• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upgrade Your Amex Card and Get 1,35,000 MR Points

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Amex plans to start 2024 with a grand reward of 1,35,000 MR points when upgrading to a Platinum Charge card.

Users currently holding Amex Platinum Travel, Amex Platinum Reserve and Amex Gold Charge card are getting these offers.
You can see it in the app, refer to the screenshots attached below.

For the heavy spenders, this is a great deal since you get multiple loyal hotel loyal memberships and do anything concierge service.

If you don't spend a lot of money but feel the points can help, you can still upgrade for the points.

If you don't need the points, you can get the Amex Platinum Travel or the Amex MRCC card which remains the best card for monthly spends between 6K-40K.

T&C: https://www.americanexpress.com/con...ts/IA_New_Plat_RCP_Upgrade_Q1_2024_MT_TnC.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_6854.PNG
    IMG_6854.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_6855.PNG
    IMG_6855.PNG
    60.1 KB · Views: 643

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I had applied for 2 other bank credit cards last week (1 got approved, and 1 under process). Will it affect my Amex Platinum travel application? (I got MRCC 2 weeks back)

Since you're already an Amex member, these factors shouldn't affect your application and it should get approved smoothly!
You might not even need a vKYC since it was done a few days ago!

Stratosphere

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hey guys. Does anyone from the Platinum charge user community knows if the Etihad guaranteed upgrade is something that the card still offers? I am getting mixed to no answers for this query. Thank you

V360

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Hey guys. Does anyone from the Platinum charge user community knows if the Etihad guaranteed upgrade is something that the card still offers? I am getting mixed to no answers for this query. Thank you
Yes even I have the same query - can anyone share some inputs plz?

BMR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Just a quick update, received a call from the sales team

My MRCC has now become a companion to my Plat Travel

and my Plat Travel is now a companion to Platinum Charge :)

So never have to pay fees for MRCC as long as I have my Plat Travel anymore
How did you manage to get the MRCC as companion to Platinum travel ? I have asked them a few months ago and they said they cannot do that for MRCC. Not that it matters much since the spend based waiver for MRCC is just 1.5 lac which is easily achievable, but still. Did you have a prior commitment from sales guy for this arrangement, or did they do it on their own ?

BMR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So my friend applied for Plat charge on Friday 5 PM and he got the card on Tuesday. That was super quick. No income docs were asked. He did acquire Plat travel and MRCC in the last 4 months.

I have applied for a supplementary card to his Plat charge, vkyc done and now awaiting delivery details :love:

ALOAK

TF Ace
Just a quick update, received a call from the sales team

My MRCC has now become a companion to my Plat Travel

and my Plat Travel is now a companion to Platinum Charge :)

So never have to pay fees for MRCC as long as I have my Plat Travel anymore
How did you manage to get companion card to plat travel. When ever I ask they say no one should recive invite.

Tay

TF Buzz
Contributor
VIP Lounge
How did you manage to get the MRCC as companion to Platinum travel ? I have asked them a few months ago and they said they cannot do that for MRCC. Not that it matters much since the spend based waiver for MRCC is just 1.5 lac which is easily achievable, but still. Did you have a prior commitment from sales guy for this arrangement, or did they do it on their own ?
How did you manage to get companion card to plat travel. When ever I ask they say no one should recive invite.

So does that mean (if its not a companion card), one needs to pay yearly fees for MRCC (if the yearly milestone is not reached) and Plat Travel both ?

Last edited:

card_monarch

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Just caught up on the entire thread, just adding my two cents here since I have used marriot quite extensively till last year.

The best value I ever got for 1 mb point is 1.7rs at Ritz Carlton in Japan. (I think the only place where I saw more redemption was their resort in masai mara, I'm sure there are more)

Some tips regarding using mb points -
1. You will find the most value at their costliest resorts(PS: nothing in India will give worthwhile redemption) 1.4 - 2.5 (2.5 that one time ever at masai mara) Toh use the filter to only look at those.
2. There is almost no use of thinking about marriot for cheap/middle level properties as the redemption would drop to 0.5-0.9
3. Look for property atleast 6 months before (if not earlier) so that you can find those pointsavers they can bump up redemption value.

Personally speaking this year I booked everything in Thailand using accor and it felt much easier and straightforward to use. Since the math is simple you don't have to run after the best value and instead just book what makes sense to you and your family.
Well in India also you can get lucky at time. I got a value of Rs 1.48 per point at Coorg Marriott Resort and Spa in Oct 2023

bvc19296

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Finally got Amex platinum charge card approved.

Platinum Travels stays, Gold Charge card stays. New Trifecta Plat Charge, Gold Charge, Plat Travel.

