• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Buying XUV700/Innova Hycross with Credit Card

aj204~

TF Buzz
Narrowed down car search to 2 - XUV700 AX7L or Innova Hycross VX (on-road being quoted is about 32-33 L). Having put down the advance for both, I might take the one which gets delivered first probably which might be as early as Feb'24). I have also initiated the discussion with sales rep on using credit card for 15L and rest will be financed - so far both dearlership have asked for extra 2% - which I am going to negotiate further.

I have below cards with me. Need suggestions from you guys on how to maximize the returns and split the 15L bill here -

Card
Limit
Amex Plat Travel​
4.34L
Amex Plat Charge​
Magnus Burgundy​
9.73L (Shared Limit)
Axis Atlas​
9.73L (Shared Limit)
Yes First Exclusive​
3.75L
HDFC DCB​
9.73L (Shared Limit)
HDFC Marriott​
9.73L (Shared Limit)
ICICI Sapphiro​
5.6L (Shared Limit)
ICICI Amazon Pay​
5.6L (Shared Limit)
One Card​
5L
SBI Vistara​
4.67L

Last edited:

FinoGuy

TF Ace
Have them give it in writing to YOU stating they cannot accept payment via your credit card and why. Generally the first level of ground staff are puppets of seniors and just give a standard generic reply. Man up, escalate to their senior as high as you can go. Get things in writing via email or on their official paper as to why they do not want to accept and if they want to accept, they'll charge extra for accepting the payment via credit card. In most cases, this in itself will settle things if you take a stand and demand it in writing.
They just say "I can't & won't give you anything in writing. Do whatever you want!".

Ps:Ofcourse there are ways like sending tpc via official email/registered post but they're all time consuming

ccdc

TF Ace
I don't think any sales guy would ask you that before finalising or negotiating the deal. Makes zero sense.

They want to know whether you're paying full yourself or financing is involved so they can push for their in-house financing assistance (don't go for in-house obviously).

You can tell them some percent downpayment + financing or whatever depending on how you actually plan to take it forward and can tell them you'll take care of the financing yourself.
this happened with me when i bought a car in 2020 and that time they asked me upfront..how will you pay...cheque or card?

SmartSave

TF Premier
They just say "I can't & won't give you anything in writing. Do whatever you want!".

Ps:Ofcourse there are ways like sending tpc via official email/registered post but they're all time consuming

Escalate right there and demand to speak with the manager. If manager is the one showing this attitude, escalate further. This kinda attitude should never be entertained, they will obviously attempt to scare and shut the customer and most likely it does work when you aren't confident and lack awareness and guts to escalate any further.

No one has dared to do that ever in my case, the one time (an entire week actually but one-time here is basically that entire time the vehicle was with them) the service center ignored my calls and didn't give an update, I made them viral and the pressure from the manufacturer was such that, the head of the regional team, the service head of this dealer who is dominant in south India across many cities reached out and were the ones keeping me updated about the progress and obviously the service manager too got in line. Since then, I didn't ask for the updates, they were the ones keeping me in loop and that is how it should've always been...it was just that, they didn't prioritise my case and I was being taken for granted...there's more to this case than I can disclose but I'm highlighting a key point about not entertaining shit corporates do but to escalate if required (obviously I wouldn't do this for every silly things and allow a reasonable opportunity to the other party and try to mitigate the situation right there but if it isn't working, then there are channels meant for these reasons only even officially backed by the gov -- Consumer Affairs, Consumer Court, RBI Ombudsman, etc.).

this happened with me when i bought a car in 2020 and that time they asked me upfront..how will you pay...cheque or card?

You could've told them you would decide on this later when you reach the stage of finalizing and once you evaluate their quote. Is that hard to say that?

They certainly can't keep insisting you to answer that. Be open that you're in evaluation stage and checking out multiple vehicles (if you are) and also checking with different dealers and would go with the one that are keen to have you as their customer and would offer the best deal. Change the SA if required, no need to hesitate ;)

sidsonn

TF Buzz
Even Hospitals like apollo, fortis demand extra 2-3%.they even have posters sticked near billing counter about same. The problem is that, if you tell them it's illegal n all they say they're not accepting card payments temporarily! Then what to do?
I think this depends on the person sitting at the counter. I have faced situation in Fortis where I paid an advance portion for hospitalisation using my credit card, but later during follow up checks in OPD, sometimes a cashier might ask for the extra 2% and sometimes they don't. But as soon as you mention RBI's guidelines, they backoff

Escalate right there and demand to speak with the manager. If manager is the one showing this attitude, escalate further. This kinda attitude should never be entertained, they will obviously attempt to scare and shut the customer and most likely it does work when you aren't confident and lack awareness and guts to escalate any further.

