• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Bank Scam using AADHAR - Deactivate Aadhaar Enabled Payment Service (AePS)

shivkumar

TF Select
if the aadhaar biometric is locked .. will I be able to do OTP verification for services like income return verification. or I have to unlock biometric to enable the same...

4uziaul

TF Pioneer
Contributor
Have you done it? Once I didn't get OTP , not in the case of ITD though..it's for something else, can't exactly remember
It wasn't for ITD, but I am absolutely sure it will work even when your Biometric is locked. I have used it recently for applying new credit card and even opening a new bank account. My Biometrics is locked for the past 3 months, and this morning, I even verified something using Aadhar OTP.

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
I can also confirm. I'm receiving adhar based Otp even if my biometrics are locked. You won't be able to verify biometrics only like fingerprint. It has nothing to do with otps
It wasn't for ITD, but I am absolutely sure it will work even when your Biometric is locked. I have used it recently for applying new credit card and even opening a new bank account. My Biometrics is locked for the past 3 months, and this morning, I even verified something using Aadhar OTP.
Okay, then in that case I must have locked the Aadhar … not just Aadhar biometrics at that time

SSV

TF Pioneer
Contributor
VIP Lounge
if the aadhaar biometric is locked .. will I be able to do OTP verification for services like income return verification. or I have to unlock biometric to enable the same...
You have to unlock
Correction..based on our lovely comrades feedback, it seems you get OTP even though your Aadhaar biometrics are locked. Having said that I can’t personally vouch for it as I haven’t personally experienced the same…

Last edited:

rohansamal

TF Buzz
That is why you should not lock it.
When you need to do Biometric Verification, It would not get unlocked if there is server issue.

I faced the same issue.
At the time of need, I was not able to unlock it.
Unnecessary Headache for me.

Without Biometric Verification and Aadhar Number, no one can withdraw funds from your Account using AEPS.

Think yourself in which situation your Fingre Prints get compromised to do BiometricVerification ?

Aadhar number may get compromised but Biometric Verification ?

How a Fraudster will complete Biometric Verification even if he/she has your Aadhar Number ?
Either by Kidnapping you or when you are not in your senses i.e, Drunked or he/she may fool you.

If there is any other situation let me know also.
Also in case your phone gets damaged/lost, it will be a headache to get a new sim / and thereby all financial transactions stuck

quino

TF Ace
RML Group
Not compulsary. This year I used my voters card to get a new sim.

Whoever asks you to show Aadhaar as "mandatory", ask him to give you written proof that Aadhaar is mandatory. OR tell them you don't have Aadhaar.
the question was for a replacement sim (means same number). did you get a new sim of existing number or new number?

also could you tell which provider? airtel/vi etc

yolofino

TF Ace
the question was for a replacement sim (means same number). did you get a new sim of existing number or new number?

also could you tell which provider? airtel/vi etc

Doesn't matter. Aadhaar is not mandatory for any transaction involving sim cards. Straight up ask them for written proof and tell them you don't have Aadhaar.

PS - I used https://10digi.com/ to port my number to another operator.

quino

TF Ace
RML Group
Doesn't matter. Aadhaar is not mandatory for any transaction involving sim cards. Straight up ask them for written proof and tell them you don't have Aadhaar.

PS - I used https://10digi.com/ to port my number to another operator.
theoretically that's correct. but most airtel/vi stores will refuse anything other than aadhaar. most of these stores are franchises kind of setups, and they will not take any risk. and they aren't obligated to give you anything in writing. most of them even overcharge for simple services like sim replacement. telecom companies are absolutely aware of this & won't do anything because for them this franchisee system is cheaper for maintaining presence in every village. basically, your statement isn't grounded in reality.

nevertheless, could you let us know if you got a new number or replaced an existing sim?

gowthamv

TF Premier
theoretically that's correct. but most airtel/vi stores will refuse anything other than aadhaar. most of these stores are franchises kind of setups, and they will not take any risk. and they aren't obligated to give you anything in writing. most of them even overcharge for simple services like sim replacement. telecom companies are absolutely aware of this & won't do anything because for them this franchisee system is cheaper for maintaining presence in every village. basically, your statement isn't grounded in reality.

nevertheless, could you let us know if you got a new number or replaced an existing sim?
Yeah. This is the major issue in locking the Biometrics.

Once our phone is lost, the first step we do is Deactivate/Block the SIM card by calling CC.

Practically, Getting a new SIM card of the same mobile number without AADHAR Biometrics is nearly close to impossible.

Can anyone suggest any other methods to get a new SIM card? (if available)

shivkumar

TF Select
This AEPS scam is getting bigger.. every day I come across someone complaining in twitter...

If aadhaar is only required to get duplicate sim.. soon the scammers will find out a way to obtain replacement sim.. unlock the biometric lock & scam people..

both SIM & Aadhaar biometric is not safe.. RBI & Aadhaar guys review the system seriously..

varun__goel_

TF Legend
If your Aadhaar is linked to your bank account, and your bank has enabled AePS transactions in your account, then you can perform AePS transactions from your account.

Aadhaar can be seeded for DBT in only one account, and you can also perform AePS transactions from that Aadhaar-seeded account.
I understand this but what I am asking is:-
I have a/c in HDFC, sbi, axis etc and aadhar is seeded in hdfc, so using aeps money can be withdrawn only from hdfc or all others also