• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus : Optimal Usage Guide and Valuation

Axis Magnus is undoubtedly the hot cake in the credit card community now. Everyone is jumping for it just because they just don't want to miss out. There are people who also are thinking if it's the right card for them or not as their spending is not at the higher end. This article is going to be useful for them as well as who're already holding this card but haven't made a proper spending calculations and value calculations.

IMG_4249.JPG

First Let's talk about what are the features that make Magnus the best card out there in overall manner.

Sweet Spots:

1. Flat 4.8% reward rate
2. 25K bonus Edge RP on monthly ₹1L milestone, boost return to 24.8%
3. 5x RP on Travel Edge, Gift Edge with no cap on bonus RP
4. Markup is 2% + GST. Only useful if hitting ₹1L spending milestone in a calendar month.

Now the 3 Categories of People are:

1. Category 1:
₹12L to 15L of spending per annum

2. Category 2: ₹7L to ₹11L of spending per annum

3. Category 3: ₹4L to ₹6L of spending per annum

For all the 3 Categories you can identify yourself to which you do belong & thus you know where you do spend. Thus not going category wise spending.

Rather what I’m elaborating is where you can earn more and how much is the valueback even if you pay both the joining & annual fee

💸 Category 1:

With ₹12L-15L of spending you’re paying joining fee as well as annual fee unless you’re hitting ₹15L annual spends.

Assuming that you’re hitting 1L milestone for at least 10 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 10 = 2.5L RP

For 12L Spends: 6K * 12 = 72K RP

For ₹15L Spends: 6K * 15 = 90K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹15L = 2.5L + 90K = 3,60,000 Edge RP

For ₹12L = 2.5L + 72K = 3,22,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹15L = 2,88,000

For ₹12L = 2,57,600

That’s 2x BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip in F class for you in both the cases

Fee Vs Value:

For 15L
of annual spends you’re getting fee waiver. You’re paying only ₹11,800 as joining fee

For 12L
of annual spends you’re paying both joining and annual fee. You’re paying ₹23,600

In both cases you’re getting ₹10K Tata Cliq voucher + ₹6L worth Flight Fare

💸 Category 2:

For ₹7L-₹11L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 5 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 5 = 1.25L RP

For ₹7L Spends: 6K * 7 = 42K RP

For ₹11L Spends: 6K * 11 = 66K RP

Total RP Gain:

For ₹11L = 1.25L + 66K = 1,91,000 Edge RP

For ₹7L = 1.25L + 42K = 1,67,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹11L = 1,52,800

For ₹7L = 1,33,600

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN roundtrip 1) 1x in Business Class & 1x in Economy Class
Or 2) 1x in F Class

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.85L (Business + Economy) or ₹3L worth of Flight Ticket.

💸 Category 3:

For ₹4L-₹6L of spending you’re paying both the joining and annual fee.

Assuming that you’re hitting ₹1L milestone at least for 3 months.

Total milestone RP: 25K * 3 = 75K

For ₹4L Spends: 6K * 4 = 24K

For ₹6L Spends: 6K * 6 = 36K

Total RP Gain:

For ₹6L = 75K + 36K = 1,10,000 Edge RP

For ₹4L = 75K + 24K = 99,000 Edge RP

Equivalent KF Miles:

For ₹6L = 88,000

For ₹4L = 79,200

That’s BOM/DEL 🔁 SIN round trip 1) 1x in Business Class. 2) 2x in Economy Class

⚠️For ₹4L spends you’re short of 6K Miles

Fee Vs Value:

For both cases you’re paying joining + annual fee, which is ₹23,600 in total.

You’re getting 10K Tata Cliq Vouchers in both cases of joining and renewal. ₹1.2L (Business) or ₹1.3L (2x Economy) worth of Flight Ticket

Above all are the “Flat Value” calculations and ofcourse, real life usage will differ from one individual to another, but that’s what you get at those spending brackets.

That’s not the all, with Magnus you’ve access to quite a decent amount of accelerated RPs, monthly.

Accelerated RP Earning:

Gift Edge:

1. 3x RP on amazon voucher, with a monthly capping of ₹10K worth of vouchers
2. 5x RP on Croma, Tata Cliq, Flipkart, Kalyan Jewellery, PCJ, Reliance Digital, Blinkit etc
3. 10x RP on Myntra, Shopper’s Stop, Pantaloons, Yatra, MMT, KFC, Pizza Hut, Domino’s etc

Travel Edge:

You get 5x RP if you book flight and hotels via Travel Edge

Grab Deals:

Often you can see cashback or accelerated RP through it, but comes with capping

As you can see most of you basic needs will be covered with the vouchers

This is an overall usage guide, it’s not meant to be 100% suitable for an individual as everyone has different kind of spendings.

