• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Amex Platinum Card

Anarchronox

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Can someone share information about the vouchers available when joining/renewing the APC?

How do the vouchers work? For ex., can the 37400 rupees travel vouchers be used for bookings or do we need to use them with other offers (third night free, free room upgrade, etc.)?

To be precise, with Axis Magnus Card, one can get the annual fees back in the form of the Tata Cliq voucher. The actual charge is only for the taxes levied.

Does APC allows similar value extraction on its annual fees? If not, what is the value that can be extracted?

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Saw few misconceptions, wrong information or some missing information which I thought would best be clarified in a single post. Here goes:

1. Amex is now offering MR Points too as joining bonus on Platinum Charge Card. The current bonus offer is going upto 125,000. At least, I havent seen an offer above this ever in the last 4 years as a minimum

2. MR Points earned from Smartearn, MRCC, Gold Charge, Plat. Reserve & Plat. Charge can be merged in a single account provided the card accounts are setup properly. If this is done correctly, then even Plat. Charge points can be used for 18K / 24K Gold Collection. This means that 125,000 Sign-up bonus equals to Rs. 70,000 worth Taj Vouchers. So if anybody is taking up 45K or 55K Taj Vouchers sign-up bonus, think again.

3. Plat. Travel was the only card which had points expiry. This also has been removed and there are a few cases where Plat. Travel & Plat. Charge points too are getting combined. If that happens, you get access to Taj vouchers from Plat. Travel, which is also 2:1 ratio. So 125,000 MR Points convert to Rs. 62,500 worth Taj Vouchers.

BestBanker

TF Ace
Banker
Saw few misconceptions, wrong information or some missing information which I thought would best be clarified in a single post. Here goes:

1. Amex is now offering MR Points too as joining bonus on Platinum Charge Card. The current bonus offer is going upto 125,000. At least, I havent seen an offer above this ever in the last 4 years as a minimum

2. MR Points earned from Smartearn, MRCC, Gold Charge, Plat. Reserve & Plat. Charge can be merged in a single account provided the card accounts are setup properly. If this is done correctly, then even Plat. Charge points can be used for 18K / 24K Gold Collection. This means that 125,000 Sign-up bonus equals to Rs. 70,000 worth Taj Vouchers. So if anybody is taking up 45K or 55K Taj Vouchers sign-up bonus, think again.

3. Plat. Travel was the only card which had points expiry. This also has been removed and there are a few cases where Plat. Travel & Plat. Charge points too are getting combined. If that happens, you get access to Taj vouchers from Plat. Travel, which is also 2:1 ratio. So 125,000 MR Points convert to Rs. 62,500 worth Taj Vouchers.
Hello ,

1.25L points is not for new to bank customers and also not all existing Customers. Its for few existing customers .

Points from Gold charge gets transferred to plat charge when you upgrade. In other cards you have to give a request which will be reviewed first and then transferred to Plat charge . In plat charge there is no 18K/24K . 1.25L points can never be converted to 70K Taj vouchers.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Hello ,

1.25L points is not for new to bank customers and also not all existing Customers. Its for few existing customers .

Points from Gold charge gets transferred to plat charge when you upgrade. In other cards you have to give a request which will be reviewed first and then transferred to Plat charge . In plat charge there is no 18K/24K . 1.25L points can never be converted to 70K Taj vouchers.
Like it or not, my practical experience of Amex cards (Including its application process) is much more than the theoretical knowledge of Amex application process that you are talking about.

I have held the MRCC, Gold Charge & Platinum Charge together and redeemed Platinum Charge card points for 18K / 24K Gold Collection Taj vouchers. Currently 125K is via upgrade mode only but 120K has been available via the referral mode in the past and soon it will be available via referral too. When you apply thru the referral mode instead of upgrade mode, the Gold Charge Card DOES NOT get cancelled. This is the practical experience after the application process is completed which people handling applications process do not know. All they would always say is Gold Charge will get closed.

24K Gold Collection x 5 = 120K Points = Rs. 70,000 Worth Taj Vouchers using Plat. Charge Signup bonus is very much possible. You just have to wait for the right offer.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge

Not sure , but when I called customer care and enquired about it , they said as a welcome benefits they can only offer Taj vouchers and no MR points, I even told them I will take plat charge only if welcome benefits are given in form of MR points, but they denied politely and said they are only offering Taj vouchers as of now

BestBanker

TF Ace
Banker
I am working in Amex. So I believe I have a little practical knowledge as well :)
18K 24K is not possible with Plat RCP now. This 18K and 24K is called gold collection and you get this only with MRCC and gold charge. 125K points is possible even when you upgrade (If that offers comes in future)
Gold Charge will not be active now once you start using Plat charge. You cant have two active charge cards at a time.
Like it or not, my practical experience of Amex cards (Including its application process) is much more than the theoretical knowledge of Amex application process that you are talking about.

I have held the MRCC, Gold Charge & Platinum Charge together and redeemed Platinum Charge card points for 18K / 24K Gold Collection Taj vouchers. Currently 125K is via upgrade mode only but 120K has been available via the referral mode in the past and soon it will be available via referral too. When you apply thru the referral mode instead of upgrade mode, the Gold Charge Card DOES NOT get cancelled. This is the practical experience after the application process is completed which people handling applications process do not know. All they would always say is Gold Charge will get closed.

