• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Credit cards closure request query

the_collector

TF Premier
Hey guys,

What is the best approach to be followed when closing a credit card?

Let's assume I have an existing card that is due for renewal on the 10th of April, which of the following is the right approach:

1. Call the CC team before the 10th of April and raise closure request. This would mean no charges are posted to the account. This seems like the better method but we don't always remember the date the charges are going to be posted. If this method, what is the ideal time before the charges are posted we should raise the closure request?

2. Let the fees get charged on the 10th of April and then call them and request for closure? Do they ask you to pay the renewal fee and say that they will reverse it if you want to close? Or will they directly reverse the charges and close the card? Are there any problems in this method?

I ask because I haven't closed a card yet of mine and I have a fyf card that I would like to close and want to ensure I don't make any mistakes.

I haven't been able to find a thread related to this on the forum, so if there is an existing one , please guide me to it.

TIA

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hey guys,

What is the best approach to be followed when closing a credit card?

Let's assume I have an existing card that is due for renewal on the 10th of April, which of the following is the right approach:

1. Call the CC team before the 10th of April and raise closure request. This would mean no charges are posted to the account. This seems like the better method but we don't always remember the date the charges are going to be posted. If this method, what is the ideal time before the charges are posted we should raise the closure request?

2. Let the fees get charged on the 10th of April and then call them and request for closure? Do they ask you to pay the renewal fee and say that they will reverse it if you want to close? Or will they directly reverse the charges and close the card? Are there any problems in this method?

I ask because I haven't closed a card yet of mine and I have a fyf card that I would like to close and want to ensure I don't make any mistakes.

I haven't been able to find a thread related to this on the forum, so if there is an existing one , please guide me to it.

TIA
Which card ?
Which Variant?
Which bank ?
Whats the limit?
How much u used ?

There is thread for every bank card close request & negotiation with retention team

the_collector

TF Premier
Which card ?
Which Variant?
Which bank ?
Whats the limit?
How much u used ?

There is thread for every bank card close request & negotiation with retention team
Hey , thanks, I'm not particularly looking for retention.

I have a old amex payback card that i don't use anymore at all which I'm considering closing.

This is just a general enquiry on which is the better approach and I wanted to understand that if they do charge the annual fees, can you still request for card closure? Do they ask you to pay the charges first and then reverse?

Or they reverse it without me paying the fees and close the card?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
Hey , thanks, I'm not particularly looking for retention.

I have a old amex payback card that i don't use anymore at all which I'm considering closing.

This is just a general enquiry on which is the better approach and I wanted to understand that if they do charge the annual fees, can you still request for card closure? Do they ask you to pay the charges first and then reverse?

Or they reverse it without me paying the fees and close the card?

O k