• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

What is the best saving bank account for minors?

TF Select
VIP Lounge
What I know from my experience IDFC doesn't provide DC for minor account before minor turns 10.

I was denied DC for minor account. So I am not sure if any specific procedure needs to follow to get DC for below 10yrs old minor.
Is there PAN no for minors required to open acct with idfc under family grouping

shashank08

TF Premier
1. Sorry, I never mentioned that for every transaction we have to visit the branch. Somebody else might have mentioned it. I can confirm from my personal experience that you can do all the transactions (imps ,etc) from the minor account from your idfc app. Only debit card controls (for enabling/disabling the domestic/international transactions) of the minor account are not visible on the app. We might have to visit the branch for it.
2. Currently I am not a select/wealth account holder of idfc or icici, so I cannot give any recommendations.
finally got the debit card for minor account but debit card is not visible in the app.

I tried with IVR but OTP didn't come on registered mobile number.
How you set the pin for debit card?

Riva

TF Premier
finally got the debit card for minor account but debit card is not visible in the app.

Which bank and what is the name of the account type? Also is the minor's name on the card?

Wouldn't the pin be emailed separately when the debit card is sent?

shashank08

TF Premier
Which bank and what is the name of the account type? Also is the minor's name on the card?

Wouldn't the pin be emailed separately when the debit card is sent?
It is idfc savings account for the minors.
Yes minor's name is on the card.

I am not sure about seperate pin but was able to set the pin using IVR.

unusedbrain1

TF Premier
I have taken HDFC Bank one. It has MAB reqts as well each month you need to set-up SI of 5000 transfer from your account to minor account for 12 months but it can be made as RD from minor account.

But good news is you can add it to family banking and if you are already in preferred or imperia, it becomes zero balance. Not only that they gave Rupay platinum Debit card in kids name. So my 7 year old son got his own domestic lounge access and using the money generated by RD for playing in Time zone 😀
Is hdfc preferred best for family banking with minimum (1 lakh) to keep in saving account

DoctorDang

TF Buzz

On the IVR, just enter your son/daughter Date of birth during verification. Then you can set the pin. You can also visit Idfc atm to set the pin.

Last edited:

TF Select
VIP Lounge
I got the DC automatically. I think you can contact the BM. And even the BM don't help you, then you can call the customer care and raise a complaint against the branch.
Sir how many days required to open minor account with idfc as I have filled the form with them 4 days before but only received a msg that your request for acct opening received

Rishabh

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
I had opened minor account with IDFC for my 6 months old child 4 years ago via RM who came to home for account opening process.
Took just 2 days to get account activated and received minor's debit card within a week which was issued by default.

Later our accounts got automatically upgraded to Wealth and received new Wealth debit cards for both me and minor account.

So far good experience with IDFC for minor account, only limitation is Minor's Debit card cant be managed online, so any limit modifications etc. need to be done via branch via hand-written application. Pin can be set via IVR Call.
I guess this is standard rule across all banks regarding Debit card not available online to manage until child attains 10 year above age.

shashank08

TF Premier
I had opened minor account with IDFC for my 6 months old child 4 years ago via RM who came to home for account opening process.
Took just 2 days to get account activated and received minor's debit card within a week which was issued by default.

Later our accounts got automatically upgraded to Wealth and received new Wealth debit cards for both me and minor account.

So far good experience with IDFC for minor account, only limitation is Minor's Debit card cant be managed online, so any limit modifications etc. need to be done via branch via hand-written application. Pin can be set via IVR Call.
I guess this is standard rule across all banks regarding Debit card not available online to manage until child attains 10 year above age.
Did you try registering NACH mandate under this account?
I was trying NACH mandate for MFU to pay SIP but it seems it is not allowed.