• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Reality of American Express Centurion (a.k.a Amex Black Card)

It sounds like the tirade of bitter guy who's trying to get is joining & annual fees back.

He doesn't really have any complaint. There was no promise that Amex backtracked on. He just had expectations and is disappointed that his 11 lacs didn't get him very far.

If he had done a 5 minute google search he would have found out all this before he joined.

For the guy who complains about 3.5% international transaction fees. He's not an ideal Centurian customer.

I think he just paid the fees in josh when he got the invite and is regretting paying such high fees.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
agreed, this is actually the first complaint i heave heard regarding centurion otherwise all other reviews i have heard on google are regarding how good their services are.
It sounds like the tirade of bitter guy who's trying to get is joining & annual fees back.

He doesn't really have any complaint. There was no promise that Amex backtracked on. He just had expectations and is disappointed that his 11 lacs didn't get him very far.

If he had done a 5 minute google search he would have found out all this before he joined.

For the guy who complains about 3.5% international transaction fees. He's not an ideal Centurian customer.

I think he just paid the fees in josh when he got the invite and is regretting paying such high fees.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
yes even i have read it..Wish i grow enough get amex centurion :D
My aim of getting infinia changed to centurion because hdfc will never give infinia :D
the only problem with amex in india is very low acceptability at pos machines
specifically due to 1% extra mdr over mc and visa.
this makes the shopkeers not keep amex enbled pos everywhere.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family
the only problem with amex in india is very low acceptability at pos machines
specifically due to 1% extra mdr over mc and visa.
this makes the shopkeers not keep amex enbled pos everywhere.
yes but recently amex is offering discounted MDR for gocery and few retails stores
Recently one of the store near to my locality started accepting amex

agreed, this is actually the first complaint i heave heard regarding centurion otherwise all other reviews i have heard on google are regarding how good their services are.

Oh there are plenty of other complaints. Amex services especially the "do anything" nonsense on Centurian is way over hyped. I've heard specific incidences from Centurian holders that the service delivery is quite poor and no where close to US Centurian. It's largely a Citibank Prestige/HDFC Infinia level concierge service.

That being said... this guy's is complaining publicly to try and get his fees back but I guess it's to late for that.. so probably just to vent. He has no real complaints about Amex doing anything wrong or illegal or failing to keep a specific commitment. So there's no question of a refund.

His complaint is why doesn't Amex build a separate lounge for Centurian card holders instead of blocking of a section in the Amex Centurian lounge! That's just so stupid. As someone who has been using an Amex for 28 years and I guess a Platinum for some part of that, he would have already visited Centurian lounges before and seen how they are partitioned. F-ing idiot.

Just a bitter guy with buyers remorse.

sxchzy

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Oh there are plenty of other complaints. Amex services especially the "do anything" nonsense on Centurian is way over hyped. I've heard specific incidences from Centurian holders that the service delivery is quite poor and no where close to US Centurian. It's largely a Citibank Prestige/HDFC Infinia level concierge service.

That being said... this guy's is complaining publicly to try and get his fees back but I guess it's to late for that.. so probably just to vent. He has no real complaints about Amex doing anything wrong or illegal or anything. So there's no question of a refund.

Just a bitter guy with buyers remorse.
agredd you cant compare apples and oranges
amex has a better network in us compared to india

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Like @xywowowvw mentioned, maybe he too heard good things about the centurion card.

Now about 3.5% Intl. fee don't get me wrong, but I completely agree with the guy. He is right, an ultra-premium card such as this, should not carry such high %age, when lower tier premium cards are charging 0-1% fee. You got to understand, most card holders like him are bound to make high value intl. transactions and surely 3.5% to anyone (who has made a business from scratch) will pinch. When one is used to being catered by wealth management offers, such meager charges are waived off. I am sure most of us are on wealth managed portfolios of our Indian banks and see the difference, for us so many charges are not there. If I am recalling correctly, Axis charges BS charges for NEFTs as well to people who hold a standard banking with them. Those small chargers mean nothing to most of us, we won't even mind paying for it but if we are getting rid of such charges then why not. I am game for it.

About his other issues. We all can see he has been a member since 95 and must have been offered this card after making continues high purchases. This guy would have been fine with his Amex Plat with ~60k fee. But he clearly sees the benefits he is getting are no different that the 60k card, yet he is paying 11L. Hmm.. that's a rip off to him. We all may argue that he may not an ideal Centurian customer but trust me anyone who has built something knows every penny of it. Had he been given the same kind of service as promised, I don't think we'll be seeing this post. I remember he mentioned about sending out emails for "do anything" requests, thats plain BS from Amex to me. If I paid 11Lacs, I expect a 30 sec phone pick up service from them. Heck my branch manager, RM and Burgundy folks do that for me. If Axis plays it right, I might move to Private in the future.

Like @xywowowvw mentioned, maybe he too heard good things about the centurion card.

Now about 3.5% Intl. fee don't get me wrong, but I completely agree with the guy.

About his other issues. We all can see he has been a member since 95 and must have been offered this card after making continues high purchases. This guy would have been fine with his Amex Plat with ~60k fee. But he clearly sees the benefits he is getting are no different that the 60k card, yet he is paying 11L. Hmm.. that's a rip off to him. We all may argue that he may not an ideal Centurian customer but trust me anyone who has built something knows every penny of it. Had he been given the same kind of service as promised, I don't think we'll be seeing this post. I remember he mentioned about sending out emails for "do anything" requests, thats plain BS from Amex to me. If I paid 11Lacs, I expect a 30 sec phone pick up service from them. Heck my branch manager, RM and Burgundy folks do that for me. If Axis plays it right, I might move to Private in the future.

I disagree with you on the 3.5%. But that's not the issue. Amex clearly mentions this markup and this is a markup that this guy would have been paying for ages. Just because he "feels" he's now entitled pay a lesser markup is no reason for Amex to refund his 11L fees.

Also, you're missing the point. If this was a complaint that Amex Centurian is dog$hit... then that's fine - he's entitled to his opinion. But that's not what this is. This guy is demanding fees back because he had higher expectations, and because Amex did not meet the expectations he had set in his mind Amex should refund his fees. This meritless complaining to RBI and Consumer Affairs is idiotic and childish.

Just because Amex did not meet his grandiose expectations doesn't entitle him to a refund. Which is all that the purpose of his post is. The points he has raised are idiotic/cheap/dumb/stupid or a combination thereof. None of this is grounds for getting a refund which is all that he wants.

He realized he got in too deep and after the initial euphoria he's thinking "what the f did I just do... I can't spend 11L on card fees... I need to get my money back somehow". There is just no justification to refund his fees just because he's disappointed. He's just bringing public ridicule on himself.

Last edited: