RupayMan

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If we want to point out who are all have our data, the list never ends in terms of many categories, starting from Education, Shopping, Financial, Medical, Entertainment, and what not.. You are nobody without the data.. Govt wants to link everything with Aadhar, soon they wants us to link aadhar when using public toilet too..

NewUser

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I have a simple point. How is it that collecting data leading to scams or how is it a mistake in the behalf of the consumers?

Ever heard of Chinese loan app scams in recent news? How else do you think they got to know about "cheap data" culture of India?
Maybe they guessed. It's not difficult to guess that people will take loans when their income don't match their expenses. Regardless, scam happens when the feeble common people are advertised something and results are not delivered. By collecting data, they know which sector to target, or advertise. But it's not necessarily the data that leads to these scams. It's the gullibility of the common people.

Heard about tik tok? The content in China and outside of China is way more different. And even global newspapers like Wall Street Journal also acknowledged, that these social media apps do work differently in China.

Why give them any more strategic advantage when we are locking horns with them in the present by giving them our data?
You're specifying 'what' is happening. I am asking the 'how' i.e., how collecting data by TikTok or social media is leading to chaos

But my concern is, this is India, being the largest market for digital products, we still don't have proper "data protection bills" "the right to be forgotten".
Agreed. There is a dire need of regulating data privacy.

Credit Karma

TF Premier
I have a simple point. How is it that collecting data leading to scams or how is it a mistake in the behalf of the consumers?

Maybe they guessed. It's not difficult to guess that people will take loans when their income don't match their expenses. Regardless, scam happens when the feeble common people are advertised something and results are not delivered. By collecting data, they know which sector to target, or advertise. But it's not necessarily the data that leads to these scams. It's the gullibility of the common people.

You're specifying 'what' is happening. I am asking the 'how' i.e., how collecting data by TikTok or social media is leading to chaos

Agreed. There is a dire need of regulating data privacy.
I'll just recommend you sorces to watch out for, to understand the "Great How"

1. Netflix Documentary on The Great Hack
2. A episode on 60 Min Australia
3. Article on world Economic Forum

Just go through them along with ample help of Google and googling other terms like how can financial data be misused etc.

And if guessing had worked why we don't hear Chinese loan apps in USA, Australia Europe to name a few?

Guessing doesn't work! It never has and never will!

Credit Karma

TF Premier
If you are using android, your data is already available for all to see
Please read this -

And this gives a perfect playground for illegal activities to fester and turn this beautiful opportunities to waste.

Credit Karma

TF Premier
If we want to point out who are all have our data, the list never ends in terms of many categories, starting from Education, Shopping, Financial, Medical, Entertainment, and what not.. You are nobody without the data.. Govt wants to link everything with Aadhar, soon they wants us to link aadhar when using public toilet too..
I am all for data being used for prediction and all those "good" things.

But... (read this)-
Don't get me wrong here!

I'm all for startups and financial innovations in India.

Astraea

TF Premier

That's it!

Thank you for highlighting this issue of personal data privacy in India. You are absolutely right that many individuals in India do not fully understand the value of their personal data and are willing to share it for small rewards or benefits. However, it is crucial that we become more aware of the risks associated with sharing our data, particularly with start-ups or unsecured websites.

I completely agree that regulatory bodies like RBI and Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) are more accountable and regulated when it comes to data privacy. Still, it is equally important to research the background of start-ups before sharing any personal information. We need to be cautious and understand the consequences of sharing our data.

As you mentioned, awareness and education are the keys to addressing this issue. Communities like this can play a vital role in spreading awareness and educating people on the importance of data privacy (Thanks to @TechnoFino). We must encourage people to be more mindful and informed about the data they share and where they share it.

In conclusion, it is high time that we become more responsible and conscious about data privacy, not only in India but globally. Thank you for bringing this issue to light and starting a conversation about it.

@Credit Karma Thanks for creating thread. 🙏

Let us all strive to be more responsible and informed about our personal data and make wise decisions about where and with whom we share it.