• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

How to Convert secured to unsecured Credit Card Kotak Bank

ank_sh1

TF Premier
Hello there,
I have a secure credit card from Kotak Bank. I had done an FD of 20k initially and got a credit limit of 16k. It was my first credit card. I have utilised the card in a very decent way, with no delayed payment, and never utilised > 30%.

The bank increased my credit limit twice, once from 16k to 48k and the second from 48k to 110k. I have requested them multiple times requesting to upgrade the credit card & to convert the Secured to an Unsecured Credit card. Every time I receive the same generic response of not possible. I have other unsecured credit cards with some decent limits of 3.5L & 3L. They are asking me to close my current card and reapply again, and I don't want to do it, as it will close my oldest credit account which will impact my credit score and also hit Cibil when I apply for the card again.

Anyone who has successfully convinced Kotak to convert their existing Secured to Unsecured, please help me here with how you did it and how to convince them.

Regards,
Ankit

Strange

TF Legend
Hello there,
I have a secure credit card from Kotak Bank. I had done an FD of 20k initially and got a credit limit of 16k. It was my first credit card. I have utilised the card in a very decent way, with no delayed payment, and never utilised > 30%.

The bank increased my credit limit twice, once from 16k to 48k and the second from 48k to 110k. I have requested them multiple times requesting to upgrade the credit card & to convert the Secured to an Unsecured Credit card. Every time I receive the same generic response of not possible. I have other unsecured credit cards with some decent limits of 3.5L & 3L. They are asking me to close my current card and reapply again, and I don't want to do it, as it will close my oldest credit account which will impact my credit score and also hit Cibil when I apply for the card again.

Anyone who has successfully convinced Kotak to convert their existing Secured to Unsecured, please help me here with how you did it and how to convince them.

Regards,
Ankit
You should add "How to" in this thread title.

golu

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I am also in the same boat.
I also got 3 times limit increase on my fd based dream different card from kotak. I tried even emailing pno and done everything I could but they are not allowing this.

unusedbrain1

TF Premier
Hello there,

Regards,
Ankit
How many month it took you to get limit enhancement ?

jetesh

TF Ace
Hello there,

Regards,
Ankit
Your credit card variant ??

Rkr

TF Legend
TF Family
Contributor
Hello there,

Regards,
Ankit
Have you tried to cancel the FD by self ?
You have got limit enhancement so i doubt that your card is still unsecured..

Other way is that try to apply for another card...if approved, New card will be given on shared limit basis and thereafter close the first card.Thats it.

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Its a secured credit card. It is shown in Cibil & my FD is also in lein
I don't see the point of closing fd of 20k if u got 110k limit .

Secured card bring variety . Plus try calling cc & say u don't want renewal of fd when it expires .
Even if its lien with cc.

So either ur fd will be broken without cc close most chances
Or they will close ( rarely that will happen)