• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Finding the Perfect Secured Credit Card for CIBIL Building and Rewards! (OneCard is Out, Let's Discuss!)

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier

Hey everyone! I'm on the mission to build a solid CIBIL score and figured a secured credit card could be my key. I was initially eyeing the OneCard, but the lack of conversion to unsecured later down the line made me reconsider.​

After browsing through the forum, I learned add-on cards don't contribute to CIBIL, which was insightful! However, my main question remains unanswered: What secured credit card offers a sweet balance of CIBIL building potential and decent reward rates?
Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Strong CIBIL reporting: I want a card that consistently reports my responsible credit behavior to CIBIL.
  • Decent reward rate: Earning some rewards while building credit would be a bonus! Cashback, points, travel miles - anything works!
  • Reasonable fees: I understand secured cards come with fees, but I'd prefer them to be manageable.
  • Conversion to unsecured (optional): If possible, having the option to convert the card to unsecured in the future would be ideal.
I've read about various options like IDFC First WOW, Gild and Fi Simplifi, but I'd love to hear your real-world experiences and recommendations!
What secured credit card do you think ticks all the boxes? Bonus points if you have experience with one that eventually converted to unsecured!
Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!
P.S. If I missed any crucial details, please let me know! The more informed I am, the better I can choose the right card.
P.P.S. Anyone else here skipped OneCard for the same reason? Let's discuss!

varun__goel_

TF Legend
do you use a AmEx card? how is the acceptance at petrol pumps? should i use it there? because it is the only place where other credit cards don't give rewards
In my area acceptance is good, as most of the merchants have Paytm, Axis and ICICI POS. Only few have HDFC. You won't have any problem at IOCL pumps as they use ICICI machines

sidp

TF Ace
It sure does help build cibil.

Have got one for my mother. It was constantly declining because of no credit from past 10 years and it went below 700.

Now after issuance of the card. It has increased by 10 points in 2 months, though it is reported as authorised user
Might be a new development. Or is it an amex thing?

Cuz earlier I've seen multiple instances where issuers did hard enquiry for add ons and but cibil report didn't show those accounts.

varun__goel_

TF Legend
wait a sec, ICICI also reports to CIBIL for the add on card holder??
are there any specific cards with which this works, or does it work with every card?
and are you sure this works? I havn't read about this anywhere!!
Yes ICICI does. For any icici card it will work.
you can check here

varun__goel_

TF Legend
wait a sec, ICICI also reports to CIBIL for the add on card holder??
are there any specific cards with which this works, or does it work with every card?
and are you sure this works? I havn't read about this anywhere!!
BTW why you want to go for Add On route.

Simply open an account in HDFC or Axis. They will start offering cards within 6 months

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
BTW why you want to go for Add On route.

Simply open an account in HDFC or Axis. They will start offering cards within 6 months
Ok so,
My dad doesn't think having credit cards at such a young age is important (and maybe its not, idk)

So he won't maintain significant balance in my account just so that they offer me a pre approved credit card.

That's why I wanted to use an Amex add on👍

VibhavBilgoji

TF Premier
Ok so,
My dad doesn't think having credit cards at such a young age is important (and maybe its not, idk)

So he won't maintain significant balance in my account just so that they offer me a pre approved credit card.

That's why I wanted to use an Amex add on👍
And I already got an AmEx MRCC add on (last month), but it's not reflected in my cibil yet

Last edited:

Swastik

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Only few banks report add on cc to add on member cibil. Amex and ICICI are in that list
And I already got an AmEx MRCC add on (last month), but it's not reflected in my cibil yet
Amex Add on's do reflect in Cibil report, but it does not affect credit score i think ,

Or my GF holding my Amex Plat Travel add on (and Axis Magnus & Vistara Signature as well) would've gotten some credit score by now ,but her onescore is still just blank