• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex upgrade offer: Take or Pass?

VGisHere

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Today, I got a message in Amex app for an eligible upgrade from MRCC to Platinum Travel Card!

I went through the details of the same but couldn’t find anything concrete to take up the offer!

Also, I couldn’t find a fee waiver option as spend based benefit unlike MRCC!

Also in 2021, I wasnt able to reach the milestone but Amex waived off fee as goodwill gesture on MRCC!

So, I’m wondering if this really is an upgrade?

My first thoughts, I’ll pass.
But would be great to know some insights on the same!

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
So guys, Its been 6 months using MRCC. Hitting 20k every month.

And today I received a upgrade offer like OP. ₹3500 joining, ₹5000 renewal fee. And welcome benefit of 10k MR points.

I also read in many posts people suggesting to apply Plat Travel via ref link for FYF + 2k MR.

But I'm confused about Plat Travel basically as i recently got Magnus and according to my calculations can hit 1lac atleast for 3-4 months, if used correctly.
Other than these months, i can use either PlatTravel or Magnus.

So my question is, Magnus without monthly milestone is better or worse than Plat Travel with 4lac yearly milestone?
(if for time being we assume AMEX acceptability is not an issue)

@Wealth is my birth right! @RewardsAlert @anirban.choudhury @Slayer
Magnus is better at anypoint.
If you can hit milestone for 3 months also, you can generate way more returns in Magnus than platinum travel.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thought so too. But then asked here to confirm my logic and get an idea if PlTrv holds any value over Magnus.
3 Month Milestone-75000 ER points. So many options to convert to variety of hotels and airmiles programmes.
After conversion you will get 60000 points. That itself gives more value in form Marriott points.
But other options like ITC and Accorr will give more better value back.
E.G 5 nights stay in ITC Banaulim, Goa cost 30 to 40 K points.Same with Accor.

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
3 Month Milestone-75000 ER points. So many options to convert to variety of hotels and airmiles programmes.
I am clear about milestone months part. Noone can beat Magnus there.

My question is about non milestone months. That's why specifically asked -
Magnus without monthly milestone is better or worse than Plat Travel with 4lac yearly milestone?

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
So guys, Its been 6 months using MRCC. Hitting 20k every month.

And today I received a upgrade offer like OP. ₹3500 joining, ₹5000 renewal fee. And welcome benefit of 10k MR points.

I also read in many posts people suggesting to apply Plat Travel via ref link for FYF + 2k MR.

But I'm confused about Plat Travel basically as i recently got Magnus and according to my calculations can hit 1lac atleast for 3-4 months, if used correctly.
Other than these months, i can use either PlatTravel or Magnus.

So my question is, Magnus without monthly milestone is better or worse than Plat Travel with 4lac yearly milestone?

@Wealth is my birth right! @RewardsAlert @anirban.choudhury @Slayer
I too got this mail today
Good with Amex every 3 months they send some new card offers
Coming out to the query for non milestone benefits in Magnus card u can opt for plat travel and get planned for taj redemptions
I hold gold charge and mrcc so not taking plat travel now (another reason I am at 12l spend in Magnus card so I focus for 15l to get renewal fee waiver)

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I too got this mail today
Good with Amex every 3 months they send some new card offers
Ohh cool..

Coming out to the query for non milestone benefits in Magnus card u can opt for plat travel and get planned for taj redemptions.
Yeah right... Some more research indicates ~7% (after fee) of Plat Travel is better than ~4.8% for non milestone spends of Magnus.

So comes down to redemptions I guess.
If one cannot/would not redeem MR for Taj for some reason then whats the next best alternative to beat Magnus?
What do you think?

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Ohh cool..

Yeah right... Some more research indicates ~7% (after fee) of Plat Travel is better than ~4.8% for non milestone spends of Magnus.

So comes down to redemptions I guess.
If one cannot/would not redeem MR for Taj for some reason then whats the next best alternative to beat Magnus?
What do you think?
With taj tariff if you’re able to use MR that way only we can touch Magnus card 5:4
Cos Magnus card have 5x partnership too
But having plat travel with a 4l per annum spend will add value somehow in my opinion

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I am clear about milestone months part. Noone can beat Magnus there.

