• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Upgrade

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded to Platinum using the upgrade offer received as shown in the picture? What is the process like?

Attachments

• B93AA4F0-DAAC-43E7-AE86-E67FDE6230BD.png
    B93AA4F0-DAAC-43E7-AE86-E67FDE6230BD.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 287

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I thought a lot but later decided not to take it.
Advantages of taking it -
1) Amex Platinum Travel card becomes LTF till you hold this card
2) And of course 1.25L MR points.

Disadvantage
1) Huge fee - 70800 (including GST)
2) No annual waiver. You might get annual waiver after negotiation but we don't what's that magic number on which we might get annual waiver.

Instead of this I went ahead and took Axis reserve. One of the prime reason was it has annual waiver on spend of 25lakh which I might reach.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Ok
But even for airmiles won’t 1.25 lakhs MR better than 50k ER just for extra 11k Rs ?
Good point.
Let me show case my calculation
1.25 lakh MR best value for transfer to Air mile would be 62500 Airmiles (2:1)
worst case - 41666 (3:1)

So by paying ~71k, I would get 41666 to 62500 air miles(limited option). Value : ~ 0.6 - 0.9
For Axis reserve, paying 59k, I would get 40000 air miles(with more options). Value : ~ 0.68

So, it's almost same(Amex has better value for best case scenario).

Suppose one spends 25 lakh(in my upcoming year I might have that spend) on both cards.
Axis reserve - 187500 edge rewards = 150000 + 40000(renewal benefit) = 190000 airmiles
Amex - 62500 MR = 20833-31250 airmiles
This is drastic downfall here. I am not bringing in multiplier, foreign transaction for simplicity. Otherwise, the difference will be even big(Foreign transaction - 3 MR per 40 for Amex = 15MR per 200 vs Axis reserve's 30ER per 200. I think forex charges for Amex Platinum is 3.5% and Axis reserve is 1.5%). On top of this Axis reserve we are sure that we will get 50k edge points on renewal and there will be no annual fee if spend crosses 25 lakh. But with Amex, we don't know(it all depends on negotiation etc).

I am not listing other benefits for Reserve(Airport pick up and drop, meet and greet service). Plus other hotel benefits(may be Amex has better hotel benefits compared to Axis reserve, I have not compared in terms of that as I don't have priority in hotels).

Based on this, I went ahead with Axis reserve. I can't take both as I won't be able to spend much on Amex as I will be targeting to reach 25 lakh on Axis Reserve.

But again, it all depends on preference. If one is into Marriot then Amex is no brainer I guess.

Last edited:

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Great analysis
So yeah If one has 25 lakhs spend then it’s good to take reserve

I was just of the view that I take the card and spend 0 for the year , and close the card next year and May be take Reserve for the 50k ER again

May be Amex still gives another 1.25 As annual fees compensation , Amex is pretty good with that , but we won’t get anything such with reserve mostly

My comparison was strictly on joining charges , as either one I take I am going to close it next year as it’s difficult to even do consistent 1 lakh spend on Magnus , I am
Pretty sure I will spend 15 lakh Magnus waiver but won’t be able to do 1 lakh per month milestone

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Great analysis
So yeah If one has 25 lakhs spend then it’s good to take reserve

I was just of the view that I take the card and spend 0 for the year , and close the card next year and May be take Reserve for the 50k ER again

May be Amex still gives another 1.25 As annual fees compensation , Amex is pretty good with that , but we won’t get anything such with reserve mostly

My comparison was strictly on joining charges , as either one I take I am going to close it next year as it’s difficult to even do consistent 1 lakh spend on Magnus , I am
Pretty sure I will spend 15 lakh Magnus waiver but won’t be able to do 1 lakh per month milestone
Reserve has same joining and annual benefit(regardless of if you achieve annual waiver or not) - 50k ER. If you are using Marriot hotels then it's definitely worth taking Amex paying joining fee and getting 1.25L MR points.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
Reserve has same joining and annual benefit(regardless of if you achieve annual waiver or not) - 50k ER. If you are using Marriot hotels then it's definitely worth taking Amex paying joining fee and getting 1.25L MR points.
Unfortunately I am not getting the Amex upgrade offer on my gold charge .
1.25 L MB points with Marriott gold status is really good

I have kept axis for air miles and Amex for Marriott Bonvoy separately
Also I am pretty sure that , there is going to be almost 0 spend on plat charge and mostly will use the lifestyle benefits , for airport meet and greet have Magnus for that .

