• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is your current home loan rate of interest?

ChurningNoob

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Please specify the bank name as well, I am planning to do a balance transfer due to my current high rate.

SBI - 8.95%

govigov

TF Buzz
9.5 % I know it is high, but I wanted to get SBI MAXGAIN account. This account has the overdraft facility, thus, i can maintain liquid cash here for an overall lower interest due to lower principal outstanding. This has worked out well for me for my car loan as well.

FinGuru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
9.5 % I know it is high, but I wanted to get SBI MAXGAIN account. This account has the overdraft facility, thus, i can maintain liquid cash here for an overall lower interest due to lower principal outstanding. This has worked out well for me for my car loan as well.
That's true, but the rate spread should not be so high.

govigov

TF Buzz
That's true, but the rate spread should not be so high.
I went from 9.2% from HDFC as home loan take over to SBI. Instead of topping up, I paid additional upfront to keep the loan amount low. I have since then parked about 30% of the total loan value here. The SBI offer was for 8.5% + 1% over prime lending rates for overdraft facility. It will always be 1% more than standard SBI home loan rates. Take over happened in March 2023. They had a home loan offer going for 0 processing fees.

So the move was 9.2% with HDFC to 9.5% with SBI MAXGAIN.

prc1990

TF Ace
Does anyone know how to calculate interest charged every month based on outstanding amount and current rate?

My interest rate got updated from 7.1 to 8.5 this month and I was charged double interest amount compared to last month and interest I was charged this month is greater than my EMI amount. How that's even possible?? Any idea guys? Feeling but worried 😟.

Rocky Bhai

TF Legend
Does anyone know how to calculate interest charged every month based on outstanding amount and current rate?

My interest rate got updated from 7.1 to 8.5 this month and I was charged double interest amount compared to last month and interest I was charged this month is greater than my EMI amount. How that's even possible?? Any idea guys? Feeling but worried 😟.
Divide your interest rate by the number of payments you'll make that year. If you have a 9 percent interest rate and you make monthly payments, you would divide 0.09 by 12 to get 0.0075. Multiply that number by your remaining loan balance to find out how much you'll pay in interest that month.

prc1990

TF Ace
Divide your interest rate by the number of payments you'll make that year. If you have a 9 percent interest rate and you make monthly payments, you would divide 0.09 by 12 to get 0.0075. Multiply that number by your remaining loan balance to find out how much you'll pay in interest that month.
Yes I did same.

Prior to this increase my outstanding amount was 2147K and I multiplied with (0.085*12) as new interest rate is 8.5. The amount will be somewhere around 15K+ but they charged me around 25K as interest.

Rocky Bhai

TF Legend
Yes I did same.

Prior to this increase my outstanding amount was 2147K and I multiplied with (0.085*12) as new interest rate is 8.5. The amount will be somewhere around 15K+ but they charged me around 25K as interest.
In such a situation, it would be better to contact the bank, only they will be able to give you good and accurate information.

prc1990

TF Ace
In such a situation, it would be better to contact the bank, only they will be able to give you good and accurate information.
At any point do you think, interest I am charged in a specific month can be greater than my EMI amount (unless there is some payment/amount overdue)? Is that even possible? Then my outstanding amount will never go down right?