• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Is Standard chartered Ultimate really worth ?

sauchadh

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I see many of you hold Standard chartered Ultimate credit card. Is it really the worth ? 1st of all it is a paid card and we get equivalent 5000 points every year. Ofcourse GST we need to pay from our pocket. I see there are not many reward redemption option. Can someone throw light on this on how they redeem their points ? Are we getting an equivalent benefit in terms of fees we are paying ?
Also if you spend 150Rs you get 5 points. How about if someone spends less than 150 Rs would we still get points ? I am thinking if I should take this card or not . Any thoughts ?

Solution
SC ultimate is indeed really worth! 3.3% return on literally everything without any exclusion!! And u get reward points for every rs 30 spent!! Just a no nonsense card which everyone should have!! Fee u pay is just 900/- (for GST only, as u get equivalent 5000 reward points worth Rs 5000)-. Plus redemption catalogue is pretty vast. Not like infinia or DCB where u get 3.3% only over flights or hotel redemptions.
Use it where none of the card is giving benefits more than 3%.
My view, simply go for it!!

supperman

TF Select
Can one easily get this card by online application or one need to go for entry card and then go for Ultimate card? I am salaried, good cibil score person.
Having an existing SC card with limit over 4L is the best and easiest way to get this card. Once your SC card has a limit over 4L, it just takes a phone call for the upgrade. There is no waiting or cool off period. If you get an SC card with 4L limit today, you can place a request for Ultimate the very same day.

That being said, SC is not entirely generous with limits, nor does it provide the card easily to non-salaried people.

If you don't want to go with the existing card LE and upgrade route, then you can try for a C2C application, which has a much lower success rate. Even people with Infinia with over 20L limit have been denied, so just prepare for a rejection.

Another way is to maintain a balance of 30L with SC in any of its products (SB, FD, loan etc.), become a priority member thereof and request your RM to get this card approved.

paresh22

TF Ace
Having an existing SC card with limit over 4L is the best and easiest way to get this card. Once your SC card has a limit over 4L, it just takes a phone call for the upgrade. There is no waiting or cool off period. If you get an SC card with 4L limit today, you can place a request for Ultimate the very same day.

That being said, SC is not entirely generous with limits, nor does it provide the card easily to non-salaried people.

If you don't want to go with the existing card LE and upgrade route, then you can try for a C2C application, which has a much lower success rate. Even people with Infinia with over 20L limit have been denied, so just prepare for a rejection.

Another way is to maintain a balance of 30L with SC in any of its products (SB, FD, loan etc.), become a priority member thereof and request your RM to get this card approved.
Is there any way available on SC website to only check which cards I can be eligible to apply?

saiki4116

TF Select
VIP Lounge

SC, Citi are overly conservative. I wouldn't be surprised if SC rejects even if someone has good salary, but from a unknown company.
Citi has given me 1L limit, because it has a partnership with our org for salary account, when HDFC has given limit of 50K based on the salary. Citi hasn't changed limit for 10 years, even my salary increased and after submitting income docs.

supperman

TF Select
Is there any way available on SC website to only check which cards I can be eligible to apply?
It's been some time since I applied for a SC card, however, I don't think SC does instant eligibility checks. You may have to choose which credit card you wish to apply for. Except SC priority card and SC Bandhan bank cards, you can apply for any card. With Ultimate though, depending on circumstances, your application may be rejected. SC Smart, Digismart, Easemytrip, Super Value Titanium are relatively easy to get.

supperman

TF Select
SC, Citi are overly conservative. I wouldn't be surprised if SC rejects even if someone has good salary, but from a unknown company.
Citi has given me 1L limit, because it has a partnership with our org for salary account, when HDFC has given limit of 50K based on the salary. Citi hasn't changed limit for 10 years, even my salary increased and after submitting income docs.
Well, at least you don't have to worry about Citi now. Their policies will likely come in line with those of Axis Bank's, and Axis is fairly generous with its limits.

sharad131

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Citi...Is it so? I am holding Citi since 2001 (my first cc in fact) they were pretty generous then and now obviously they are super generous on giving CL. Let me share one interesting incident :) here:

3-4 years back Citi prestige used to be only card giving airport transfers. I got that card, used all features unto the extent and the covid shutdown came. I called them to cancel the card (in anticipation of no travel). They refunded the fee on pro-rata basis and instead of cancelling they converted it to LTF indian oil (with same whopping prestige limit). Literally, SIL treatment I got :)

saiki4116

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Well, at least you don't have to worry about Citi now. Their policies will likely come in line with those of Axis Bank's, and Axis is fairly generous with its limits.
Not much to worry, hardly using it unless there's a Citi specific offer. My card was LTF, Axis launched a new rewards card, most probably would be converted to that

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Citi...Is it so? I am holding Citi since 2001 (my first cc in fact) they were pretty generous then and now obviously they are super generous on giving CL. Let me share one interesting incident :) here:

3-4 years back Citi prestige used to be only card giving airport transfers. I got that card, used all features unto the extent and the covid shutdown came. I called them to cancel the card (in anticipation of no travel). They refunded the fee on pro-rata basis and instead of cancelling they converted it to LTF indian oil (with same whopping prestige limit). Literally, SIL treatment I got :)
So if we get a citi card SIL is free 😜

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
For practical purposes - the reward rate is basically 2% now; there is another email where it says rent will attract 1% fee, combined with the charges the portals charge, this makes effective rewards nil on rent
it is a run of the mill card now; I'll probably not renew next cycle

saiki4116

TF Select
VIP Lounge
For practical purposes - the reward rate is basically 2% now; there is another email where it says rent will attract 1% fee, combined with the charges the portals charge, this makes effective rewards nil on rent
Even with the Redgiraffe which has lowest of platform fees, it comes out to be ~0.36%. No hope for other platforms.