My question is about non milestone months. That's why specifically asked -
I also hold Amex Plat Travel (6 months old). And Magnus (3 month old card).
I have planned in a way so that I get 5-6 months of Magnus milestone. Then once that is achieved then shift spends to plat travel to complete 4 lac milestone.
In my logic, I can extract a good value from both cards.

It's upto you. You can decide according to your need.
Both cards are good.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
How do get this 7%?
Its 12.39 % return on Paid variant of Plat Travel in first year. And 9.8 % after first year.

First year- Joining benefit 10,000 Points+ 40,000 point Milestone benefit.
Total expense 4,03,500(inclusive of joining fee)
50,000/4,03,500×100=12.39%

Second year onwards- 40,000 Points, Expense 4,05,000.
40,000/4,05,000×100=9.8%

P.S.-GST not included for simple understanding.

Its 12.39 % return on Paid variant of Plat Travel in first year. And 9.8 % after first year.

40,000/4,05,000×100=9.8%

Yeah so how does 1 MR equate to Re. 1? That's the part I don't get. When 2 MRs give 1 airline mile... how does this calculation work? Where do you get the Re. 1 redemption?

CVR

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

40,000/4,05,000×100=9.8%

You also get 8000 normal points for spending 4 lakh.. and 10k taj voucher apart from bonus points on spending 4 lakh.. i have both magnus and plat travel.. use magnus for monthly milestone and plat travel for 4 lakh annual.. best part about plat travel is no headache of monthly milestone or doing any particular no of transactions.. i think this is best amex card..

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
You also get 8000 normal points for spending 4 lakh.. and 10k taj voucher apart from bonus points on spending 4 lakh.. i have both magnus and plat travel.. use magnus for monthly milestone and plat travel for 4 lakh annual.. best part about plat travel is no headache of monthly milestone or doing any particular no of transactions.. i think this is best amex card..
Yes. Correct.
What I have quoted is minimal reward ratio for 4 lac spend.If reward multiplier platform is used, then reward ratio will jump even higher.
It's one of the best Amex credit card IMO.

ALOAK

TF Ace
Yes in amex it is good they did not keep monthly milestone. Plat travel is still a good rewarding card hands down. I have another 1.2lakhs to spend by Oct 10th for 4lakhs.

Planning for a night suite offer received by oberoi and some wallet loads and will finish it.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Yeah so how does 1 MR equate to Re. 1? That's the part I don't get. When 2 MRs give 1 airline mile... how does this calculation work? Where do you get the Re. 1 redemption?
Highest redemption value is in Marriott Bonvoy(MB) programme.
1 Amex Reward points equate to 1 MB Reward point.

There are few hotels in MB which gives good value back if booked via reward points. Value of 1 MB rewards points ranges from 0.4 to 1.7 Rs(sometimes even more than 2.0)

ALOAK

TF Ace
This month planning to fly dehli and jaipur and back to bangalore as one of my Vistara award ticket is due for expiry in first week Aug and returning will fly by airindia using amex so it should cover completion of 4lkh milestone.

NikhilTravelLover

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Highest redemption value is in Marriott Bonvoy(MB) programme.
1 Amex Reward points equate to 1 MB Reward point.

There are few hotels in MB which gives good value back if booked via reward points. Value of 1 MB rewards points ranges from 0.4 to 1.7 Rs(sometimes even more than 2.0)
Yeah that's not how you calculate average value of a MR point.

You cannot calculate value of a MR by saying that to get that value you have to take a peak season flight to the Maldives during a specific Lithuanian festival date, then a $1500 boat ride to the Ritz Carlton Maldives and then order 3 glasses of lassi there and then drink the first two and in the third one throw some of your own hair in there when no one is looking and then create a big scene and then get a $100 discount on your massage vouchers and that's how you can get Rs. 2/MB!

You have to be able to in a significantly vast majority of cases be able to redeem for a particular average value to say that that's the value of a MR point. After that you certainly can have outsized redemption or even losses.

I have done SQ F redemption Re. 5+ and error SQ J redemption at Re. 4+. But that's not what I value my other cards points at. Neither would I calculate the value of a CC point based on a very particular outsized SQ Spontaneous Escapes or AF Promo Awards redemption or a huge loss making DL dynamic award redemption that priced an award 5x more than what it could be got for from say VS. All that would be absurd.

MB on average returns Re. 0.5 for MR. Which is right at par with the rest of the MR to airline miles redemption (except UK).

Last edited: