• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

CV Points Suggestion needed: Club Vistara or AirIndia Flying Returns?

R@J

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hi All,

Need your suggestions for an airmile transfer from Axis ER.

In the past, I have been using all the Magnus points for Club VIstara points, and was able to use them decently as I travel often and vistara route is available for most of my destinations. I prefer staying in a 4-5 star value for money hotel from MMT, rather than high end hotels like Mariott, etc. I do travel international, but that's only once a year - hence, not blocking my miles in an international carrier, specially when I dont know the next destination (this is my thought - happy to be corrected/updated)

In this scenario, transfer to CV has made sense and good use for me till now.

Now I wanted to ask, if I should transfer my last leg of Magnus points to Club Vistara or Air India Flying returns (now that AI option is available in Axis and both are going to be merged by next FY)?

Any inputs/tips/inside info/suggestions pls. Does AI FR provide good redemption options, so that I can even use them before merger with Club vistara??

Thanks a lot for reading this and welcome any help :)

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Hi All,

In the past, I have been using all the Magnus points for Club VIstara points, and was able to use them decently as I travel often and vistara route is available for most of my destinations. I prefer staying in a 4-5 star value for money hotel from MMT, rather than high end hotels like Mariott, etc. I do travel international, but that's only once a year - hence, not blocking my miles in an international carrier, specially when I dont know the next destination (this is my thought - happy to be corrected/updated)

Now I wanted to ask, if I should transfer my last leg of Magnus points to Club Vistara or Air India Flying returns (now that AI option is available in Axis and both are going to be merged by next FY)?

Any inputs/tips/inside info/suggestions pls. Does AI FR provide good redemption options, so that I can even use them before merger with Club vistara??

Why don’t you check for yourself if it makes sense to transfer to AI? Last time I checked AI had a very high mileage requirement compared to UK. For example, BLR-DEL requires 7.5K miles on UK and the same through AI requires 13k miles. If I were you I’d stick to CV points.

Last edited:

R@J

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Why don’t you check for yourself if it makes sense to transfer to AI? Last time I checked AI had a very high mileage requirement compared to UK. For example, BLR-DEL requires 7.5K miles on UK and the same through AI requires 13k miles. If I were you I’d stick to CV points.
thanks @CARDBITRAGE for your inputs, really helpful! I saw the miles calculator for both the airlines and found out same thing. But I was not sure of the nitty gritties and if I was missing on something....hence, asked for opinion :)

On a side note, in the past I have declined requests for getting Magnus card in 2022s/early 2023, because I thought 25k ER points = 5K INR...which I can get from my SBI CB card (totally ignoring the airmiles angle)...so, why to take such an expensive card !!! Such a naive I was!! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to @TechnoFino community for acting as such a strong knowledge sharing platform!

tryabp

TF Ace
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Transfer points to Air India only when u need to travel specific routes offered only by AI. Otherwise Vistara is better. After merger we have to see how the loyalty program is structured.

aayusharyan

TF Ace
Hi All,

One more thing, Since you said you travel internationally. AI is part of Start Alliance I believe. So, you need to look in that sense as well and see if that is beneficial for you. Basically having status with AI will allow you perks for any Start Alliance airline. Having that with Vistara, will not. I think their global network is pretty good. So, you can look into that, even if you are not sure where you will be travelling next, you don't necessarily need to travel with AI to get those miles. Travelling with any Alliance member, you can get the miles credited for your FR account.

• Love
Reactions: R@J
thanks @CARDBITRAGE for your inputs, really helpful! I saw the miles calculator for both the airlines and found out same thing. But I was not sure of the nitty gritties and if I was missing on something....hence, asked for opinion :)

On a side note, in the past I have declined requests for getting Magnus card in 2022s/early 2023, because I thought 25k ER points = 5K INR...which I can get from my SBI CB card (totally ignoring the airmiles angle)...so, why to take such an expensive card !!! Such a naive I was!! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to @TechnoFino community for acting as such a strong knowledge sharing platform!
Sorry for asking noob ques, but I am at place where you were. I am not very mature in CC game. I do have SBI CC and do most transaction from it. Never thought of getting high end card thinking 5% CB is good enough and stright forward. Whereas eg , with magus it would be so much work to take care of conversions and then make sure you don't waste those conversation points of hotels, airlines etc so use it before expiry.

I am thinking you must have shifted your exp expenses from SBI CB to other cards. Pls guide me how you did it and how well is the conversion benefit in terms of return in respect to any CB card

abhishek0882

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Basically having status with AI will allow you perks for any Start Alliance airline. Having that with Vistara, will not.
Completely digressing from the topic, my question is, once the airlines merge, will the Gold Status at Vistara (via VI card) be any good? As in, will there be a status match on Star Alliance or will the Gold on Vistara after merger will be applicable only to domestic flights or something like that/. What could be the possible scenarios? I know maybe know one can know for sure right now but maybe if some experts can give their opinions on the possibilities?

Reactions: R@J

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Is anyone aware of Taxes part for BOM BLR business class miles booking using flying returns?

Reason I am interested in this specific route is:
1. New A350 - 900 experience for total duration of 4 hrs 15 min as there is stop at MAA
2. Already have some ~5K miles lying in flying returns. Can top it up from Axis ER and complete the booking
3. Miles required for business class is 11K where as revenue booking is at 20K

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
Is anyone aware of Taxes part for BOM BLR business class miles booking using flying returns?

Reason I am interested in this specific route is:
1. New A350 - 900 experience for total duration of 4 hrs 15 min as there is stop at MAA
2. Already have some ~5K miles lying in flying returns. Can top it up from Axis ER and complete the booking
3. Miles required for business class is 11K where as revenue booking is at 20K
Are you sure about the mileage requirement? I think it should be around 16k points one way. Better buy an economy revenue fare and upgrade with 8k points.

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yes I think you are right.... 11K miles are mostly for Premium Economy. I wish they mentioned it clearly

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 5.32.17 PM.png

sourpai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Are you sure about the mileage requirement? I think it should be around 16k points one way. Better buy an economy revenue fare and upgrade with 8k points.
What would be the process to upgrade from Eco to business? Can it happen via manage booking section or I will have to call them? Thanks in advance

CARDBITRAGE

TF Ace
What would be the process to upgrade from Eco to business? Can it happen via manage booking section or I will have to call them? Thanks in advance
You can use the “Upgrde using FR points” option online or you can call them. Both works. But do check with them for the points required to upgrade before making the booking.

Rags

TF Select
So I finally booked Economy ticket on Air India flexi fare and upgraded to business class with 7200 miles. Diff between normal fare and flexi plus fare was 1.5K, but mile upgrade requirements were quite higher. Aircraft is Airbus A350

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.19.43 PM.png
Good choice indeed