• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

My journey to get a credit card from a PSU bank (other than SBI or BoB)

m1n8

TF Select
From what I have learnt from various forums and discussion groups over the internet, most PSU banks (except SBI & BoB, henceforth mentioning of PSU banks will exclude these two banks) are quite stingy in issuing credit cards. Those who have been issued credit cards from PSU banks should consider themselves extremely fortunate. So. a thought occurred to me why not I too should give it a try, again! Again because I had tried getting a card from PNB in February of this year but to no avail. Visited the branch multiple times for a month, nothing happened, so I gave up. Since then I have closed my savings account in PNB and moved on. Now for my current endeavour I did some research to zero in on the bank to get the card from. So, I decided to go with Union Bank of India. A major factor that weighed in this bank's favour was the fact that it is one of the four banks that will be providing the RuPay credit card UPI linking facility. So, my first step was to get a normal savings account in the bank. This is because it is clearly mentioned in the bank's website under eligibility criteria for credit card that preference would be given to bank's customers and non-customers would be issued credit card on selective basis. So by getting a savings account in the bank I removed this variable from the equation! BTW, I got my account opened yesterday. So this will take some time, as I would like to transact a bit in this account before applying for the credit card. I have decided to transact for a month before applying. I'll keep posting updates of my journey and experience in this thread!

card_enthusiast

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
From what I have learnt from various forums and discussion groups over the internet, most PSU banks (except SBI & BoB, henceforth mentioning of PSU banks will exclude these two banks) are quite stingy in issuing credit cards. Those who have been issued credit cards from PSU banks should consider themselves extremely fortunate. So. a thought occurred to me why not I too should give it a try, again! Again because I had tried getting a card from PNB in February of this year but to no avail. Visited the branch multiple times for a month, nothing happened, so I gave up. Since then I have closed my savings account in PNB and moved on. Now for my current endeavour I did some research to zero in on the bank to get the card from. So, I decided to go with Union Bank of India. A major factor that weighed in this bank's favour was the fact that it is one of the four banks that will be providing the RuPay credit card UPI linking facility. So, my first step was to get a normal savings account in the bank. This is because it is clearly mentioned in the bank's website under eligibility criteria for credit card that preference would be given to bank's customers and non-customers would be issued credit card on selective basis. So by getting a savings account in the bank I removed this variable from the equation! BTW, I got my account opened yesterday. So this will take some time, as I would like to transact a bit in this account before applying for the credit card. I have decided to transact for a month before applying. I'll keep posting updates of my journey and experience in this thread!
Thats sound gr8.. and all d best for your plan to acquire Union Bank CC..
Although which account you had applied for.. even 1 week before I too applied for Union Bank digital account filled all details and a reference no generated.. now in nxt stp they wants to visit to choosen branch at time of registration to complete to whole process..
Although at registration time I only choosen for internet banking and mobile banking facility.. but nowhere mentioned about the applicable charges.. also what would be the minimum AQB for union bank.digital saving account , is it zero balance account..

m1n8

TF Select
Thats sound gr8.. and all d best for your plan to acquire Union Bank CC..
Although which account you had applied for.. even 1 week before I too applied for Union Bank digital account filled all details and a reference no generated.. now in nxt stp they wants to visit to choosen branch at time of registration to complete to whole process..
Although at registration time I only choosen for internet banking and mobile banking facility.. but nowhere mentioned about the applicable charges.. also what would be the minimum AQB for union bank.digital saving account , is it zero balance account..
The account I applied for was Union Digital Savings Account. I had to download the form, get it printed and get it submitted at the branch with 2 PP photos & photocopies of PAN & Aadhaar. Quirk of PSU bank! The whole purpose of opening account online is defeated if one has to visit the branch to complete the process! Check the account code, if it is UDSA, then it is zero balance account. Since you did not opt for debit card then the only applicable charges would be depositing cash at the branch, that would be ₹1 per ₹1000.

Pavan

TF Legend
TF Family
Bob is currently giving credit cards... Like rewadi... Apply.. 90% chance u will get it.... Even defaulters... People with 300 cibil have got... Very few rejections
No bro not any more :( i know at least 6 people in my circle most of the eterna application is getting tougher