• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Would defaulting in the past and clearing the dues prevent me from being approved?

Cosmicgaze

TF Select
Hey guys I had an hdfc cc from 2012 right till around 2016/17, was on time with payments. Had recieved the card with my savings max account.
I had health issues and I was more concentrated on it being a tough time and wasn’t in proper state of mind I thought I had paid my dues but I hadn’t. 3 months in my savings account was frozen, I called up phone banking who told me that my account is put on Lien since I did not pay my dues. I checked my phone which was not with me at the time that was registered with the bank and there was an hdfc employee who texted few times regards the payment due. Anyways I got the lien removed by signing some debit authorisation papers after meeting the person at Hdfc’s office. They only took the minimum due. The person told me if I had to answer the call and explain the situation they could’ve given time.
My fault entirely, they did however offer me to pay the outstanding as normal anything over minimum balance or part or full and did say when the entire outstanding is cleared off the card would be closed and no possibility of getting the same card activated.
I anyways paid the entire outstanding in a week through netbanking pay card dues itself. And asked them if I am on defaulters list or black listed he responded saying, “if it goes to collection Agency then you would be black listed or on defaulters list. Currently it’s with the bank itself and you have cleared the entire amount quickly, so there should be no issues to try and apply a few months later”

I haven’t tried to apply since then. However the card which is closed still shows up on my netbanking with -1 balance and shows as active but if I try any menus on it gives an error.
Cibil shows the card as closed but shows ontime payment even for may 2023 and shows reported and certified 31/5/2023 even tho it shows last payment and closed in 2017. Current balance shows 0.

Netbanking does show me offers to apply for a card and I get emails to complete application.

Would I need to get them to first sort out the previous card showing on the netbanking still?
Would the last default prevent me from applying? And is what the employee told me about not being in defaulters/black list since it did not go to external collection true?

I already have two cc and on time payments now.

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
Hey guys I had an hdfc cc from 2012 right till around 2016/17, was on time with payments. Had recieved the card with my savings max account.
I had health issues and I was more concentrated on it being a tough time and wasn’t in proper state of mind I thought I had paid my dues but I hadn’t. 3 months in my savings account was frozen, I called up phone banking who told me that my account is put on Lien since I did not pay my dues. I checked my phone which was not with me at the time that was registered with the bank and there was an hdfc employee who texted few times regards the payment due. Anyways I got the lien removed by signing some debit authorisation papers after meeting the person at Hdfc’s office. They only took the minimum due. The person told me if I had to answer the call and explain the situation they could’ve given time.
My fault entirely, they did however offer me to pay the outstanding as normal anything over minimum balance or part or full and did say when the entire outstanding is cleared off the card would be closed and no possibility of getting the same card activated.
I anyways paid the entire outstanding in a week through netbanking pay card dues itself. And asked them if I am on defaulters list or black listed he responded saying, “if it goes to collection Agency then you would be black listed or on defaulters list. Currently it’s with the bank itself and you have cleared the entire amount quickly, so there should be no issues to try and apply a few months later”

I haven’t tried to apply since then. However the card which is closed still shows up on my netbanking with -1 balance and shows as active but if I try any menus on it gives an error.
Cibil shows the card as closed but shows ontime payment even for may 2023 and shows reported and certified 31/5/2023 even tho it shows last payment and closed in 2017. Current balance shows 0.

Netbanking does show me offers to apply for a card and I get emails to complete application.

Would I need to get them to first sort out the previous card showing on the netbanking still?
Would the last default prevent me from applying? And is what the employee told me about not being in defaulters/black list since it did not go to external collection true?

I already have two cc and on time payments now.
A default stays on CIBIL for 7 years at max. After that there will be no trace of it.

Walter White

TF Legend
VIP Lounge
I do understand that but would that still be in Hdfc’s records and prevent me from applying and getting a card from them?
Not sure about it but most likely should not be an issue. Depends on whether HDFC have kept a record of it. The same bank will not take risk after burning their hands previously.