• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Possible to get a secured Credit Card in the US?

fatehbajwa

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
People who don't have a credit score in India because either they are too young or haven't ever taken any kind of loan product, are advised by some to take a secured credit card and then be very particular in ensuring they do all that is possible to increase their score.
Is a similar thing possible for US cards?
Some way to get a secured credit card there in order tp build up a good credit history?
I also assume that if this is possible, it would be easier than getting an unsecured card.

Thoughts?

jay

TF Select
Foreign Credit Card Expert
VIP Lounge
Hotel Loyalty Expert
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
People who don't have a credit score in India because either they are too young or haven't ever taken any kind of loan product, are advised by some to take a secured credit card and then be very particular in ensuring they do all that is possible to increase their score.
Is a similar thing possible for US cards?
Some way to get a secured credit card there in order tp build up a good credit history?
I also assume that if this is possible, it would be easier than getting an unsecured card.

Thoughts?
Just walk into any BoFA branch with your passport and a local address they will give you a secured card.

jay

TF Select
Foreign Credit Card Expert
VIP Lounge
Hotel Loyalty Expert
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
If you do not satisfy the requirements such as Proof of Identity, Proof of Address etc, a credit score will contribute to nothing in future applications.

And yes physical BoFA branch.

AsB

TF Ace
For future references -

Waynoway

TF Buzz
the secured card concept started from the USA. Go for "discover it" card as it has best rewards in secured card category and security starts from 200 USD which is pretty low compared to other cards