• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Upgrade

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded to Platinum using the upgrade offer received as shown in the picture? What is the process like?

Attachments

• B93AA4F0-DAAC-43E7-AE86-E67FDE6230BD.png
    B93AA4F0-DAAC-43E7-AE86-E67FDE6230BD.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 287

theglobalinvestor

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Platinum charge is easy to get as long as you meet the requirements. Upgrade only if you get an offer better than applying fresh. I would suggest keeping at least one other amex card so you can retain your points in case you decide to cancel the plat charge at some point. If you're getting a free upgrade to the platinum charge without paying the 70k AF then by all means go for it.

shutapdiya

TF Ace
Contributor
@anirban.choudhury @rajneeshray @4uziaul Which Amex card has the highest chances of getting upgraded to Amex Plat Charge?? and any idea what should be the spending pattern or spending limits??
I will share my experience, last year in the first 2 quarters I was having very less spends on Amex MRCC (was just doing 1500 *4) so till end of last year they were offering me Plat. Travel upgrade but in last 2 quarters of last years spends increased substantially may be around 3-4 Lac in 6 months then this years they started offering me Plat. Charge card as upgrade for which i was getting emails thill this June/ July but as spends in first 6 months of this years were also very less they now came back to offer me Plat. Travel upgrade

V360

TF Ace
TF Family
VIP Lounge
@anirban.choudhury @rajneeshray @4uziaul Which Amex card has the highest chances of getting upgraded to Amex Plat Charge?? and any idea what should be the spending pattern or spending limits??
I am getting upgrade emails on my Gold charge card everyday. However they are offering 50K Taj vouchers and I am negotiating for 125000 MR points against JF.

venkateshr

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Is it really worth to take Amex Plat Charge card? I get upgrade offer every week but I ignore it.
I took this in Feb when that 125k MR points offer came. I applied on Feb 28th, approval happened on 3rd March and they retracted saying March offer is 115k. Had to fight over emails and calls (personally i dont do that at all as its waste of time haggling with imbeciles but in this case this was serious shafting by Amex), Got the extra 115k+10k somewhere in April I think. Used some points in the SE asia family travel in May.

Personally have been a Gold Charge member for 7 yrs now. Am still thinking whether I took the right decision with paying 70k for this. More than value of that 125k pts it is the usability. The money has been spent but the use is much later maybe in the next int'l trip only in 2-3 years time. I'm not a concierge guy and also Amex has limited acceptance in general so haven't been able to spend so much on this card for the last 5 months except maybe 25-30k per month.

Have utilized the 'exclusive' Centurion lounges in both Delhi and Mumbai once in this last few months. Both are good but whether really worth all the hype I have no idea. Its like if you like being served by a person instead of picking up the food yourself while you have a lot of free time, this lounge experience is worth it.

It is worthwhile noting that in the last few months they have downgraded quite a few perks associated with this card.
1. Earlier 1 Plat Charge could take 2 guests as complimentary in these Centurion lounges. It is now 1 guest only.
2. Earlier they had a complimentary housekeeping help / service (dont know frequency) but that has now been discontinued.
3. Also they had some higher reward systems if one books through their air portal - this now has been apparently reduced. I don't know what was offered before so cant comment on current status - never used as the portal doesn't work for my id (have followed up with their head customer service but to no avail - all these being a so called plat charge member)

Overall i'm not so sure I stand vindicated having taken this card. Its your lifestyle choice. Already with an impending renewal in Mar'24, i'm not sure if its worth it to keep this. Maybe its a great card for the frequent business traveller / globe trotter. You'll need to assess that and then take the decision.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I took this in Feb when that 125k MR points offer came. I applied on Feb 28th, approval happened on 3rd March and they retracted saying March offer is 115k. Had to fight over emails and calls (personally i dont do that at all as its waste of time haggling with imbeciles but in this case this was serious shafting by Amex), Got the extra 115k+10k somewhere in April I think. Used some points in the SE asia family travel in May.

