• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

RedCardRef

TF Buzz
Hey!

So as we all know PPBL is shutting down, this was the main bank I was using all along mainly because it was fast and hassle free. It mainly had a fast app and a slick interface. I created a direct "Scan to Pay" shortcut on my home screen and payments are seamless. (Scan -> Authenticate with Fingerprint -> Enter Amount -> Complete Payment with Fingerprint). No, this is not UPI Lite. Bank apps can make payments using biometrics. I was even authenticating UPI payment requests via Fingerprint it was just very convenient. Also I dont think PPBL ever enforced the 1L/day UPI Limit as I was making transactions well over that using this app in a day! I was using this app to make CC payments, but they started charging platform fee, so stopped using it.

I am also a customer of DBS Digibank for 4+ years now. It has a decent app and website. It doesn't bug you to change your password and have separate passwords each for profile password/net banking password/transaction password which you need to change every 6 months with stupid password restrictions like you can't have consecutive letters or numbers and other such weird stuff enforced by certain banks. The DBS digibank has a scan to pay feature but it doesn't allow me to create a shortcut on the home screen and completing a payment from start to finish takes at least 3x longer compared to PPBL. (The app is slow as in it keeps showing the loading screen each time I navigate to any section). This bank is not supported by netbanking in Amazon(just tried to pay a CC bill through Amazon Pay). Amazon Pay did not show me the option of paying the CC bill through DC, it only had UPI and net banking.

I have a salary account with Axis, the Axis Mobile app does have the ability to create a "Scan to Pay" shortcut on the home screen but it does not have biometric authentication to complete the payment, so I was forced to enter the UPI pin. Tried to use Axis netbanking to complete the CC payment on Amazon pay but it kept failing even though I had enough balance to make the payment. So this is ruled out totally.

I also have an account with SBI (the less we talk about this the better). I also want to stay away from Cred, it feels less like a payment app and more like a gambling/rewards app. The amount of permissions it asks with regards to the phone is too high. But DBS Digibank net banking was an option in Cred and I finally choose this to make the CC payment.
iMobile Pay(ICICI) and HDFC Bank App both support UPI payments via biometrics, confirmed this through friend's phones (both are not zero balance). iMobilePay was fast compared to HDFC and both were slow compared to PPBL.

I am looking for a bank with the following requirements.
  • Fast UPI Payments with Biometrics
  • Supports a "Scan to Pay" shortcut on the home screen
  • Has good net banking support
  • Zero Balance/Zero Annual Fee is preferred
  • App has to function with developer mode enabled. (iMobilePay complains about developer mode being enabled each time I open the app, but it is functional for the most part)
TLDR; Looking for a new bank with a fast app which supports payments via biometrics and preferably has a zero balance requirement. Please share your recommendations and experiences.

Solution
I would recommend Kotak 811 full kyc account.

Just tested scan & pay widget.
Click Widget -> Authenticate Fingerprint To Open -> Scan QR (or select from previously transacted) -> Enter Amount -> Confirm & Pay

There is no authentication for transaction. No PIN or Fingerprint required while making payment, you only need to authenticate to open the app.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hey!

So as we all know PPBL is shutting down, this was the main bank I was using all along mainly because it was fast and hassle free. It mainly had a fast app and a slick interface. I created a direct "Scan to Pay" shortcut on my home screen and payments are seamless. (Scan -> Authenticate with Fingerprint -> Enter Amount -> Complete Payment with Fingerprint). No, this is not UPI Lite. Bank apps can make payments using biometrics. I was even authenticating UPI payment requests via Fingerprint it was just very convenient. Also I dont think PPBL ever enforced the 1L/day UPI Limit as I was making transactions well over that using this app in a day! I was using this app to make CC payments, but they started charging platform fee, so stopped using it.

I am also a customer of DBS Digibank for 4+ years now. It has a decent app and website. It doesn't bug you to change your password and have separate passwords each for profile password/net banking password/transaction password which you need to change every 6 months with stupid password restrictions like you can't have consecutive letters or numbers and other such weird stuff enforced by certain banks. The DBS digibank has a scan to pay feature but it doesn't allow me to create a shortcut on the home screen and completing a payment from start to finish takes at least 3x longer compared to PPBL. (The app is slow as in it keeps showing the loading screen each time I navigate to any section). This bank is not supported by netbanking in Amazon(just tried to pay a CC bill through Amazon Pay). Amazon Pay did not show me the option of paying the CC bill through DC, it only had UPI and net banking.

