• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

My Home Loan Tenure Extended Without My Consent

krishc

TF Ace
Recently due to rate hikes by RBI, the lending rate of my home loan has increased by 0.6% - which is ok. What is not ok is that to keep the EMI amount same, they have extended the loan tenure by 1.5 years without informing me or any kind of consent taken.
Any help on how to raise complaint to appropriate authorities is much appreciated!
P.S : My home loan provider is LIC HFL.

saiki4116

TF Select
VIP Lounge
As mentioned by @iAmPm , that's the default behaviour. You can ask them to change the EMI amount as per the updated Interest rate and you might have to submit a new mandate. SBI also did the same thing, only when the EMI is too low, they have asked me to re-submit the Mandate.

Actually you should never be worried about the Loan Tenure, if you are going to pre-pay and complete it in 7-8 years. Regardless of the EMI, SBI was charging the actual interest on the Loan Principal Outstanding. If you pre-pay your interest outgo would reduce signficantly and that's basically same as low tenure EMI, but with high EMI you have to pay compulsorly, whereas pre-paying is optional.

krishc

TF Ace
I'm actually not planning to pre-pay as it would not be beneficial for me but at the same time I don't want the tenure to be dragged down as I can pay little more EMIs