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

Also I am pretty sure that , there is going to be almost 0 spend on plat charge and mostly will use the lifestyle benefits , for airport meet and greet have Magnus for that .
I wish I could pass that offer to you :)
BTW, I don't have charge card. I have MRCC and Amex platinum Travel card

Raman

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Good point.
Let me show case my calculation
1.25 lakh MR best value for transfer to Air mile would be 62500 Airmiles (2:1)
worst case - 41666 (3:1)

So by paying ~71k, I would get 41666 to 62500 air miles(limited option). Value : ~ 0.6 - 0.9
For Axis reserve, paying 59k, I would get 40000 air miles(with more options). Value : ~ 0.68

So, it's almost same(Amex has better value for best case scenario).

Suppose one spends 25 lakh(in my upcoming year I might have that spend) on both cards.
Axis reserve - 187500 edge rewards = 150000 + 40000(renewal benefit) = 190000 airmiles
Amex - 62500 MR = 20833-31250 airmiles
This is drastic downfall here. I am not bringing in multiplier, foreign transaction for simplicity. Otherwise, the difference will be even big(Foreign transaction - 3 MR per 40 for Amex = 15MR per 200 vs Axis reserve's 30ER per 200. I think forex charges for Amex Platinum is 3.5% and Axis reserve is 1.5%). On top of this Axis reserve we are sure that we will get 50k edge points on renewal and there will be no annual fee if spend crosses 25 lakh. But with Amex, we don't know(it all depends on negotiation etc).

I am not listing other benefits for Reserve(Airport pick up and drop, meet and greet service). Plus other hotel benefits(may be Amex has better hotel benefits compared to Axis reserve, I have not compared in terms of that as I don't have priority in hotels).

Based on this, I went ahead with Axis reserve. I can't take both as I won't be able to spend much on Amex as I will be targeting to reach 25 lakh on Axis Reserve.

But again, it all depends on preference. If one is into Marriot then Amex is no brainer I guess.
Great explanation!
I have received the offer too, and I am confused. Just like you, I don't have any inclination toward Marriott bonvoy or any hotels for that matter. However, I do intend to use points for miles because I do travel a lot. For example, I have to travel to Portugal quite often (2/3 times a year), and usually, I round trip costs me around 65 to 70k (economy). As per my calculation, 125k points should be able to fund my round trip to Portugal, so my fees should be recovered. Am I missing something? I will most likely close this next year.

I do have Axis Reserve, by the way.

kkk

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Great explanation!
I have received the offer too, and I am confused. Just like you, I don't have any inclination toward Marriott bonvoy or any hotels for that matter. However, I do intend to use points for miles because I do travel a lot. For example, I have to travel to Portugal quite often (2/3 times a year), and usually, I round trip costs me around 65 to 70k (economy). As per my calculation, 125k points should be able to fund my round trip to Portugal, so my fees should be recovered. Am I missing something? I will most likely close this next year.

I do have Axis Reserve, by the way.
Yeah, you can take it if it recovers your joining fee. If you can extract your joining fee then go ahead.

theglobalinvestor

TF Ace
VIP Lounge

If your spend on plat is going to be 0, I can assure you your retention offer is also going to be 0.

V360

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
It looks like I am the only one who has not received this upgrade offer till now
It’s dam good offer , 70k for 1.25 lakhs Marriot bonvoy is really good

Waiting for this offer to upgrade my gold charge
No I am also in the same club - waiting for this offer.

Will grab the offer for sure if it hits my mailbox.