Personally have been a Gold Charge member for 7 yrs now. Am still thinking whether I took the right decision with paying 70k for this. More than value of that 125k pts it is the usability. The money has been spent but the use is much later maybe in the next int'l trip only in 2-3 years time. I'm not a concierge guy and also Amex has limited acceptance in general so haven't been able to spend so much on this card for the last 5 months except maybe 25-30k per month.

Have utilized the 'exclusive' Centurion lounges in both Delhi and Mumbai once in this last few months. Both are good but whether really worth all the hype I have no idea. Its like if you like being served by a person instead of picking up the food yourself while you have a lot of free time, this lounge experience is worth it.

It is worthwhile noting that in the last few months they have downgraded quite a few perks associated with this card.
1. Earlier 1 Plat Charge could take 2 guests as complimentary in these Centurion lounges. It is now 1 guest only.
2. Earlier they had a complimentary housekeeping help / service (dont know frequency) but that has now been discontinued.
3. Also they had some higher reward systems if one books through their air portal - this now has been apparently reduced. I don't know what was offered before so cant comment on current status - never used as the portal doesn't work for my id (have followed up with their head customer service but to no avail - all these being a so called plat charge member)

Overall i'm not so sure I stand vindicated having taken this card. Its your lifestyle choice. Already with an impending renewal in Mar'24, i'm not sure if its worth it to keep this. Maybe its a great card for the frequent business traveller / globe trotter. You'll need to assess that and then take the decision.
Its not bad for you with 125K points.you can easily get a value of 1.5-2L with these points.also 10K more for birthday voucher.you may extract more depending on your use.

venkateshr

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Its not bad for you with 125K points.you can easily get a value of 1.5-2L with these points.also 10K more for birthday voucher.you may extract more depending on your use.
I agree. The value can be higher depending on where the transfer is done. Higher value possible. Its just that the benefits are spread out over a longer time for which I have paid a decent upfront amt already. Hence the conundrum. Overall I guess for a particular lifestyle this card is worth it. As I said a good one definitely for frequent fliers / travelers for business internationally.

hrish88

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I agree. The value can be higher depending on where the transfer is done. Higher value possible. Its just that the benefits are spread out over a longer time for which I have paid a decent upfront amt already. Hence the conundrum. Overall I guess for a particular lifestyle this card is worth it. As I said a good one definitely for frequent fliers / travelers for business internationally.
For domestic also you can get good value.also you can utilise points today with marriot.you don't need to wait 2-3 years to utilise those points.

With Marriot you can not only stay free of cost using points but also get upgrades and free breakfast and other perks with the marriot bonvoy gold status which comes with the card.

captaintorchtm

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Lol saw the offer for 1.35L points and platinum upgrade. closed the app, offer is gone within 5 minutes, not able to find it again on app or website, Support cant help. what a joke.

coolguy1

TF Ace
Contributor
VIP Lounge
Lol saw the offer for 1.35L points and platinum upgrade. closed the app, offer is gone within 5 minutes, not able to find it again on app or website, Support cant help. what a joke.
Where did you see it?

Did you take a screenshot by any chance? Do try waiting for a few days, the same offer is often sent through email as well.

Got the Offer on AMEX MMRC.
Offering 135000 MR point.
Can any one suggestion to go with this or not ?
I am currently holding Infinia & Magnus. (I will close down Magnus upon renewal).
yearly spend will be 30+ on Insurance,Travel -Domestic/International both & Online.

smuff

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Amex is sending the offer now in email.. not sure why they are giving platinum upgrade offer even to low spenders. 70k fees(including gst) is not worth unless hotel status benefits are useful for someone who makes luxury travel throughout the year. Definitely meant for HNI customers.

ashwinsid

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Amex is sending the offer now in email.. not sure why they are giving platinum upgrade offer even to low spenders. 70k fees(including gst) is not worth unless hotel status benefits are useful for someone who makes luxury travel throughout the year. Definitely meant for HNI customers.
If it is ok with you, could you DM me the upgrade link you received on email? Want to see if I can get the upgrade using the link..