• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Opinion/Suggestion - Best 0 balance digital saving account for UPI

Reaper

TF Select
After the fiasco with Paytm Payments Bank, I am looking forward to opening a 0 balance savings account majorly for UPI transactions.
I am not concerned about rewards or interest however below are my major criteria:
  • Should have a strong IT backend so it does not impact regular UPI transactions.
  • Must support UPI Lite
  • Not interested in Debit Card hence virtual debit card would be more than sufficient
  • I am open to submitting all necessary documents as part of my account opening except for AADHAR linked mobile number (instead I want my account to be linked to my alternate number)
  • Minimum branch visit as soon I will be moving abroad for 2 years
Please suggest to me the best account that fulfils my above needs.

Thought of Kotak's 811 Digital account but got afraid after listening to multiple complaints of the account getting frozen.

Last edited:
As I understood, practically all digital acct can be opened with adhaar linked SIM only. If you need to link with alternate SIM go for a normal acct opened at the branch. Bandhan Sanchay Acct has min bal of 2K. Ujjivan bank regular Acct has min bal of 1K. You can use any UPI app of you choice as the front end.

Reaper

TF Select
As I understood, practically all digital acct can be opened with adhaar linked SIM only. If you need to link with alternate SIM go for a normal acct opened at the branch. Bandhan Sanchay Acct has min bal of 2K. Ujjivan bank regular Acct has min bal of 1K. You can use any UPI app of you choice as the front end.
Thanks for this info.
I think I need to start exploring this area.
Do you have an account in Ujjivan bank? If yes, how has been your experience?

AritraSaha

TF Legend
most of bandhan account don't have any non maintenance charges..
so its kind of zero balance..

Hdfc is takeing 15-20 days ..in Account activation+ delivery of card + activation..etc etc.
Welcome kit comes very.slow
In Tirupati, I opened HDFC SB MAX account, in a giffy. Got Welcome kit across the counter, immediately. Did 2 trxns within 3-4 minutes. UPI activated, DC activated. All done within 5 minutes. Happy....
Till their notorious legendary Chennai office came onto the scene... Horrible.

ramirami

TF Select
Why not SBI regular savings account? There is no minimum balance requirement afaik and core tech / internet banking are solid. Branch visits are a concern but why would you need to visit the branch?

RBI has recently mandated that all digitally opened accounts must be opened with the same mobile number which is linked with your Aadhar. It is a bit of a mess because Aadhar allows multiple people to have same linked phone number, but many banks do not like different customers to have the same mobile number, add their software cannot handle this. If you still want to open digitally, the way to do it is open with that mobile number initially and then after the cooldown period, change mobile number using the bank's process.

Last edited:

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
In Tirupati, I opened HDFC SB MAX account, in a giffy. Got Welcome kit across the counter, immediately. Did 2 trxns within 3-4 minutes. UPI activated, DC activated. All done within 5 minutes. Happy....
Till their notorious legendary Chennai office came onto the scene... Horrible.
Branch over boarding is still great in hdfc & icici ..even axis but mininal extended unless Burgundy

Why not SBI regular savings account? There is no minimum balance requirement afaik and core tech / internet banking are solid. Branch visits are a concern but why would you need to visit the branch?

RBI has recently mandated that all digitally opened accounts must be opened with the same mobile number which is linked with your Aadhar. It is a bit of a mess because Aadhar allows multiple people to have same linked phone number, but many banks do not like different customers to have the same mobile number, add their software cannot handle this. If you still want to open digitally, the way to do it is open with that mobile number initially and then after the cooldown period, change mobile number using the bank's process.
SBI is famous for illegally activating all sorts of govt schemes in your acct to meet their target.

ramirami

TF Select
In my experience I have seen more unethical things being done by private bank employees than SBI employees. SBI employees often do not care enough to do such stuff!

Reaper

TF Select
most of bandhan account don't have any non maintenance charges..
so its kind of zero balance..
I am addicted to UPI Lite as it avoids PIN and is usually quicker when compared to regular UPI, hence prefer the bank that supports this feature.
Not sure why Bandhan Bank hasn't launched it yet, it has already been a year.