• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Psychology of Credit Card Spending: why we overspend and how can we stop this

TechnoFino

Founder
TF Family
Founder
Admin
Hello TFCians,
"I have posted an article on the TF Blog regarding the psychology of credit card spending - why we overspend and how we can prevent it.
Read it here: https://www.technofino.in/psycholog...nding-overspending-and-strategies-to-stop-it/
In the article, I shared my opinion and a rule that everyone should follow to avoid overspending.

Credit cards can be double-edged swords, and I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

How do you prevent yourself from overspending when using a credit card? Let's discuss."

phagocyte536

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
These attraction of spend based milestone benefits is a huge psychological tactic to make us spend more. I would have never thought about investing in NPS or paying rent with a credit card and paying extra 1-2%.
Seriously. I like infinia more over magnus for this reason.

Cardmarvel

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
These attraction of spend based milestone benefits is a huge psychological tactic to make us spend more. I would have never thought about investing in NPS or paying rent with a credit card and paying extra 1-2%.
Why would you consider paying rent or investing in NPS as wrong? IMV those are some of the best ways to hit the milestone (as long as rent payment was eligible)

starstruck

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
In my mind I just decrease the account balance with the credit spend. - Like I was very scared of credit cards when I started out so its pretty automatic at this point.
Same Here. Maintain a google excel sheet basis Bill generation dates of all cards. Total sum tells me how much money will be gone from my salary when they come.

I used to use Phonepe UPI for payments where credit cards were refused. Millennia for all other spends. After taking the Tata Neu card(LTF using a top from this forum), I can now put all my spends, including UPI, on HDFC cards. Helps in keeping a running tally.

thanix

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Why would you consider paying rent or investing in NPS as wrong? IMV those are some of the best ways to hit the milestone (as long as rent payment was eligible)
I guess the post was about paying extra for these transactions. I also belonged to the category as I never allowed to charge extra for any service. Instead of credit card, I will simply use debit card earlier and UPI later.

bonheur

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I've been thinking about opening a second bank account anyway, but @TechnoFino's strategy to do that for keeping better track of cc spends makes the case even stronger.

My primary account is with HDFC, and a dormant IndusInd account. Any suggestions on whether I should open a second HDFC account (for easy TPT + Platinum dc), or revive the IndusInd one, or try another bank? If I go with HDFC, will they need a second mobile number (which I do have) or can they open a new account against my primary phone and email itself?

Karthik24

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
If i am transferring all the amount to credit card (even before the bill generates).. will it have any impact on Cibil?

Karthik24

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Care to elaborate on how is it linked to psychology of credit card spending?
Not related to psychology.. but on the solution to stop overspending... without having to create secondary account.. if we instantly transfer from primary to CC account

WhoU

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Not related to psychology.. but on the solution to stop overspending... without having to create secondary account.. if we instantly transfer from primary to CC account
Okay I get it now. I think prepayment will not hugely impact your credit score, though it will mean you have a very low credit utilization.

I would suggest to have a dedicated savings account for credit card bill payment (which also gives some cashback) and transfer money to this account as soon as you use a CC. Pay 7 days before due date to earn maximum interest benefit.

fcmaTanveer

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
I used to use Phonepe UPI for payments where credit cards were refused. Millennia for all other spends. After taking the Tata Neu card(LTF using a top from this forum), I can now put all my spends, including UPI, on HDFC cards. Helps in keeping a running tally.
can you please help me to get connect with (Top from this forum)? I am having HDFC Regalia LTF and wants to get Tata neu infinity LTF

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
But by doing so , you are not leveraging the main feature of credit cards , that is interest free 48-50 days . Rewards are just a by-product of credit card , main feature is interest free time .
My funda is that if you are only using credit card to earn rewards , most probably you have entered the reward race , and there is a 95% chance that you are doing Manufactured spends

caabhi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
It is very important to keep the usage of CC under check so as to not get yourself in debt trap due to the exorbitant interest rate applicable. This is more to do with financial discipline though. Advice of @TechnoFino is useful for people who are skeptical and who fear about the overspending and his advice helps in ringfencing this particular concern.

For advanced users here in the forum, who have mastered the art of dealing with the credit this is not applicable.

I agree with the views of @anirban.choudhury, interest free period is useful and one of the main benefit of CC apart from building credit history.

Survivor35

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
But by doing so , you are not leveraging the main feature of credit cards , that is interest free 48-50 days . Rewards are just a by-product of credit card , main feature is interest free time .
My funda is that if you are only using credit card to earn rewards , most probably you have entered the reward race , and there is a 95% chance that you are doing Manufactured spends
true .I agree on this

D

Deleted member 6719

Completely agree. I find it funny when people chase rewards like 10k coupon from taj phaj on spending 1.5lacs on their ShamX card....errr...
Haters gonna hate. But it's true that in India, this company runs on inciting greed in potential customers (whereas in reality they're getting peanuts).