• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

International Conversion rates - Visa vs Mastercard vs JCB vs Diners club vs RuPay vs UPI

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
International Conversion rates - Visa vs Mastercard vs JCB vs Diners club vs RuPay vs UPI:

This info is shared by one community member (i dnt know his technofino user id), i will ask him.

He used the RuPay-JCB credit cards in Singapore and shared this info -

Here is a comparison of 24th March, 2023. These are just conversion rates.

Banks forex rates of 0-3.5% and gst needs to be added separately. For JCB, it doesn't show bank charges separately in settled transaction. I have back calculated it based on gst charged and reduced that amount.

Mastercard - 62.05

Visa - 62.29

JCB - 61.95 (64.117 in statement after including 3.5% bank charges)

Google rate - 61.82

So JCB conversion seems best, if I don't consider bank charges. It will obviously vary on each day. But in general this comparison seem to be consistent.

Do note that rates are based on settlement date, but I have mentioned transaction dates. And here some banks are settling transaction even after a week. So, above comparisons may not be accurate.

Discover Global card/Diners club - 3 years ago, one person told me that he had used Canara Bank RuPay-Discover Global Card in Paris and Spain. He told me that Canara Bank didn't charge him 3.5% bank conversion rate and debited him at the same rates as seen on Google, actually slightly lower than the Google rate.

RuPay Standalone cards - RuPay's native network also available in UAE, Singapore, Bhutan, Bahrain, Nepal and few others. RuPay card network can be settled in Indian Rupees.

Currently, i dnt know how much RuPay's native network will charge you for international transactions, maybe possible no extra charges.

UPI - Well, few people used UPI on International websites they told me no extra charges debited and conversation rate same as Google rate and no bank conversion rates debited. Payment settle in INR currency. Singapore's NETS also mentioned Indian visitors have an option to choose payment through INR vs SGD when they pay through RuPay card or UPI.

Note - Visa, Diners club, JCB and MasterCard payments are settled in US dollars or Japan's Yen, while RuPay and UPI can be settled in Indian Rupees.

For Example - The Bhutan/UAE etc maintains an account with the State Bank of India. Any withdrawal by a RuPay card holder in Bhutan/UAE would be settled through an instant credit into the Bhutan/UAE's account. The arrangement is expected to benefit both countries by minimising foreign currency outflow.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
No forex markup fees for SBI bank, Canara bank and Central bank of India -

1) SBI RuPay JCB Platinum debit card

2) Central bank of India RuPay Discover Select Debit Card

3) Canara bank RuPay Discover Select Credit Card

These 3 banks are verified, no forex markup fees charged by banks and foreign currency coversion rate is also slightly better than Mastercard/Visa card. However, BOB HPCL RuPay JCB credit Card charged 3.5% forex markup fees.

k989

TF Buzz
Generally, MC used to provide slightly better forex rates globally. JCB used to be better in Japan and parts of SE Asia. These were from many reports 7-8 years ago. Maybe things have changed now.

However I have one major issue with Rupay. I was making a USD transaction via stripe payment gateway, and both Rupay-JCB sbi card and tata neu rupay discover failed. Transactions simply did not go through though online international was enabled.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
Generally, MC used to provide slightly better forex rates globally. JCB used to be better in Japan and parts of SE Asia. These were from many reports 7-8 years ago. Maybe things have changed now.

However I have one major issue with Rupay. I was making a USD transaction via stripe payment gateway, and both Rupay-JCB sbi card and tata neu rupay discover failed. Transactions simply did not go through though online international was enabled.
Yo, from last few years JCB card now rapidly expanding to European countries.

Few year ago, one perosn told me he use Canara bank RuPay-DFS Select Credit Card in European countries and no forex markup fees charged and he told me slightly better currency conversion rate compare with Visa/mastercard.

Stripe payment gateway is not supported RuPay AutoPay payment. RuPay AutoPay is not live yet.

Stripe also get payment aggregator (PA) licences from RBI. Stripe will directly support RuPay network in future.

Stripe also accepts UPI payment but UPI AutoPay is not supported yet -

Contact us to get access to one of our invite only payment method features, to request a new real time payment method, or to join our beta for UPI, a popular payment method in India.

FfmQviWAAEMSaz.png

k989

TF Buzz
thats great to hear. What i was surprised by stripe was while they support Rupay Global, both by rupay-dfs and rupay-jcb transactions failed. They were not auto pay, just regular one time payment.

Abhishek012

TF Pioneer
thats great to hear. What i was surprised by stripe was while they support Rupay Global, both by rupay-dfs and rupay-jcb transactions failed. They were not auto pay, just regular one time payment.
Yes, Since Stripe get payment aggregator (PA) licences from RBI. So, i think Stripe will directly integrate RuPay card gateway in future.

sarainfo12

TF Premier
I am planning for Dubai trip on sept end ,
We have tata neu rupay , diners , various visa cards too .
Which one is best to use ?
Our diners privilege card have 2% markup fee instead standard 3.5% .