• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Really frustrated with AMEX

So, last year, in the month of October, I applied for an amex card for the first time, it was MRCC I think. And it was rejected because of address issue, as I mentioned an address different from my Aadhar address. My Aadhar address is of Delhi and I live in Bengaluru. I contacted customer care, they asked me to apply for another credit card.
I applied for Plat Travel and due to a glitch on amex website, there were 2 applications. The application was rejected again saying internal policy. Again, I called customer care and they did not provide any details, asked me to apply for lower variant cards. I applied for gold charge and even smart earn and both were rejected. Again due to internal policy and customer care did not provide any additional detail. I even emailed the customer care head but got the same generic response. I raised a complaint with customer care as well, I received a call 2 months later telling me to apply for a new card after 3 months from last application. Again no info on why applications were rejected. Then within 1 month, I got multiple calls, asking me apply again once 90 days are over.

So, after more than 100 days from my last application, I applied again for Gold charge and again it was rejected and I got an email saying rejected due to internal policy. Again I called customer care and they are saying they can't disclose anything.

My salary is 187k per month after tax, so that shouldn't be an issue. I already hold multiple credit cards(including DCB) from multiple banks with good limits. My credit utilisation ratio remains in the range of 3-5%. My cibil score flucuates between 750 and 765.
I am really frustrated with this. Isn't there an RBI guideline saying they must disclose what the reason was for rejection. What can I do here. Is there anyone who can help with this. And can I make a complaint against American Express and at least get cibil inquiries removed at least.

EDIT: I was able to connect with someone in AMEX, who reopened the declined application and my card was approved without having to apply again.

Last edited:

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
So, last year, in the month of October, I applied for an amex card for the first time, it was MRCC I think. And it was rejected because of address issue, as I mentioned an address different from my Aadhar address. My Aadhar address is of Delhi and I live in Bengaluru. I contacted customer care, they asked me to apply for another credit card.
I applied for Plat Travel and due to a glitch on amex website, there were 2 applications. The application was rejected again saying internal policy. Again, I called customer care and they did not provide any details, asked me to apply for lower variant cards. I applied for gold charge and even smart earn and both were rejected. Again due to internal policy and customer care did not provide any additional detail. I even emailed the customer care head but got the same generic response. I raised a complaint with customer care as well, I received a call 2 months later telling me to apply for a new card after 3 months from last application. Again no info on why applications were rejected. Then within 1 month, I got multiple calls, asking me apply again once 90 days are over.

So, after more than 100 days from my last application, I applied again for Gold charge and again it was rejected and I got an email saying rejected due to internal policy. Again I called customer care and they are saying they can't disclose anything.

My salary is 187k per month after tax, so that shouldn't be an issue. I already hold multiple credit cards(including DCB) from multiple banks with good limits. My credit utilisation ratio remains in the range of 3-5%. My cibil score flucuates between 750 and 765.
I am really frustrated with this. Isn't there an RBI guideline saying they must disclose what the reason was for rejection. What can I do here. Is there anyone who can help with this. And can I make a complaint against American Express and at least get cibil inquiries removed at least.
@BestBanker
He can help you

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Nah, that guy is as useless as those AMEX customer care people. I contacted him last time as well, he just asked me to apply for another card and use his referral link. He just tells you things about credit card application which u already know. He just wants you to use his referral link at the end.
You can be critical but say or use useless for anyone.
I hope you understand and edit it

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge

Contact me via DM ..I will try to help you.
I had done a few previously rejected cases, but had to say not as many times as you were.

Still I will try my level best.

There would have been some generic technical issue with your application, until we find out that and remedy it, it seems your applications would get rejected
If you are interested, DM me

BestBanker

TF Ace
Banker
Nah, that guy is as useless as those AMEX customer care people. I contacted him last time as well, he just asked me to apply for another card and use his referral link. He just tells you things about credit card application which u already know. He just wants you to use his referral link at the end.
I am sharing referral links of the guys here not mine . I feel bad when an application gets rejected but am happy in your case :)

drsel

TF Legend

I think you were saved in time, because Amex just devalued both MRCC and Gold.
They have not ruled out further devaluations in future, so it is more than likely to happen again

Now their Gold collection offers only 6000 Amazon pay (worth Rs.5400) for 18000 points, which makes the point value hardly 30 paisa.

drsel

TF Legend
I closed my Amex MRCC card a few months back, because I did not want to pay the renewal fee.

Then a member of Techofino offered it to me first year fee and he would also get 8000 points, so I applied again.

But they said that since you have recently closed your card after using it for 5 years, we cannot give it to you again

jainjain8396

TF Buzz

Had a terrible experience too with Amex.
Somewhat similar.
File a complaint with RBI.
You will get the card mostly.

I did twice and got Travel plat and Gold

minhazuddin

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I think you were saved in time, because Amex just devalued both MRCC and Gold.
They have not ruled out further devaluations in future, so it is more than likely to happen again

Now their Gold collection offers only 6000 Amazon pay (worth Rs.5400) for 18000 points, which makes the point value hardly 30 paisa.
How 6000 Amazon pay is worth 5400 ??

minhazuddin

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Magnus burgundy holders get 9.6% return buying Amazon pay vouchers on Grabdeals 2x
HDFC Infinia holders get 15.55--2.95=12.60% return buying Amazon pay vouchers on Smartbuy 5x
But how Amex's "Gold collection offers only 6000 Amazon pay (worth Rs.5400) for 18000 points"??

Riya

TF Ace

Your cibil report be like Amex Amex Amex Amex Amex Amex Amex...

drsel

TF Legend
But how it is worth 5400 ??
It may be worth 6000 to you but
1) Infinia card holders get 12.6% return when they buy Amazon pay vouchers on Smartbuy 5x (incl. 2.95% fee)
so it is effectively available at 5244 for them.

2) Magnus Burgundy card holders get 9.6% return when they buy Amazon pay vouchers on Grabdeals 2x
so it is effectively available at 5424 for them

Last edited: