• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.
Since this is my first post here, let me start the post by giving a little background about me in credit cards context.

I have been using credit cards for almost 14 years now and started my journey with the humble Citi Rewards as my first credit card. When I got into the credit card world, it wasn't for points or prestige. It was just simple math - You are getting an amount interest free period of 50 days.

Slowly, I started getting into the points & rewards game and started building up my credit card portfolio. I remember the cards that gave me most points till around 5-6 years back were SBI Elite and SC Ultimate. Then once my salary account was moved to HDFC (from ICICI due to job change), I got hold of DCB. Just to point out, life was much simpler back then, you saw a card you liked - you checked the eligibility criteria and if you could meet it then apply. No FYF, LTF fundas. In fact except Magnus Burgundy I never asked for a free card (yes I was naive). I had DCB free for some years only because I met their annual spend criteria. After DCB, got hold of INFINIA in few years and then came Magnus followed by Magnus Burgundy [both came thanks to Axis burgundy account]. And I had to say Axis spoiled me, I had made lakhs of points of Ultimate, DCB, Infinia before but this was madness. The rewards were too good, but as someone who comes from a financial background I knew it would be mess sooner or later.

Now let me come back to the main topic, why the need for Emeralde Private when you already have INFINIA, Magnus Burgundy & Yes Marquee (recently acquired)?
One word answer - Exclusivity. At my age and with the years of experience in the credit card domain, plain points or benefits don't excite me as much as the exclusivity factor. I still remember the envious looks that I used to get 2-3 years back when I would pull out of my DCB or Infinia. In fact, till few months back most of my friends in the same financial bracket as me couldn't get INFINIA. But now that's kind of gone, while Infinia is still relatively exclusive - off late lot of people have started getting upgraded to INFINIA quite easily, which also makes me believe that an INFINIA devaluation is not far. And more importantly the card loses its exclusivity/snob factor. Less I talk about Magnus the better.

What cards I would have loved to get from an Exclusivity point of view:
  1. Axis Private [Well quite someway to go for this]
  2. Amex Platinum [All my friends used to swear by this card few years back, now everyone swears because of it. Customer service has gone down big time. Almost anyone who can pay the fees has this card can get it. Personally, I feel Amex has ruined it for most of their old customers. Most of my friends who held this card for many years, cancelled this last year or early this year. So this was ruled out completely]
  3. Amex Centurion [Well with no. 2 not happening, this will never happen considering its offered only to select few Amex Platinum customers with high spends]
  4. Axis Reserve [Was willing to overlook the reward transfer rate but then Axis hit the final nail in the coffin with the removal of transfers]
  5. ICICI Emeralde Private [Seemed most sensible of the lot with benefits outweighing the fees and the fact that very very very few people have it, this would take care of the exclusivity factor]
I had to recently visit ICICI branch for some work with my home loan & was casually chatting with the branch manager about how far behind ICICI was in the credit cards game and he told me about this Emeralde Private Card and asked if I would be interested. Obviously, I said yes but he fore-warned me that in spite of the relationship there are absolute no guarantee that I might get the card and the process might take a month or more as they need to take 4 approvals including 1 from their Credit Card India head. [More on the application process later in another post].

So yesterday finally after almost 1.5 months, I got the card approved and I can see it on IMobile. The physical card should arrive in a day or two. While it was a long wait, it was definitely worth it because ICICI almost doubled my INFINIA credit limit and has offered a limit of 30L on the card. Another thing that makes the card worth it was the difficulty in getting it. Will become my daily driver card along with INFINIA from next month onwards.

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpg
    IMG_7139.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 466

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Since this is my first post here, let me start the post by giving a little background about me in credit cards context.

I have been using credit cards for almost 14 years now and started my journey with the humble Citi Rewards as my first credit card. When I got into the credit card world, it wasn't for points or prestige. It was just simple math - You are getting an amount interest free period of 50 days.

Slowly, I started getting into the points & rewards game and started building up my credit card portfolio. I remember the cards that gave me most points till around 5-6 years back were SBI Elite and SC Ultimate. Then once my salary account was moved to HDFC (from ICICI due to job change), I got hold of DCB. Just to point out, life was much simpler back then, you saw a card you liked - you checked the eligibility criteria and if you could meet it then apply. No FYF, LTF fundas. In fact except Magnus Burgundy I never asked for a free card (yes I was naive). I had DCB free for some years only because I met their annual spend criteria. After DCB, got hold of INFINIA in few years and then came Magnus followed by Magnus Burgundy [both came thanks to Axis burgundy account]. And I had to say Axis spoiled me, I had made lakhs of points of Ultimate, DCB, Infinia before but this was madness. The rewards were too good, but as someone who comes from a financial background I knew it would be mess sooner or later.

Now let me come back to the main topic, why the need for Emeralde Private when you already have INFINIA, Magnus Burgundy & Yes Marquee (recently acquired)?
One word answer - Exclusivity. At my age and with the years of experience in the credit card domain, plain points or benefits don't excite me as much as the exclusivity factor. I still remember the envious looks that I used to get 2-3 years back when I would pull out of my DCB or Infinia. In fact, till few months back most of my friends in the same financial bracket as me couldn't get INFINIA. But now that's kind of gone, while Infinia is still relatively exclusive - off late lot of people have started getting upgraded to INFINIA quite easily, which also makes me believe that an INFINIA devaluation is not far. And more importantly the card loses its exclusivity/snob factor. Less I talk about Magnus the better.

2. Amex Platinum [All my friends used to swear by this card few years back, now everyone swears because of it. Customer service has gone down big time. Almost anyone who can pay the fees has this card can get it. Personally, I feel Amex has ruined it for most of their old customers. Most of my friends who held this card for many years, cancelled this last year or early this year. So this was ruled out completely]
  3. Amex Centurion [Well with no. 2 not happening, this will never happen considering its offered only to select few Amex Platinum customers with high spends]
  4. Axis Reserve [Was willing to overlook the reward transfer rate but then Axis hit the final nail in the coffin with the removal of transfers]
  5. ICICI Emeralde Private [Seemed most sensible of the lot with benefits outweighing the fees and the fact that very very very few people have it, this would take care of the exclusivity factor]
I had to recently visit ICICI branch for some work with my home loan & was casually chatting with the branch manager about how far behind ICICI was in the credit cards game and he told me about this Emeralde Private Card and asked if I would be interested. Obviously, I said yes but he fore-warned me that in spite of the relationship there are absolute no guarantee that I might get the card and the process might take a month or more as they need to take 4 approvals including 1 from their Credit Card India head. [More on the application process later in another post].

So yesterday finally after almost 1.5 months, I got the card approved and I can see it on IMobile. The physical card should arrive in a day or two. While it was a long wait, it was definitely worth it because ICICI almost doubled my INFINIA credit limit and has offered a limit of 30L on the card. Another thing that makes the card worth it was the difficulty in getting it. Will become my daily driver card along with INFINIA from next month onwards.
Very good. Congratulations 🎊 👏 💐
Enjoy your card. Well worth it for you...

Card

TF Select
VIP Lounge

Interesting! What is your NRV with ICICI?

Congrats and happy spending.

drsel

TF Legend
I believe this is the problem with social media in general - Influencers who don’t understand the product just try to hype or put down a product without understanding the target audience. I doubt anyone who ends up getting this card will be bothered about statement credit ratio.
This influencer happens to be the founder and chief moderator of techno fino!

RajBlr

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Congrats. 👏

With the credit limit of 30L, you can now loan to ICICI bank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

drsel

TF Legend
Hmm congratulations and to be very honest it's not that difficult to get :) I am still struggling to get Infinia 🙃 But have two Emeralde Private metal credit cards
No doubt Infinia and Magnus Burgundy are far better than this.
3% return if redeemed for flights or 1.2% return if redeemed for statement credit are not attractive.

One night stay in Taj and unlimited golf, International & domestic lounge access are the main USP.

I wonder if there is a minimum spend requirement ( like other ICICI cards) for free domestic or international Lounge access

Last edited:

timva

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Hmm congratulations and to be very honest it's not that difficult to get :) I am still struggling to get Infinia 🙃 But have two Emeralde Private metal credit cards
Opposite to you, I had wealth + salary account with a relationship of more than a decade but still wasn't able to get this card 😞 but got Infinia as my first credit card from HDFC with minimum relationship value 😁

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I'm getting offer only for pvc... But don't think it makes sense to pay joining fees for this card? Any workaround? I know they ask for 1Cr NRV for FYF & 2CR for LTF
No work around.. that’s why I am asking if anyone got upgrade offer from pvc to metal??
It seems they are maintaining some exclusivity for metal as of now