The best you can do is to firstly write down your spending categories, check if you can buy the GVs to spend in those then optimise it accordingly ✌🏻

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yup. Don't have burgundy. Makes sense. Thanks!
Also we are discussing normal monthly spends here and not very high spends. As Magnus again becomes attractive for spends more than 1.5 lakhs as you get 35 ER per 200 for spends above 1.5 lakh. So it becomes little complicated in spends with high month.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Since 3 to 4 months my spends on Magnus is below ₹500 per month.
Luckly got infinia aprox 3 months ago. So shifted all spend to Infinia.
Average spends (including Smartbuy)are generating descent 8 to 10 % returns for me. I guess thats enough considering current situations.
@MartianManhunter

Last edited:

Thomas244

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Post Magnus's devaluation, is anybody still using Magnus if they also have Infinia? Asking because I have completely shifted my spending to Infinia because of all the confusion. Apart from Magnu's Meet & Greet and BMS's BOGO offer, I don't use it at all. Is there anything I am missing?
I am using in the hope that I will get Magnus burgundy and shift of all points. But there seems to be a doubt now

Ravana_88

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Do you get Eazy Diner Membership on Magnus renewal ( mine will be free since I cross the spend threshold of 15 L )

Noctis7

TF Select
Post Magnus's devaluation, is anybody still using Magnus if they also have Infinia? Asking because I have completely shifted my spending to Infinia because of all the confusion. Apart from Magnu's Meet & Greet and BMS's BOGO offer, I don't use it at all. Is there anything I am missing?

Infinia now beats normal Magnus easily unless you have very high spends in a single month wherein the 15k bonus cap gets hit while Magnus gives almost 3x points. Even with Burgundy Magnus Infinia is still superior for many vouchers due to gift edge devaluation as well as for hotels (33% vs 24%). Infinia also have the advantage of redeeming points directly for flights if you don't want to bother with the airmiles game, although axis has more transfer partners if you do.

cardio_guy

TF Premier
Experts, Some very basic questions about point redemption. Please help to answer.

1. Can we use points in our card for our family members? Like, can we transfer the points or use it to book tickets for them?

2. If we are booking for ourselves, is it required that the name on card and passport should be same? Because I have expanded name in passport and no where else.

3. If 2 people are traveling, can we use points from one card for both of them?

(Sorry for being naive, I am not sure how this works.)
TIA.

bigbrain

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Experts, Some very basic questions about point redemption. Please help to answer.

1. Can we use points in our card for our family members? Like, can we transfer the points or use it to book tickets for them?

2. If we are booking for ourselves, is it required that the name on card and passport should be same? Because I have expanded name in passport and no where else.

3. If 2 people are traveling, can we use points from one card for both of them?

(Sorry for being naive, I am not sure how this works.)
TIA.
I transferred all points to my frequent flyer program and then booked for my entire family.
Typically you are allowed to add nominees in your account and can only change once in 6 months.

My name on card is not expanded but my frequent flyer program has full name and had no issues in booking.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
How? Context/ Background wrt to Infinia & your HDFC history
My story is simple. Nothing unusual.

Started HDFC moneyback 5 to 6 yrs ago. 4 years were minimal spends. 5 to 10 K permonth. 60 K was limit.
Then started to spends more. Got time bound upgrade offer on cards and limit.

Before getting HDFC Infinia upgrade offers on netbanking, I was using Regalia with 9.1 Lacs limit.

Yes, I tried to upgrade via physical form submission at Chennai office for couple of times, but it went waste.

Using infinia since 4 to 5months now.Going great. Everything is transparent. Points are coming properly.

insight

TF Ace
Thanks for sharing the details, truly appreciate it.
Started HDFC moneyback 5 to 6 yrs ago. 4 years were minimal spends. 5 to 10 K permonth. 60 K was limit.

Then started to spends more.
Do elaborate?
Got time bound upgrade offer on cards and limit.
Do share what kind of timelines / what kind upgrades & LEs?
PS: Trying to paint a picture

Before getting HDFC Infinia upgrade offers on netbanking, I was using Regalia with 9.1 Lacs limit.
Cause I am likely to go C2C with 5L using Magnus to try and get Reg Gold or if lucky try for DCB - LTF.

