• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

If you could only have 1 credit card, what would it be?

pleasegiveltf

TF Select
So. I have 8 credit cards and I'm starting to appreciate the peace of mind of not having to think about points / the best credit card for a particular spend / optimizing spends to get the highest # of points etc.

I want to have a single credit card where I can park all my spends on. It's okay if I miss out on some % of rewards by not optimizing. What do you think this card would be? II'll still keep all my cards for large bank offers on Amazon/Flipkart etc., or if I see a card specific offer while checking out but that's about it - I want a card where I can park the rest of my spends without constantly thinking about reward points.

Until now for me this used to be Axis Vistara - but I'm soon moving out of Delhi and the card is useless if you're not in Delhi/Mumbai.

Here are the cards I have:
  1. Axis Vistara Signature
  2. SBI Vistara Prime
  3. Amex MRCC
  4. AmazonPay ICICI
  5. ICICI Coral RuPay
  6. HSBC Platinum
  7. AU Zenith
  8. SBI SimplySave (will close soon)
Currently my spends go like this:
  1. Amex MRCC - 6 transactions per month for Amazon Pay vouchers
  2. Everything else - Axis Vistara
I considered SBI Cashback for the 5% cashback on online spends, but ideally would also want to be rewarded for offline spends like Axis Vistara.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Try getting an HDFC Infinia.

Depending on your spending, Burgundy Magnus could be a great option or Amex Plat Travel for upto 4lac yearly expenses.

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
So. I have 8 credit cards and I'm starting to appreciate the peace of mind of not having to think about points / the best credit card for a particular spend / optimizing spends to get the highest # of points etc.

I want to have a single credit card where I can park all my spends on. It's okay if I miss out on some % of rewards by not optimizing. What do you think this card would be? II'll still keep all my cards for large bank offers on Amazon/Flipkart etc., or if I see a card specific offer while checking out but that's about it - I want a card where I can park the rest of my spends without constantly thinking about reward points.

Until now for me this used to be Axis Vistara - but I'm soon moving out of Delhi and the card is useless if you're not in Delhi/Mumbai.

2. SBI Vistara Prime
  3. Amex MRCC
  4. AmazonPay ICICI
  5. ICICI Coral RuPay
  6. HSBC Platinum
  7. AU Zenith
I considered SBI Cashback for the 5% cashback on online spends, but ideally would also want to be rewarded for offline spends like Axis Vistara.
Understood your ask. However, the information you provided lack the most important details one may need to suggest you a perfect card.

Here's what we need to know -
1) Annual Income - Give us a tight range (rounded) and Monthly net credit (rounded)
2) Highest Credit Limit on any card (preferably 6-12 months old)
3) Current Cibil score
4) Rough monthly expense you make on purchases (excluding UPI transactions)

Making out from your current holdings, looks like you are not into spending much on annual fees for any credit card. Your current portfolio is either a mix of LTF cards or less than 4k annual fee cards. However, you hold two Vistara cards, which tells me, either you travel a lot or you know you'll be able to meet those multiple "early" milestones on both cards (smart, I say). So certain level of expense on credit card is not an issue for you.

Give us the info I asked and, I'll have my suggestion for you.

1RC

pleasegiveltf

TF Select
Considering SBI Cashback as others have mentioned above @RAMESH BABU N @Akash777

Not sure about Infinia - the ₹12,500 + GST is a dealbreaker & I don't have a HDFC Savings Account or another HDFC credit card to "upgrade" from, to Infinia. I applied for a HDFC card last year and they just rejected it. @neogen @coolguy1

Is there anyway they give it LTF or at a reduced rate?

pleasegiveltf

TF Select
Understood your ask. However, the information you provided lack the most important details one may need to suggest you a perfect card.

Here's what we need to know -
1) Annual Income - Give us a tight range (rounded) and Monthly net credit (rounded)
2) Highest Credit Limit on any card (preferably 6-12 months old)
3) Current Cibil score
4) Rough monthly expense you make on purchases (excluding UPI transactions)

Making out from your current holdings, looks like you are not into spending much on annual fees for any credit card. Your current portfolio is either a mix of LTF cards or less than 4k annual fee cards. However, you hold two Vistara cards, which tells me, either you travel a lot or you know you'll be able to meet those multiple "early" milestones on both cards (smart, I say). So certain level of expense on credit card is not an issue for you.

Give us the info I asked and, I'll have my suggestion for you.

1RC
1) Take-home is 1.5L a month.
2) 5 Lakhs on Amex (1 year old), 8 Lakhs on ICICI Coral (6 months old)
3) 770
4) About 50,000 - 60,000 (including rent of around 20,000 which I park on my SBI Vistara card).

I travel back home from Delhi quite frequently, which is why I was happy to put all my spends on the Axis Vistara card (and rent on the SBI Vistara card) until now without any thought. But I'm moving back home where Vistara has very little connectivity - so there's no point now!

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

2. SBI Vistara Prime
  3. Amex MRCC
  4. AmazonPay ICICI
  5. ICICI Coral RuPay
  6. HSBC Platinum
  7. AU Zenith
Order of preference
1) Magnus Burgundy if you can qualify for Burgundy criteria (salary criteria is easiest and no cost) (4.8% miles on most spends and 14% for spends above 1.5 lakh in a month so even if you do this 1-2 times is a year good enough)

2) Else get Atlas (4% miles on most spends but no reward multiplier for gyftr etc)

3) Infinia or DCB Metal (3.33% miles or cash on most spends and 3x/5x reward multiplier on gyftr)

Continue 1500 x 4 every month on MRCC to have one card in Amex ecosystem. In my view get combo on Axis (Magnus Burgundy or Atlas) and one HDFC (Infinia or DCB). So my suggestion is not one card but 3 cards in that sense. But if you really want only one card get either of the 4 (MB Atlas Infinia DCB) which you get easily.

Akash777

TF Select
Considering SBI Cashback as others have mentioned above @RAMESH BABU N @Akash777

Not sure about Infinia - the ₹12,500 + GST is a dealbreaker & I don't have a HDFC Savings Account or another HDFC credit card to "upgrade" from, to Infinia. I applied for a HDFC card last year and they just rejected it. @neogen @coolguy1

Is there anyway they give it LTF or at a reduced rate?
Infinia is a Super Premium CC. It's invites only card. Or if your income is around 40 Lac p.a. then you can approach HDFC for this card. Although lots of ppl have got this card with much lesser income than 40 LPA.
2ndly Infinia is a Reward Card unlike SBI CashBack which is a pure Cashback CC which credits real cash to your statement.

If you travel a lot and love to stay in luxury hotels then Infinia is for you. But if you encash your reward points into real cash then your return is just 1% which is much lesser than SBI CashBack CC (Online + Offline Combined).

If anybody's earnings, spending behaviour and needs align with Infinia then he or she must go for this dream card. It's return in the form of experience is simply out of the world✈️🏨🛋️⛳🏌️🍲🍿🎬🛍️ and much more👍

neogen

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
If anybody's earnings, spending behaviour and needs align with Infinia then he or she must go for this dream card. It's return in the form of experience is simply out of the world✈️🏨🛋️⛳🏌️🍲🍿🎬🛍️ and much more👍
Can you please explain this alignment part a bit? And what makes Infinia a dream card?

Akash777

TF Select
Can you please explain this alignment part a bit? And what makes Infinia a dream card?
I was telling your earnings, spending behaviour and needs/wants should align with your selection of Credit Card/Cards.
In my case... My CTC is little above 36 Lac pa but my expenditure is 1.5 Lac to 2 Lac per year. I don't travel extensively and don't prefer to stay in luxury hotels. I stay near Mumbai but the needs of my family are very less. So what's the point keeping a Ferrari when I prefer to travel by public transport. Apni toh soch bas SBI CashBack CC Tak hai. No spending milestone and no need to redeem points. Get the real cashback directly in your CC.
Look for yourself why HDFC Infinia is called a Dream CC at present. Check out the link below:

3 months back I took the Axis ATLAS and learnt my lesson in a hard way. Ofcourse I got 10K CV Points for a Joining fee of Rs.5000 + GST but you can't compare CV points with real cash. I will close this card after few months (before renewal). Yes, if I will again resume playing Golf then I might consider HDFC Infinia to access Golf Clubs⛳🏌️😎

1RC

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
1) Take-home is 1.5L a month.
2) 5 Lakhs on Amex (1 year old), 8 Lakhs on ICICI Coral (6 months old)
3) 770
4) About 50,000 - 60,000 (including rent of around 20,000 which I park on my SBI Vistara card).

I travel back home from Delhi quite frequently, which is why I was happy to put all my spends on the Axis Vistara card (and rent on the SBI Vistara card) until now without any thought. But I'm moving back home where Vistara has very little connectivity - so there's no point now!
Perfect this is helpful. I just don't want to suggest you anything random without understanding who you are. As I've said many times here before, credit cards are personal to everyone. One needs to choose based on their expense pattern.

So here we go:
  1. Now that you have moved away from DEL - Keep one of the two Vistara cards, no harm in keeping both. But then why pay annual fee next year on both. So keep one when the annual fee is due.
  2. Keep using MRCC or see if you can get Amex Gold Charge.
  3. Now you may chose to go with SBI Cashback but I will suggest, you look at SC Ultimate or Amex Plat Travel. It will give you a higher value prop compared to SBI cashback.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 1.43.22 PM.png
Hope this helps,

1RC

Last edited:

neogen

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I was telling your earnings, spending behaviour and needs/wants should align with your selection of Credit Card/Cards.
In my case... My CTC is little above 36 Lac pa but my expenditure is 1.5 Lac to 2 Lac per year. I don't travel extensively and don't prefer to stay in luxury hotels. I stay near Mumbai but the needs of my family are very less. So what's the point keeping a Ferrari when I prefer to travel by public transport. Apni toh soch bas SBI CashBack CC Tak hai. No spending milestone and no need to redeem points. Get the real cashback directly in your CC.
Look for yourself why HDFC Infinia is called a Dream CC at present. Check out the link below:

3 months back I took the Axis ATLAS and learnt my lesson in a hard way. Ofcourse I got 10K CV Points for a Joining fee of Rs.5000 + GST but you can't compare CV points with real cash. I will close this card after few months (before renewal). Yes, if I will again resume playing Golf then I might consider HDFC Infinia to access Golf Clubs⛳🏌️😎
Very valid points you have highlighted. Each card has to be looked from one's individual lens and opportunity. Appreciate.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
My option would be Amazon Pay ICICI. Currently, I have only that card, and with a 10L limit. That works best for me.
No tension, no hassles, no calculations, direct amazon pay cashback.

balpreet.singh

TF Select
VIP Lounge

2. SBI Vistara Prime
  3. Amex MRCC
  4. AmazonPay ICICI
  5. ICICI Coral RuPay
  6. HSBC Platinum
  7. AU Zenith
For me its HDFC Infinia if I have to keep just one card. Anyways most of my spend goes on it.

vine

TF Premier
With spends of about ~30k p.m. (mostly general online/offline spends/purchases, & maybe once a year budget-travelling) , if I want only one card in my wallet, which one should it be?

Can it be SBI cashback or Amex MRCC or something else?
I have Amazon ICICI and Airtel Axis cards.