• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Axis Magnus Credit Card - Miles Transfer are misleading

sunnyb

TF Buzz
Dear Friends,

My Magnus credit card has been in use for a while. Now, I have over 70000 edge points. I therefore considered transferring them to Singapore Airlines' or Vistara's Air Miles program.

However, the calculation shown here is quite worrisome.

Delhi - Singapore - Return Airfare in March = INR 22,606
Breakup -​
Airfare = INR16,645​
Taxes and Fees - INR5,961​

Vistara Airlines CV points = INR12,854 + 27,886 CV POINTS

Why is Vistara charging so many CV points and taxes?
Anyone who can help me understand it?

gurbina

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Dear Friends,

My Magnus credit card has been in use for a while. Now, I have over 70000 edge points. I therefore considered transferring them to Singapore Airlines' or Vistara's Air Miles program.

However, the calculation shown here is quite worrisome.

Delhi - Singapore - Return Airfare in March = INR 22,606
Breakup -​
Airfare = INR16,645​
Taxes and Fees - INR5,961​

Vistara Airlines CV points = INR12,854 + 27,886 CV POINTS

Why is Vistara charging so many CV points and taxes?
Anyone who can help me understand it?
You must be doing cash + points. I just checked and it's 42k points roundtrip + INR ~5k
Also the amount of points is based on routing. For nonstop is 21k but if routed via Pune or any other city then they'll charge you extra for that one leg but you're giving a pretty strange CV points number which leads me to believe you're doing cash + points.

sunnyb

TF Buzz
You must be doing cash + points. I just checked and it's 42k points roundtrip + INR ~5k
Also the amount of points is based on routing. For nonstop is 21k but if routed via Pune or any other city then they'll charge you extra for that one leg but you're giving a pretty strange CV points number which leads me to believe you're doing cash + points.
then also its quite high and it brings down the value of these edge points.

With your calculation its almost 47000 ( 1 CV point = 1 rupee) whereas the actual cost is less than Rs: 23000/-

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I think he is getting round trip for around 23k.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
In practical scenarios, 1 mile is never equal to 1 Rs , in best case the valuation comes somewhere between 0.30 to 0.50 as per my experience, in your calculation you are getting almost 0.50 which is pretty good as per me. Consider you got 31k points using magnus for a month with milestone , that will be equivalent to around 25k Miles on conversion, now say you are seeing a cash price of return flight at 25k , so if 1 miles = 1 Rs in that case , your net return will stand as 25% , which is impossible in best case it would remain in between 8 to 12% , which you are getting.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Actually , I feel this miles thing is extremely overhyped since Magnus came into picture . People are only considering happy case scenarios which are pretty rare , or you need a specific talent in finding those rare award flights where you get around 1 miles to 0.7 to 0.75 conversion rate , but that is once in every thousand situation. For most people max they can earn 0.40 , and for 90% people those miles are just going to remain in their accounts because , when you tend to book those fights , you will get much good deals in skyscanner or kayak for international flights

sunnyb

TF Buzz
Further research revealed that domestic flights will provide you with more CV points than international flights.

———————————————————
Delhi - Goa - Delhi [4 PAX]
CV Points = 48000
Tax = INR 5372
Direct booking

Total = INR 40000
———————————————————
Delhi - Singapore - Delhi [4 PAX]
CV Points = 168000
Tax = INR 21564
Direct booking
Total = INR 85000
———————————————————

CMG

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Further research revealed that domestic flights will provide you with more CV points than international flights.

———————————————————
Delhi - Goa - Delhi [4 PAX]
CV Points = 48000
Tax = INR 5372
Direct booking

Total = INR 40000
———————————————————
CV Points = 168000
Tax = INR 21564
Direct booking
Total = INR 85000
———————————————————
check BOM to DEL in business class
BOM -> DEL = ₹22,440
BOM -> DEL = CV18000 + ₹524 tax

In this case cv value is > ₹1

As the CV points needed for each sector is fixed and does not depend on the dates, the value of each point cannot be considered while booking to get a higher value for the ER points. If we book for a flight which is at short notice we would get a higher value for each ER as the revenue ticket price would be higher :)

gurbina

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
1674634396358.png

^^

CV Points = 168000
Total Tax = INR 21564

Direct booking via makemytrip
Total = INR 85000

It is way expensive.
In Vistara, no. It's INR 27k-28k per pax on the same nonstop flights.
That's at least 1.1L.

Second the outbound flight is only like 1k taxes, on the return is 4k due to SIN airport fees. These are never included in the award redemptions.
Fly with points there and fly back on a revenue ticket if it spares the value of your points.

Obviously all airlines have different prices based on a lot of factors. Even the same airline has wildly different prices for flights on the same day in the same route and even aircraft type. Also different bucket classes with limited inventory, some seats will sell cheaper than others, some might be excluded from points earning or at a lower earning rate.

Anyway, if it doesn't work for you, pay cash then. Not all redemptions will have good value.

If there's good pricing in certain routes with cash why use your miles? Keep them for cases where you can get better value out of them.

I personally only use it when it makes sense, if the flights are cheap or there's promotions I wouldn't waste my points.

Last edited:

MilesMax

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
On a side note, Why don't you use Singapore Air? You need 40k miles per person as compared to 44k miles on Vistara.
Singapore Air is better than Vistara.

gabu

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Vistara is good for domestic only and if you want to use vistara domestic then their own cards stand out.

united asks 27.5k miles + 27usd for same vistara singapore route