• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

One More Devaluation: This time HSBC Cashback Card

shutapdiya

TF Ace
Contributor
Here are some of the key highlights of our revised HSBC Cashback Credit Card offering:​
•​
Earn More Cashback: Enjoy a 10% cashback (up to ₹1,000) on categories such as dining, grocery, and food delivery. Also, earn unlimited 1.5% cashback on all other spends. Cashback not eligible on select categories such as Fuel, Rental, Govt. Transactions, E-wallets, Insurance, Education, B2B Goods and Services, Jewelry, Charity, Toll fees, Cash Advances, Payment of outstanding balances, payment of card fees and other card charges​
•​
Elevated Airport Lounge Experience: 4 complimentary airport lounge access, one per quarter​
•​
Joining and Renewal Fee: There will be a joining fee of only ₹999 (not applicable to existing customers). There will also be a renewal fee of ₹999, which will be waived upon reaching a spend milestone of ₹200,000 in a year​
Please note that these changes will come into effect for your existing credit card from 26-Aug-2023.​

Bhanu Agarwal

TF Premier
Just now Called customer care to know about the status and they are saying card has been rejected . They don't know the reason for the same . Should I file complaint with the RBI . Since it has not been 30 days since the rejection so will I be able to file the complaint? It would be great if you could guide me a bit about the process @Bhanu Agarwal
In my case
Once they told we were unable to track then told card rejected. But actual reason is 1st one only. HSBC has worst way to apply for 2nd card.

Wait for 25 working days then only do complaint.

wapenshaw

TF Select
2 questions
1. is it possible to upgrade the LTF platinum card to this?
2. Does DMart/Ratnadeep etc offline purchases on this card come under the 10% for groceries?

helloworld

TF Legend
2 questions
1. is it possible to upgrade the LTF platinum card to this?
2. Does DMart/Ratnadeep etc offline purchases on this card come under the 10% for groceries?

1. Can't say, try with customer support once. AFAIK, its separate card but not sure about upgrade, never tried - maybe possible, ask them flip the card.
2. As long as MCC of these places matches with one of the eligible mccs then you'll get 10%.

Note: MCC depends on Place, POS machine, category code tagged to that POS machine.

Ex: DMart in Mumbai may have mcc of grocery but DMart in Hyderabad may have mcc as departmental stores. Also, DMart in Delhi on counter 3 has MCC of Grocery, counter 2 has mcc of departmental store - unfortunately, same rules applies to Ratnadeep. Maybe location at ABC, counter Y has POS machine tagged as fuel and can also charge fuel surcharge without cashback. Anything possible.

Go to desired location, do a test transaction like 500. wait till it posted to account (2 or 3 days), call customer support and ask for mcc code. If that category falls under 'grocery', go to same location and preferably same counter (hopefully they didn't swapped that POS machine), purchase as you like.

Also, note: whatever the mcc code they received, they'll give cashback based on that. HSBC not responsible for incorrect report.

Happy shopping!

Last edited:

Bhanu Agarwal

TF Premier
One doubt:
Are they giving discount only in multiples of 100 ???
Let say if someone do transaction of Rs.190 then only Rs.10 will be for cashback & not Rs.19

I am not seeing any such thing in docs but if someone knows that will be helpful...

helloworld

TF Legend
One doubt:
Are they giving discount only in multiples of 100 ???
Let say if someone do transaction of Rs.190 then only Rs.10 will be for cashback & not Rs.19

I am not seeing any such thing in docs but if someone knows that will be helpful...

Before answering to that question, curious to know which bank do like that? like giving in multiples of cashback.

afaik, no bank doing that but wants to know why you got that question?

its 19rs, btw.

Bhanu Agarwal

TF Premier
Before answering to that question, curious to know which bank do like that? like giving in multiples of cashback.

afaik, no bank doing that but wants to know why you got that question?

its 19rs, btw.
AU bank used too. Depends on bank to bank.
Few oil cards used to do (not saying about rewards).
HDFC tata neu used to do.
Rupay cards on upi used to do.

I am using credit cards from last 8 years. Holds 25 cards with & without charges.

Last edited:

helloworld

TF Legend
AU bank used too. Depends on bank to bank.
Few oil cards used to do (not saying about rewards).
HDFC tata neu used to do.
Rupay cards on upi used to do.

I am using credit cards from last 8 years. Holds 25 cards with & without charges.

To clear things:

Cashback cards: Its either round up or round down based on eligible minimum amount.

Ex: TataNue - Eligible amount = 35Rs. - Earn 1.5% or 5% depends on categories.

And calculation:

Ex: 195Rs. * 1.5% = 2.9 = 2Rs.

Ace:

Ex: 195Rs. * 2% = 3.9 = 4Rs.

So, its always 1Rs. up or down only never in multiples of 10 or 100. AFAIK, its like that for AU, TataNue, Axis CB cards.

And so far I have never seen a bank which provides cb in multiples of 10rs. or like that, its max. 1 or 2rs. based on roundup/down calculation. Again to my limited knowledge, maybe I missed some cards - so just that question.

Hisoka

TF Ace
Is Cashback calculated on calendar month or billing cycle? I’ve spend 10k on food and grocery this month but my statement already got generated on 15 December. So when does this 1k limit get reset?

Same question for other Cashback cards like SBI CB, Airtel Axis and HDFC Swiggy. I think it must be billing cycle right?