• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Let's talk JAL miles!

R!ppEr

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hey Folks,

Since Axis added new transfer partners i was super excited about Japan Airlines as one of my childhood dreams was to visit the land of anime 😁
But the site seems a bit complicated and couldn't figure out an easy way to determine how many points will it take for certain sectors and what is waitlisting all about.
To top it off there is also a concept of PLUS*1 which confused me more!
But for the heck of it and in hopes that the TF community will help me out at a later point i registered as a free member. And yesterday evening got this cute little card. This got me excited again and wondering if anyone could help out on how to navigate booking through the JAL mileage bank?

Attachments

• 20230428_105808.jpg
    20230428_105808.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 72

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Verify the availability with another Oneworld partner. Those are normal awards. When the regular award tickets are sold out, they provide an opportunity to offer you seats to be booked for more miles. The Plus awards offer travelers an option to utilize a higher number of miles and obtain a confirmed ticket instead of remaining waitlisted.

You cannot redeem JAL points unless it is 60 days after you register for an account. So since your account is new, you would have to wait to book via JAL. JAL has an excellent first-class product from US. to Japan. I haven't personally flown on JAL yet, since I have always gotten awards on ANA, and I prefer a Star Alliance partner for married segments. JAL, being a Japanese airline has a great soft product. If you want details on how to book JAL, hit me up. The award redemptions are pretty forward. The only issue for you is JAL has limited destinations in India, and so if you are not from one of those, you would have to position yourself to those cities to fly them.

See here for more details on Plus : https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/?r=inbound
FAQ: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/faq.html

Last edited:

R!ppEr

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Verify the availability with another Oneworld partner. Those are normal awards. When the regular award tickets are sold out, they provide an opportunity to offer you seats to be booked for more miles. The Plus awards offer travelers an option to utilize a higher number of miles and obtain a confirmed ticket instead of remaining waitlisted.

You cannot redeem JAL points unless it is 60 days after you register for an account. So since your account is new, you would have to wait to book via JAL. JAL has an excellent first-class product from US. to Japan. I haven't personally flown on JAL yet, since I have always gotten awards on ANA, and I prefer a Star Alliance partner for married segments. JAL, being a Japanese airline has a great soft product. If you want details on how to book JAL, hit me up. The award redemptions are pretty forward. The only issue for you is JAL has limited destinations in India, and so if you are not from one of those, you would have to position yourself to those cities to fly them.

See here for more details on Plus : https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/award_renewal/?r=inbound
They was amazing and detailed... I'll give you a ping once i completed 60 days post sign up😁 thanks

jiffyspace

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge

How do you deal with the current transfer times? Currently it takes 15 days to transfer ER to JAL. I initiated the transfer 5 days ago but it's still not visible in my JAL account.

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
How do you deal with the current transfer times? Currently it takes 15 days to transfer ER to JAL. I initiated the transfer 5 days ago but it's still not visible in my JAL account.
Personally, I prefer ANA. The transfer time is the problem with JAL from an Indian standpoint, but converting MB points is a much faster process. If you are looking for BLR/BOM/DEL to Japan, you may not need to worry much. You will probably get award seats.

JAL Mileage bank award booking (own or partner/oneworld) seems to offer better pricing if you book longer/farther itineraries combining multiple destinations, since its distance based. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to search them since my 60 day cool off period isnt over for me.

Do you know how much surcharge they charge on Del/Blr to Tokyo JAL award flight? Also, do they pass all of airline YQ on their award flights (partner or one world)?

churn

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
JAL Mileage bank award booking (own or partner/oneworld) seems to offer better pricing if you book longer/farther itineraries combining multiple destinations, since its distance based. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to search them since my 60 day cool off period isnt over for me.

Do you know how much surcharge they charge on Del/Blr to Tokyo JAL award flight? Also, do they pass all of airline YQ on their award flights (partner or one world)?
JAL will collect all taxes and fees as well as carrier imposed surcharges (i.e., fuel surcharges) on award travel

Akashgod

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
i have this JAL card, my issue is my passport has middle name which is what with i enrolled, but JAL card doesnt have middle name in it.
ALso in every other case like transferring from axis to other airlines or hotels, not understanding what to do, i shd definitely have to provide FFP name as in the passport. so how to transfer miles ? Anyone one has same issue?

akf

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Japan Airlines UI is not that easy. I have been going rounds and round, but still not able to land to a page where I can put 2 destination and see availability/miles required. Any help please ?
I am trying to check Domestic flights within Thailand (I read JAL charges based on distance)

Harry1

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
in June it took 23 days.
Lol looks like i won't be able to go then😭. 14 days is official timeline. It is taking more than that.

Was planning to go in last week of August and my 23rd day will be around 16th. Just 10 days will be remaining for award flight🤣. Currently showing 4 seats available. I need just 1.

004archit

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Lol looks like i won't be able to go then😭. 14 days is official timeline. It is taking more than that.

Was planning to go in last week of August and my 23rd day will be around 16th. Just 10 days will be remaining for award flight🤣. Currently showing 4 seats available. I need just 1.
From where to where and how much miles required for that flight in jal ?

Can you help me to find how much mile required for delhi to Bangkok and Bangkok to Phuket in month of October , thanks in advance