• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

[Sharing] Personal Finance Tracker Google Sheet

newIntern

TF Buzz
Hi everyone,

In my previous post about Which cards to use for my spendings (~4L), some of you mentioned wanting to know how I track my expenses. So, I'm happy to share my personal Google Sheet for expense tracking!

This sheet helps me record all my spending, including:

1. Category of spending
  2. Card used
  3. Transaction reason
  4. Quarterly and annual spending
  5. Credit card bill payment
Columns Explained:

While the columns are mostly self-explanatory, here's a quick guide:

How to Use:

1. Create new tabs: Create a new tab for each month in your Google Sheet.
  2. Annual spending summary: The "Spent Summary" tab shows your annual spending for all cards, UPI, and cash. This is useful for tracking rewards based on yearly or quarterly spending and monitoring how much you need to spend to waive off annual card fees.
  3. Monthly spending breakdown: At the bottom of each month's tab, you'll find the total spent by category and payment method (card & UPI).
Data Entry:

• Transaction reason: Use this column to note the date and reason for the transaction (e.g., 01 Jan - Self Electricity Bill).
  • Amount: Enter the transaction amount.
  • For: This column helps track expenses for yourself and your home (ghar).
  • Paid with: This column lists all your credit cards. You can edit it and add new cards. The total for this column will be automatically calculated and displayed at the bottom.
  • Remark: Use this for any additional notes about the transaction.
  • Store Type: This column is optional and can be used to specify the store or platform where you made the transaction.
  • Category: This is an important column. You can edit the categories to match your spending habits. The total for this column will be automatically calculated and displayed at the bottom.
  • Online/Offline: Use this to track online vs. offline purchases, as some credit cards offer rewards only for one or the other.
Notes:

• Transactions under "Fixed / Recurring Transactions" are for tracking recurring expenses but are not used in spending calculations.
  • "Ghar ke bills" section: For this section I just copy paste transaction info from above rows, it comes handy if I want to go back I have a look at some transaction which I made for my home, feel free to delete it.
I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Google Sheet URL [Click here]

I would love to know your opinion, Please leave your comment & feedback so that I can improve it further & share again with you guys.

Please also share your sheets or methods of tracking expenses

Last edited: