• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

ICICI card holder died, bank harassing ADD ON HOLDER now.

0xShailesh

TF Select
Hi Guys,

My grandfather had a credit card with ICICI Bank in 2005. He passed away in 2007. He made an Add on card for my uncle a few months before passing away.

But somehow ICICI Bank shows this card in my Uncle's CIBIL, despite him being an add on card holder.

I don't understand how, I believe add on card holders are not responsible for the payment right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Already contacted Ombudsman, and RBI but RBI is closing the case.

Is there anything thaT could be done, since my uncle never used the card, he was just an add on card holder. Now the bank is forcing him to do a settlement at 60% all these years later, and never contacted him in past 16 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 2.48.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 2.48.50 PM.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 185

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Hi Guys,

My grandfather had a credit card with ICICI Bank in 2005. He passed away in 2007. He made an Add on card for my uncle a few months before passing away.

But somehow ICICI Bank shows this card in my Uncle's CIBIL, despite him being an add on card holder.

I don't understand how, I believe add on card holders are not responsible for the payment right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there anything thaT could be done, since my uncle never used the card, he was just an add on card holder. Now the bank is forcing him to do a settlement at 60% all these years later, and never contacted him in past 16 years.
The debt get passed on to the legal heir in some cases. But, add on card holder has no liability towards it. If you use add on card after death of primary cardholder, it is considered as fraud. After 16 years, no one can ask you to repay it.

0xShailesh

TF Select
The debt get passed on to the legal heir in some cases. But, add on card holder has no liability towards it. If you use add on card after death of primary cardholder, it is considered as fraud. After 16 years, no one can ask you to repay it.
Yes, that is right. The adon card was never used. Is there any RBI rule about it, maybe quoting it to ICICI would do something.

0xShailesh

TF Select
How can they ask your uncle to pay if addon was never used? Even if it had been used, he was not liable to pay as the primary only pays. This is total violation of rules
yes, don't know where are they making these rules. By the way are you aware of any RBI rule which I can quote them on the email about this.

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
T

The ombudsman says whatever the bank is saying is correct. The add-on card holder is liable to pay the dues. But did not quote any law or RBI rule as such.
Ek RTI file karo RBI ke against. Unse yeh guideline nikalvao add on cards ke regarding. Normal cases me 30 days lagta hai reply aane me but special cases me 48 hours me ho jaata hai. Special case wala approach kabhi try nhi kiya maine toh iske liye tumhe check karna padega.

j_s

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
There is a concept called statute of limitations in contract law. The onus is on the bank to prove that it qualifies under this. You will have to demand though. Get hold of a contracts lawyer.

ltf4ever

TF Ace
Hi Guys,

I am no expert on such issues, but if your uncle inherited your grandfather's assets, then he is also inherits liabilities.
so the net inheritance should pass on to the grandfather's successors which cannot go into negative.
happy if proved wrong on this.
EDIT: since credit card is unsecured credit, banks should not have any claim over assets of the customer who passed away. the risk the banks bear for this unsecured line of credit is modelled into their card fees and APR.
I suggest better get a lawyer. ICICI is stooping to a new low.

Last edited:

shushansh

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Firstly, it is definitely not ICICI who is asking the amount back, after 16 years, your debt definitely got sold to some recovery agency and they are simply pretending to be from ICICI to recover the debt.
Such recovery agencies may use really foul language and even threats just to get you to fold.
Since the debt would make no impact to your CIBIL or even your relation with ICICI, you can ignore these calls, no need to settle the debt.

It is possible that the recovery agency might report this as a fresh outstanding in your CIBIL, but you can fight it very easily, showing the proofs that it was a decade old debt.