• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Postpaid SIM card: Hard CIBIL enquiries?

RevEng

TF Premier
I learned yesterday that SIM providers check the credit score before issuing a postpaid connection. They may deny the service due to bad score and waive off security deposits for customers with good credit scores.

I want to know how these companies pull the credit score/report and do they report anything to credit agency.

I searched on the internet but most results were for ola paylater service called "Ola Money Postpaid". Nothing for actual postpaid Sim cards.

akshayhs

TF Ace
I am surprised to hear about this practice. It might be an inexisting practice.

In Feb 2022 I converted my prepaid AirTel connection to Postpaid family plan. The person who was assigned came and took ID proofs for all 3 numbers and gave me a postpaid sim. Nothing else. They didn't ask for security deposits or pull my credit score. I still use it actively.

NOOBY

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I learned yesterday that SIM providers check the credit score before issuing a postpaid connection. They may deny the service due to bad score and waive off security deposits for customers with good credit scores.

I want to know how these companies pull the credit score/report and do they report anything to credit agency.

I searched on the internet but most results were for ola paylater service called "Ola Money Postpaid". Nothing for actual postpaid Sim cards.
what ???

did they ask for PAN card details so that they can check credit history and score ?

as I dont think they can get that info via Aadhar o_O

akshayhs

TF Ace
@akshayhs @NOOBY - Snippets from JIO and Airtel postpaid TnC
jio.png airtel.jpg
I called the person immediately after reading this, who initiated the procedures for the connection. He said I have a credit limit of 12k on my account and that I wasn't asked for any security deposits or credit score pulled as they didn't have any instructions from their manager (whom I also know of, for a long time). So I got the connection but didn't go though this hassle.

RupayMan

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yeah. My parents are under my plan and they get to use it for free (I still pay for the whole bill but don't ask them for anything basically xD)
No wifi in home? Basically mobile data not useful much in home if we have broadband.. i use 3 months 6 GB data only for payments outside in UPI. It depends on P2P.

akshayhs

TF Ace
No wifi in home? Basically mobile data not useful much in home if we have broadband.. i use 3 months 6 GB data only for payments outside in UPI. It depends on P2P.
I do have them. I just upgraded to Postpaid because sometimes the data cap wasn't enough for my dad on prepaid, especially when he's outside.

Kamal

TF Premier
TF Family
Sr Moderator
I am also using JIO postpaid.
When i was upgrading they mentioned that I need to submit a security deposit. But when they submitted my details it showed no security deposit was required.But I don't remember having a hard cibil enquiry, maybe they are using normal enquiry.

Even my postpaid limit has been increased from 1200 to 6100 Now.

pprakash11

TF Prestige
I am also using JIO postpaid.
When i was upgrading they mentioned that I need to submit a security deposit. But when they submitted my details it showed no security deposit was required.But I don't remember having a hard cibil enquiry, maybe they are using normal enquiry.

Even my postpaid limit has been increased from 1200 to 6100 Now.
My Jio Postpaid tariff is only ₹199, limit only ₹700 😂
Yours must be higher one or so !!

akshayhs

TF Ace
So today i was present for one of my cousin's migration to postpaid for his whole family. I asked the representative if he is going to check credit before handing over the SIM cards. He looked at me as if I had asked him to commit a crime. The process was Voter ID, Aadhar based KYC and he took my cousin's photo 4 times, one primary and three add-ons. Later he told me he hasn't ever been asked to check someone's credit before handing over SIM cards. Based on this, I think that check might be region dependent.