24K Gold Collection x 5 = 120K Points = Rs. 70,000 Worth Taj Vouchers using Plat. Charge Signup bonus is very much possible. You just have to wait for the right offer.
I am working in Amex. So I believe I have a little practical knowledge as well :)

18K 24K is not possible with Plat RCP now. This 18K and 24K is called gold collection and you get this only with MRCC and gold charge.
125K points is possible even when you upgrade (If that offers comes in future and nobody knows when it will come)
Gold Charge will not be active once you start using Plat charge. You cant have two active charge cards at a time.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
18K 24K is not possible with Plat RCP now. This 18K and 24K is called gold collection and you get this only with MRCC and gold charge. 125K points is possible even when you upgrade (If that offers comes in future)
Gold Charge will not be active now once you start using Plat charge. You cant have two active charge cards at a time.

18K 24K is not possible with Plat RCP now. This 18K and 24K is called gold collection and you get this only with MRCC and gold charge.
125K points is possible even when you upgrade (If that offers comes in future and nobody knows when it will come)
Gold Charge will not be active once you start using Plat charge. You cant have two active charge cards at a time.
You are working with Amex but I have been looting Amex for over 5 Years. There is a difference between the two. Rest you can continue with your belief that it is not possible if you think Amex systems are foolproof.

Tejas

TF Premier
Airmiles Expert
Credit Card Expert
Couldnt have been more savage than this! Thats the spirit! :)
Honestly, its not about demeaning anybody. Apologies to @BestBanker if I sounded like that in any way.

Just that I know the Amex India systems quite well and the ground reality is way different than what general people know about Amex. Reason for knowing this is I know 100s of Platinum Charge card owners with different combinations of Amex Cards alongwith Platinum Charge as well as I have experimented with Amex redemption portal a lot. Lot of myths exist despite all the knowledge sharing being done by various people.

codenerd

TF Ace
Honestly, its not about demeaning anybody. Apologies to @BestBanker if I sounded like that in any way.

Just that I know the Amex India systems quite well and the ground reality is way different than what general people know about Amex. Reason for knowing this is I know 100s of Platinum Charge card owners with different combinations of Amex Cards alongwith Platinum Charge as well as I have experimented with Amex redemption portal a lot. Lot of myths exist despite all the knowledge sharing being done by various people.
Yes I totally get your point. Its fun to exploit the rewards structure of cards and benefits. I personally am excited by it and enjoy it. And yes, whats mentioned on their website is not always the only way to get something done.

BestBanker

TF Ace
Banker
No need to apologize buddy.
It was all there earlier but its not available for now. We have changed some policies now.
Doesn't want any body to apply thinking they will get all these benefits

Viraj P

TF Buzz
I have been using AMEX for last 14 years but only Plat Travel and have been working with an amex representative for some time referring him some friends etc for new card applications.
Just last week, I decided to upgrade to AMEX Plat Charge with 100K bonus offer. Unfortunately, this has been declined by the Customer Care as well as the amex rep that I know very well. The Bonus MR points offer is NOT available now. I’m ready to apply for card today if the offer exists but unfortunately it does not.

anirban.choudhury

TF Legend
TF Family
VIP Lounge
I have been using AMEX for last 14 years but only Plat Travel and have been working with an amex representative for some time referring him some friends etc for new card applications.
Just last week, I decided to upgrade to AMEX Plat Charge with 100K bonus offer. Unfortunately, this has been declined by the Customer Care as well as the amex rep that I know very well. The Bonus MR points offer is NOT available now. I’m ready to apply for card today if the offer exists but unfortunately it does not.
Yeah
I tried too but Amex is not offering MR points as welcome benefit on plat charge
I would only apply if points are given

vibrant143

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Yeah
I tried too but Amex is not offering MR points as welcome benefit on plat charge
I would only apply if points are given
I am holding platinum travel and gold charge card. In 2020 , I was offered 1lakh MR points on platinum travel card as upgrade to platinum charge card . I did not take the offer . After a month , Amex offered again for upgrade with 1.25lakh bonus points as welcome benefit . I did not take this again.
After a month , Amex offer led me upgrade on gold charge card with previous 2 offers. Again I did not go with the offer.
Now in Nov ,2022 they offered me upgrade with 1lakh MR point on platinum travel card which was applicable till 31 dec22 but I did not take . Then after 1 week , Amex offered me upgrade to platinum charge card with 1.25lakh MR points. Which is valid till 28 feb23.
This is just for info.

Ankur dhanda

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I too got email for upgrading my gold charge card to platinum card with 1.25 MR points.
Just thinking should I take it and the 1.25 MR points.
At the Time of renewal if i do not get a good retention offer then can we again downgrade to back to gold charge or we will have to close the platinum and apply fresh for gold charge ?? @BestBanker

Last edited:

vina

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

@BestBanker @Tejas are there any other benefits of having the card?

The website talks about special events etc. Is there any?

I have Axis Magnus and SC Ultimate cards so rewards wise pretty well covered

I'm thinking about Axis Reserve card too but trying to figure if Amex may be better

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
I received 120,000 Membership Rewards (MR) points with my American Express Platinum card, making the initial fee highly worthwhile. During the second and third year renewals, I received 90,000 MR points, also making the renewal fee worth it. However, for the fourth year renewal, the offered rewards were less compelling, with options of only 50,000 points or 45,000 Taj vouchers, making it difficult to justify the cost. Additionally, having the Magnus card for FPP/Marriott makes the Amex Platinum card less attractive.

Edit: For multiplier rewards, on the American Express, Gold charge card makes it a worthwhile investment; I have applied for and will be receiving the card next week.
Already using gold X strategy in multiplier portal but last 3 months they removed fuel vouchers which is a miss