This helps bit really as a great data point on your timeline;
What kinaa spends and how long were you on this before the Infinia offers started?
PS: Netbanking = You were also banking with them or just CCs?

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thanks for sharing the details, truly appreciate it.

Do elaborate?

Do share what kind of timelines / what kind upgrades & LEs?
PS: Trying to paint a picture

Cause I am likely to go C2C with 5L using Magnus to try and get Reg Gold or if lucky try for DCB - LTF.

This helps bit really as a great data point on your timeline;
What kinaa spends and how long were you on this before the Infinia offers started?
PS: Netbanking = You were also banking with them or just CCs?
I appreciate your concerns sir. But, If you excuse me, I am not comfortable in sharing my financials.

But I will answers your queries in a best possible way(according to me).

Time line- 6 yrs ago got Moneyback. 60 K limit. Negligible spends. No LE/ upgrade offers fir next 3 years.
In next two years, slowly I got limit upgrades. 90 K, 1.2 L, 1.9 L .Upgraded from Regalia first to Millenia.
Next year got huge LE, 3.2 L. Got Regalia. Aprox two years no further upgrade offers.
LE offer upto 5.6 L last year.
This year around january, got huge LE offer. 9.1L(I dont know the reason for HDFC generocity.)
Then around April got Infinia offer.

This aproximately sums my story.

And yes I am HDFC salary account holder since 2 years.

insight

TF Ace
I appreciate your concerns sir. But, If you excuse me, I am not comfortable in sharing my financials.
Totally understand we do not want your private financials and its great that you are anonymous behind an ID and we do not know you,
Just "demographic numbers & parameters" to gauge how HDFC systems are pushing things forward on their client "brackets".
But I will answers your queries in a best possible way(according to me).

Time line- 6 yrs ago got Moneyback. 60 K limit. Negligible spends. No LE/ upgrade offers fir next 3 years.
In next two years, slowly I got limit upgrades. 90 K, 1.2 L, 1.9 L .Upgraded from Regalia first to Millenia.
Next year got huge LE, 3.2 L. Got Regalia. Aprox two years no further upgrade offers.
LE offer upto 5.6 L last year.
Any of these so far LTF or Paid during your CHANGE milestones?
So I'll likely be entering in this bracket.. hoping to figure out ways to replicate your patterns to GAME the system.
Oh! wow :D Any type of spending patterns (types, categories, numbericals) that might've caused this?
This year around january, got huge LE offer. 9.1L(I dont know the reason for HDFC generocity.)
Patterns that maybe we can hope to hack to emulate/ replicate for similar SYSTEM outcomes.
After all its all algorithms / rules in place inside their systems.
Then around April got Infinia offer.
Nice. Well put and well articulated helps a lot..
If you feel you can share some abstracted clues without revealing personal info, on how we may replicate these, all pointers welcome.

This aproximately sums my story.

And yes I am HDFC salary account holder since 2 years.
Lovely. Do you think Salary jumps and/ or Spend patterns might've correlated/ caused any of the above jumps in the post 5.x L mileston?

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Totally understand we do not want your private financials and its great that you are anonymous behind an ID and we do not know you,
Just "demographic numbers & parameters" to gauge how HDFC systems are pushing things forward on their client "brackets".

Any of these so far LTF or Paid during your CHANGE milestones?
So I'll likely be entering in this bracket.. hoping to figure out ways to replicate your patterns to GAME the system.
Oh! wow :D Any type of spending patterns (types, categories, numbericals) that might've caused this?

Patterns that maybe we can hope to hack to emulate/ replicate for similar SYSTEM outcomes.

After all its all algorithms / rules in place inside their systems.

Nice. Well put and well articulated helps a lot..
If you feel you can share some abstracted clues without revealing personal info, on how we may replicate these, all pointers welcome.

Lovely. Do you think Salary jumps and/ or Spend patterns might've correlated/ caused any of the above jumps in the post 5.x L mileston?
Yes. salary account, spending 80 to 90 K per month on Regalia CC, and using Smartbuy to buy vouchers, might have helped. Other than this I have no association with HDFC.

TF Premier
Yes. salary account, spending 80 to 90 K per month on Regalia CC, and using Smartbuy to buy vouchers, might have helped. Other than this I have no association with HDFC.
I think your spends must be the reason of the generosity of HDFC. I started with regalia first with limit around 1.8L. Upgraded it to Regalia with 3.4L limit. This year got LE to 5.17L and got DCB LTF. But since past 10-11 months no LE offered by HDFC. Spends are approx 20-25K per month. I do have a salary account.