• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Fedex Scam Call (Awareness Post)

gowthamv

TF Premier
Hi Guys,
Received a call today with no Truecaller details.

There was a robot voice which said my Fedex shipment cannot be delivered as it has some illegal items and it continued like "Press 1 to know more. Press 2 to speak to CC agent"

I pressed 2 and it connected to a guy. And the context of the call was like..

"I sent a parcel from Mumbai to Taiwan which was caught in Mumbai Customs as it has illegal items. I explained him that I don't live in Mumbai. Then he himself told my Contact Number and Name and it was right (This is what made me believe that the call was genuine :LOL: )

He said that my details are matching and someone might have misused my Aadhar for sending a illegal parcel. He asked me if I had given out my Aadhar card for any hotel ID proof purposes (which I mostly do).
He again verified if I had not sent any parcels recently.
He suggested me to give a legal complaint to Local Police as Mumbai Customs has already started fetching my details from Fedex Office."

Believe me, I was 75% convinced that this was real as he didn't ask any money to me or UPI PIN :D. He spoke very politely and was suggesting every ideas as if he was very caring to me.

Immediately after the call, I searched for "Fedex illegal items call" in Google, and there were a series of results from Reddit and many other forums. And there were several news articles on how these guys have scammed more than 10-15 lakhs.

The reason for this post is to inform you guys about this Scam if you are unaware of.
I am aware of so many banking scams happening around but still I failed to identify this as a Spam Call in the first attempt itself.