• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Weird incident / maybe a scam ?

Rahul92

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
A set of weird incidents happened today that very much felt like a scam process.

Someone claiming to be from Delhi railway station called and said that your 14 year son is lost , and he ( the child ) gave us your number.

They tried to verify my city and location . But I didn't gave exact details , just vague ones.

I asked them to send the photo of child with details on WhatsApp , which they did.

But , soon after this I've already received 3 spam calls ( those threatening types ) within 1 hr. All of them were automate ivr calls from general numbers. But , as I'm aware , I was able to deal with it.

1st call claimed to be from telecom department and said that all mobile numbers under my name will be blocked today ( really !!)
Press 1 to do this ... Bla bla. ...I hung up.

2nd call claimed to be from custom department and said that my passport will be blocked if I ..... I hung up.

3rd call claiming to be from hdfc bank about kyc , pan block.... !!!

WHAT I MEAN TO ASK ... IS THIS A NEW TYPE OF SCAM , and , may there be any connection between these 2 incidents ?

Moreover , what are absolute precautions one must take to avoid getting trapped in such frauds.

It might have happened that someone got your details (confidential ones also) and circulated them to scammers group and all different scammers trying to hit you first, reason you might have got calls subsequently.