• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

SCB Ultimate vs Axis Ace

sd.ac

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I realize this is a comparison between an entry level card and a premium card but I am confused

I recently got the SCB Ultimate card. So far, I have used the Axis Ace for utilities at 5% and at 2% for offline spends. I do not want two paid Visa cards. If I were to give-up the Axis Ace card, what would be a good approach to paying electricity and utility bills using the SCB Ultimate card?

Amazon pay does not allow loads with a credit card (anymore). I could buy APay gift vouchers from Amazon using the Ultimate card for 3.3% returns, load APay and then pay my bills. Any suggestions to do this with better returns?

Thank you

sd.ac

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Returning to my original post in this thread: I recently found out that there is a Rs. 99 redemption fee for the SCB Ultimate. So, if I redeem 10,000 points for a Rs. 10,000 voucher I would forfeit Rs. 100 or 1%. Doesn't this put in on par with the Ace card (3.3%-1% ~ 2%)?

Am I missing something? Obviously, for points > 20,000 or so, the card wins over the Ace - but then there is the pain of going through the redemption process vs. direct cashback...

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Returning to my original post in this thread: I recently found out that there is a Rs. 99 redemption fee for the SCB Ultimate. So, if I redeem 10,000 points for a Rs. 10,000 voucher I would forfeit Rs. 100 or 1%. Doesn't this put in on par with the Ace card (3.3%-1% ~ 2%)?

Am I missing something? Obviously, for points > 20,000 or so, the card wins over the Ace - but then there is the pain of going through the redemption process vs. direct cashback...
₹5,00,000 spend on ace will give you ₹10,000 cashback (2%)
₹5,00,000 spend on SCB ultimate will give you ₹16,500 (3.3%) - ₹117

Picture1.png

Last edited:

sd.ac

TF Select
VIP Lounge
₹5,00,000 spend on ace will give you ₹10,000 cashback (2%)
₹5,00,000 spend on SCB ultimate will give you ₹16,500 (3.3%) - ₹117

thank you. I see the advantage clearly for a 5L spend. large spends, for me, go on my infinia. I have these two cards (Ace and Ultimate) for smaller/other spends. At a spend of Rs 9,000 they give the same reward. I think the Ultimate would make sense for me only as a primary card - not as a backup (unless fuel spends or wallet loads were the focus).

Reactions: CMG

manikP

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

I think your calculation is wrong, its 1% of 3.3% not 1 % of total spends.

So 3.3 - 1% =3.267

Last edited:

sd.ac

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Yes, we lost 1% here. Same applies to HDFC, ICICI, SBI, IDFC, YES when redeemed for gift vouchers.

true but with an Infinia or DCB the main use case is for travel where there is no redemption fee (a points-limit exists but no fee). Here - for the SCB Ultimate - the voucher is the main use case so it ought to be without a fee…

sd.ac

TF Select
VIP Lounge
It is still 3.26% reward rate instead of 3.3%.
Perhaps I am missing something? If I spend Rs. 10,000 on the Ultimate card, I recieve 10,000*3.3/100=330 points. If I choose to redeem these 330 points, I will need to pay Rs. 116 as the fee, so my net gain is 330-116=114.

i think what is being pointed out is that the reward rate varies a lot depending on the amount being spent/redeemed - i agree.

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Perhaps I am missing something? If I spend Rs. 10,000 on the Ultimate card, I recieve 10,000*3.3/100=330 points. If I choose to redeem these 330 points, I will need to pay Rs. 116 as the fee, so my net gain is 330-116=114.

i think what is being pointed out is that the reward rate varies a lot depending on the amount being spent/redeemed - i agree.
330-116=214 not 114

It totally depends on the spends. You can see in the graph that when spends increase reward rate increases (due to 117 redemption cost)
Picture12.png

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge

Your net gain is 214 - i.e 2.14%. still better than Ace

Vishnu

TF Select
Your net gain is 214 - i.e 2.14%. still better than Ace
I dont feel you can conclude so easily, especially when you factor in the difference in annual and renewal fee, as well as the flat 5 percent statement credit when it comes to utility payments through gpay. If you look in that perspective reward rate of ace is definitely more than 2 percent, but one can only ascertain absolute reward rate considering their individual statement. Best idea is to fully use ace and no other credit card for two months (considering the effect of possible bi-monthly billing) for all spends, similarly use Ultimate for the next 2 months, take out the extraordinary transaction (incurred for specific non recurring transaction) if any and calculate the reward rate after considering redemption fee and annual fee.

My last month ace bill was ₹20,900 and cashback earned was ₹756. Note that i have an airtel axis card, so my swiggy, zomato,phone, electricity and gas upto the ceiling limit of airtel card is fully utilised and balance if any is only spend by me for axis ace. Also I only have fixed charge (₹160) as electricity bill because of Solar connection. My reward rate is 3.61 percent for this particular billing month.
Note- I didnt incur any insurance, fuel or wallet spends in my last billing cycle through my axis ace card.

Last edited:

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I dont feel you can conclude so easily, especially when you factor in the difference in annual and renewal fee, as well as the flat 5 percent statement credit when it comes to utility payments through gpay. If you look in that perspective reward rate of ace is definitely more than 2 percent, but one can only ascertain absolute reward rate considering their individual statement. Best idea is to fully use ace and no other credit card for two months (considering the effect of possible bi-monthly billing) for all spends, similarly use Ultimate for the next 2 months, take out the extraordinary transaction (incurred for specific non recurring transaction) if any and calculate the reward rate after considering redemption fee and annual fee.

My last month ace bill was ₹20,900 and cashback earned was ₹756. Note that i have an airtel axis card, so my swiggy, zomato,phone, electricity and gas upto the ceiling limit of airtel card is fully utilised and balance if any is only spend by me for axis ace. Also I only have fixed charge (₹160) as electricity bill because of Solar connection. My reward rate is 3.61 percent for this particular billing month.
I agree. My analysis was based on the previous messages. i.e. spends on 10,000 on ace vs scb u on 2% and 3.3%(with 117 redemption fee)