Thank you @Dr. Drake @anirban.choudhury @hrish88 @Sohmel .

@D7162 your contact escalation worked. The guy who called was very helpful and Plat travel is companion card to plat charge card now. Even on 24-25L ITR also they accepted. @V360 seems you’re right on aggressive approval, anyways done with this process.

Sohmel

TF Select
I just got a call stating the same. Because I had called for nullifying / reducing the cost on my Plat Travel now that I have the Plat Charge.

They made both my Plat Travel and MRCC as companion cards. So until I have the Plat Charge, no fees on both.

And even if I discontinue my Plat Charge and keep my Plat Travel activated, no charges on the MRCC.

Sohmel

TF Select
Finally got Amex platinum charge card approved.

Platinum Travels stays, Gold Charge card stays. New Trifecta Plat Charge, Gold Charge, Plat Travel.

Thank you @Dr. Drake @anirban.choudhury @hrish88 @Sohmel .

@D7162 your contact escalation worked. The guy who called was very helpful and Plat travel is companion card to plat charge card now. Even on 24-25L ITR also they accepted. @V360 seems you’re right on aggressive approval, anyways done with this process.
Only thing I'm worried with this aggressive approval part is - points might lose their value.

Does anyone suggesting transferring all points to Marriot before any devaluation or do they give time even after announcing any devaluation?

svijayan86

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I recently got the platinum travel card 10 days back and was asking the customer service person about getting mrcc as companion card but he mentioned it is not possible…can someone please let me know if i can get any companion card for amex platinum travel card?

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I recently got the platinum travel card 10 days back and was asking the customer service person about getting mrcc as companion card but he mentioned it is not possible…can someone please let me know if i can get any companion card for amex platinum travel card?
If you don't hold a Platinum Charge then it becomes very difficult to negotiate this conversation.

As of lately, AmEx is not offering any companion cards except to the Amex Platinum Charge holders. If you hold that, even then they generally offer Amex Platinum Reserve as a companion card and convincing them to Platinum Travel is difficult.

On top of that, negotiating the MRCC as a companion card to Platinum Travel(which is already a companion card) is going to be a very difficult decision and should be tried if you're into sales or have pro negotiation skills or the right contact inside.

The easier way it to just apply for an MRCC card through an invite link so the first year is completely free! And then the second year would be ₹1500 which can further be negotiated to a 50% off renewal offer which then becomes ₹750 per year. This is way more feasible and will save you the hassle of multiple attempts of fighting with the AmEx team.

Last edited:

vikramsrit

TF Select
If you don't hold a Platinum Charge then it becomes very difficult to negotiate this conversation.

As of lately, AmEx is not offering any companion cards except to the Amex Platinum Charge holders. If you hold that, even then they generally offer Amex Platinum Reserve as a companion card and convincing them to Platinum Travel is difficult.

On top of that, negotiating the MRCC as a companion card to Platinum Travel(which is already a companion card) is going to be a very difficult decision and should be tried if you're into sales or have pro negotiation skills or the right contact inside.

The easier way it to just apply for an MRCC card through an invite link so the first year is completely free! And then the second year would be ₹1500 which can further be negotiated to a 50% off renewal offer which then becomes ₹750 per year. This is way more feasible and will save you the hassle of multiple attempts of fighting with the AmEx team.
I hold Amex Plat Travel and recently got approved for Plat Charge card. Plat Travel is being offered as a companion card without any annual fee.
It all depends on what card are you holding and how long you've been a customer of Amex. I've been holding Amex cards for more than 8 years now, and none of my requests related to what I want as an add-on card and what I want as a companion card have ever been declined. Of course, it needs to make logical sense.

sam609619

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Hi I have applied for Plat charge via email they sent to me today ,
Just entered my plat travel card number on which , platinum charge was offered .

Got one notification thats it , but I was not asked to login to my exsisting amex account .

Now what Do I next ,
Will it be automatically processed or I have to do some video Kyc ,
Am using 2 amex cards since 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.png
    IMG_3642.png
    67 KB · Views: 20

vikramsrit

TF Select
Hi I have applied for Plat charge via email they sent to me today ,
Just entered my plat travel card number on which , platinum charge was offered .

Got one notification thats it , but I was not asked to login to my exsisting amex account .

Now what Do I next ,
Will it be automatically processed or I have to do some video Kyc ,
Am using 2 amex cards since 2021.
I hold Plat Travel and when I applied for the upgrade via the link they shared, I was asked to do VKYC immediately after submitting the application. If you have a Gold Charge, I think the VKYC may not be needed, but not sure. Check with Customer support in a day if you don't hear anything.