No one has dared to do that ever in my case, the one time (an entire week actually but one-time here is basically that entire time the vehicle was with them) the service center ignored my calls and didn't give an update, I made them viral and the pressure from the manufacturer was such that, the head of the regional team, the service head of this dealer who is dominant in south India across many cities reached out and were the ones keeping me updated about the progress and obviously the service manager too got in line. Since then, I didn't ask for the updates, they were the ones keeping me in loop and that is how it should've always been...it was just that, they didn't prioritise my case and I was being taken for granted...there's more to this case than I can disclose but I'm highlighting a key point about not entertaining shit corporates do but to escalate if required (obviously I wouldn't do this for every silly things and allow a reasonable opportunity to the other party and try to mitigate the situation right there but if it isn't working, then there are channels meant for these reasons only even officially backed by the gov -- Consumer Affairs, Consumer Court, RBI Ombudsman, etc.).

You could've told them you would decide on this later when you reach the stage of finalizing and once you evaluate their quote. Is that hard to say that?

They certainly can't keep insisting you to answer that. Be open that you're in evaluation stage and checking out multiple vehicles (if you are) and also checking with different dealers and would go with the one that are keen to have you as their customer and would offer the best deal. Change the SA if required, no need to hesitate ;)
I remember reading something similar on T-BHP, was that guy you? Chennai if I remember correctly?

Lobogris

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I think this depends on the person sitting at the counter. I have faced situation in Fortis where I paid an advance portion for hospitalisation using my credit card, but later during follow up checks in OPD, sometimes a cashier might ask for the extra 2% and sometimes they don't. But as soon as you mention RBI's guidelines, they backoff
Is this in the South? In Delhi NCR, no hospital has such charges.

aj204~

TF Buzz
Happy to report back that I made the purchase in March 2nd week and took delivery of a XUV700 AXL 2024 model. Negotiated quite a bit and made offers/counter offers and stayed silent for a couple of weeks- but was only able to bring down the dealer to 1.5% MDR. Dealer wasn't ready to budge and I wanted the car for a family occasion urgently - so I decided to bite the bullet instead of waiting any further. Here is a breakup -

Total Paid through card -15.9L
Magnus Burgundy - 9.4L (+1.5% MDR)
SBI Vistara Prime - 4.5L (+1.5% MDR)
American Express Travel card -> Paytm -> UPI - 2.0L (2.65% Wallet Top up charges)

Total charges 20,850 + 5300 = Rs 26150
Total Paid = Rs 16.16L

Spoils (Approx) -
Magnus Burgundy - ~150000 Pts
SBI Vistara Prime - 3 PE Vistara Vouchers + 8000 CV Points
American Express Travel card - 19100 Pts

Unfortunately, I figured out on the day - that Magnus' overall limit is also its daily limit that cannot be breached, hence amount prepaid into magnus did not work out for me and I had to stay within overall limit. Decided to use SBI card as a backup and then had to improvise to use Amex Plat Travel because I fell short after maxing out first 2 cards.

In terms of monetary, I value points as below as my usual conversion on Axis is Accor and Amex is Marriott
Magnus Burgundy - 1.2L Accor Points @ Rs 1.8/Pt = Rs 216000 (~22% return)
SBI Vistara Prime - 7 thousand each for PE tickets and 8000 @ 0.8 Rs/CV point = Rs 27400 (~6% return)
American Express Travel card - 19100 Pts @Rs 0.8/Pt = Rs 15200 (~7.4% return)

Total Paid through CC (including MDR): Rs 16.16L
Total excess MDR = Rs 26150
Total benefit = Rs 258,600
Overall Return = ~16%

Considering that I managed to get 10 times the value of extra charges paid, I feel I did fairly well.
Hope this helps someone

Last edited: