• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Can you recommend the best AIF/PMS funds based on your experience

sidart

TF Select
VIP Lounge
There can be various options. It finally depends on the quantum of funds and your investing style.

simal

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

sun196

TF Buzz
When choosing any investment managers, you have to take a call on the fund manager. But that is easier said than done, especially when you're not a part of the industry. Most firms that you hear about or see on the TV channels are basically AUM games, their focus is maximising AUM, not returns. It's better to avoid the big brands, because under the brand umbrella as a marketing tool some fund manager will be directing your funds, someone you wouldn't give the time of the day if he had come to you independently. Even some independent managers who have become big names with big AUMs over the last few years are known in the industry as mediocre research guys, let alone good fund managers. But marketing success has taken them places. Good for them, but not good for you, as their investors are now discovering.

This was just to give the context behind this process of choosing investment managers. Don't focus on the short term returns. Take your time choosing a good fund manager, but then stick with them even if they're struggling in the near term. I've heard good things about the Aequitas, Whiteoak. Even the capitalmind chap is very good, though I don't know about his pms. But I would pick his pms because I'm investing with him. But picking fund managers is inherently difficult and a tricky business. Also keep in mind the tax and liquidity disadvantages when investing in PMS or AIFs.

My advice would be stick to MFs, preferably a mix of ETFs for large cap exposure and international exposure, and 2-3 MFs for midcap / small cap stocks.

Sorry for the long monologue, but this is a tricky decision.

simal

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
When choosing any investment managers, you have to take a call on the fund manager. But that is easier said than done, especially when you're not a part of the industry. Most firms that you hear about or see on the TV channels are basically AUM games, their focus is maximising AUM, not returns. It's better to avoid the big brands, because under the brand umbrella as a marketing tool some fund manager will be directing your funds, someone you wouldn't give the time of the day if he had come to you independently. Even some independent managers who have become big names with big AUMs over the last few years are known in the industry as mediocre research guys, let alone good fund managers. But marketing success has taken them places. Good for them, but not good for you, as their investors are now discovering.

This was just to give the context behind this process of choosing investment managers. Don't focus on the short term returns. Take your time choosing a good fund manager, but then stick with them even if they're struggling in the near term. I've heard good things about the Aequitas, Whiteoak. Even the capitalmind chap is very good, though I don't know about his pms. But I would pick his pms because I'm investing with him. But picking fund managers is inherently difficult and a tricky business. Also keep in mind the tax and liquidity disadvantages when investing in PMS or AIFs.

My advice would be stick to MFs, preferably a mix of ETFs for large cap exposure and international exposure, and 2-3 MFs for midcap / small cap stocks.

Sorry for the long monologue, but this is a tricky decision.
Thanks a. lot, its pretty useful input

sun196

TF Buzz
I would agree with that, except for smallcap and midcap funds, where active funds have a wider choice of investments. These might be worth a look, though the same problem of choosing among the myriad ones crops up again.

baheria

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Avoid PMS, better to go with ETF or Index funds. In the long run returns would be much better.