I have a salary account with Axis, the Axis Mobile app does have the ability to create a "Scan to Pay" shortcut on the home screen but it does not have biometric authentication to complete the payment, so I was forced to enter the UPI pin. Tried to use Axis netbanking to complete the CC payment on Amazon pay but it kept failing even though I had enough balance to make the payment. So this is ruled out totally.

I also have an account with SBI (the less we talk about this the better). I also want to stay away from Cred, it feels less like a payment app and more like a gambling/rewards app. The amount of permissions it asks with regards to the phone is too high. But DBS Digibank net banking was an option in Cred and I finally choose this to make the CC payment.
iMobile Pay(ICICI) and HDFC Bank App both support UPI payments via biometrics, confirmed this through friend's phones (both are not zero balance). iMobilePay was fast compared to HDFC and both were slow compared to PPBL.

I am looking for a bank with the following requirements.
  • Fast UPI Payments with Biometrics
  • Supports a "Scan to Pay" shortcut on the home screen
  • Has good net banking support
  • Zero Balance/Zero Annual Fee is preferred
  • App has to function with developer mode enabled. (iMobilePay complains about developer mode being enabled each time I open the app, but it is functional for the most part)
TLDR; Looking for a new bank with a fast app which supports payments via biometrics and preferably has a zero balance requirement. Please share your recommendations and experiences.
Use paytm with stable bank for upi
& Upi lite for smaller payment

RedCardRef

TF Buzz
Use paytm with stable bank for upi
& Upi lite for smaller payment
The problem with using Paytm with a different bank account will require me to input UPI PIN for payments(which I want to avoid), Paytm app will just be acting as a normal UPI app like GPay/PhonePe/BHIM etc (TPAP). Only native bank apps support biometric payments.

Victims of buying products from RPTech know the real consequences of entering the wrong UPI PIN in hurry! (IYKYK)

Paytm has started charging platform fee(almost all of the services I use are already available on Amazon Pay, so that will be my choice for bill payments/bookings).

Calm Radiance

TF Premier
I think you can go with IDFC, IDFC has scan and pay option even without opening the app using pin. Moreover the app UI is good and once AMB is maintained, there are nil charges.
similar discussion on bank selection already happened between kotak, idfc and other banks.

RedCardRef

TF Buzz
Slice hi shi hai
Ye bhai bahut busy hai
4 digit ka pin dalne Mai time waste hojayega iska
The question is not about the delay in entering the pin, the question is about the odds(or consequences) of entering the wrong pin. With biometrics the odds of failing a payment are close to zero. I had a product in cart, that got sold out in literal seconds I know the advantage biometric authentication gives. There is downside to using UPI PIN, there is close to zero downside to using biometric. If you have further issue with people having a preference, just google "Dunning Kruger".

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. will definitely check Kotak 811, Slice, Induslnd and keep an eye out for new suggestions. @SSV is that onion supposed to refer to phone pe? I am not entirely sure but AFAIK, you need to enter PIN on all TPAPs, except for UPI lite

Coming to developer mode, I tweak a few settings in my phone. I like it this way so I have to keep developer settings ON. The paytm app itself doesn't have a dark theme AFAIK, so I just force the setting via developer options for all apps that dont have a native dark mode.

How can I mark a reply as solution? I dont know, I am new here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301_211322_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_211322_Settings.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 23

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
The question is not about the delay in entering the pin, the question is about the odds(or consequences) of entering the wrong pin. With biometrics the odds of failing a payment are close to zero. I had a product in cart, that got sold out in literal seconds I know the advantage biometric authentication gives. There is downside to using UPI PIN, there is close to zero downside to using biometric. If you have further issue with people having a preference, just google "Dunning Kruger".

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. will definitely check Kotak 811, Slice, Induslnd and keep an eye out for new suggestions. @SSV is that onion supposed to refer to phone pe? I am not entirely sure but AFAIK, you need to enter PIN on all TPAPs, except for UPI lite

Coming to developer mode, I tweak a few settings in my phone. I like it this way so I have to keep developer settings ON. The paytm app itself doesn't have a dark theme AFAIK, so I just force the setting via developer options for all apps that dont have a native dark mode.

How can I mark a reply as solution? I dont know, I am new here.
Slicing the onion ..