• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Fuel surcharge for Standard Chartered Ultimate card

navonline7

TF Premier
How much fuel surcharge % is levied when the Standard Chartered Ultimate card is used for fuel transactions? Until last week I was charged flat 1% extra, but the surcharge has been varying starting this week. For one of the transactions, I was charged Rs. 11.8 (5.62% of the transaction) on a fuel transaction of Rs. 210, whereas I should have been charged Rs. 212.1. For another fuel transaction, I was charged 1.25%. @TechnoFino @Subhankar

I couldn't find anything related to fuel surcharge in T&C, but I remember seeing it as 1%.

Last edited:

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
How much fuel surcharge % is levied when the Standard Chartered Ultimate card is used for fuel transactions? Until last week I was charged flat 1% extra, but the surcharge has been varying starting this week. For one of the transactions, I was charged Rs. 11.8 (5.62% of the transaction) on a fuel transaction of Rs. 210, whereas I should have been charged Rs. 212.1. For another fuel transaction, I was charged 1.25%. @TechnoFino @Subhankar

I couldn't find anything related to fuel surcharge in T&C, but I remember seeing it as 1%.
Pro tip: Never use CC for fueling small amounts i mean less than 500.
If u use ultimate then no worries that 3.33% return comes for fuel too.

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
₹ 10 or 1% of transaction (whichever is higher) on Petrol transactions. The rate of surcharge may vary depending on acquiring bank.

Goods and Services Tax ('GST') at prevailing rates is applicable on all taxable supplies.

Both are same fuel stations?

I always charged 11/- for 1000 worth of fuel in 8 different fuel stations.
Which card u use? Its right only, 1% with GST

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Yes. I usually do not consider cashback on bill payment which is adjusted and counted towards benefits of that account and not for the card. Always looking actual reward rate without bill payment cashback (that is bonus for me). In a way 2.3% is worth v. Citi Indian Oil 2.6% (minor reward but need to look for specific IndianOil stations).
IOCL on sometimes highway we need to search long.
Winner is HPCL followed by BPCL in South India.
So better to spend fuel via ultimate since no brand tag attached,
Have a glance for 3% HP using my trick(for ultimate u will get more):

navonline7

TF Premier
₹ 10 or 1% of transaction (whichever is higher) on Petrol transactions
are you sure? Because, I was charged flat 1% until last week for transactions as low as Rs. 100 too

the one where I got charged more was of HP petrol pump. So 5.62% is high. For a fuel transaction of Rs. 210, I should have been charged Rs. 212.1 or a maximum of 213, not 221.80, isn't it?

navonline7

TF Premier

It's not related to any particular bank, all bank cards follow same rule (10/- or 1%) its more or like govt. rule.

210 + 1% (2.1) or 10 whicher higher = 10 + GST (11.8) =221.8

So far with any bank fuel transactions, I got like this.

Note: With experience I got this..

Usually banks tells us they reverse 1% surcharge if more than 400/500 min. fuel depends on that card. But, they won't tell following..

Case 1:

Card charges: 1000 = 1% or 10 = 10+GST = 11.8
Bank reverse: 1000 = 1% = 10+GST = 11.8

So far, looks good right? (this is also reason I always fuel more than 1000 because..

Case 2:

Card charges: 500 = 1% or 10 = 10+GST = 11.8
Bank reverse: 500 = 1% = 5+GST = 5.9 (we lost 5.9)

Happened with Citi, Axis and HDFC cards.
Was completely unaware about this. Thank you for explaining it in an exhaustive manner.
Looks like I should top up paytm wallet with 4000 every month and use it for fueling my two wheeler. I have an Activa, which has a really small fuel tank. So it gets filled up Rs. 300-450 of fuel.