• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Upgrade offer Amex from mrcc to platinum travel

karan.rghu

TF Buzz
Hello to all,

I just received an offer from Amex via Email to upgrade my MRCC to Platinum Travel Card. I will be getting 10,000 bonus points as well. Should I upgrade? Only use MRCC to get 1000 bonus points per month which will be covered with the 10k points Amex is offering. Though there is a fee of Rs.3500 + GST for the first year and Rs. 5000 + GST afterwards.

miles_guy

TF Select
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I am paying 1500 yearly fees for MRCC. Is there a way to upgrade it to Amex Platinum for the same fees? Can you guys suggest a way? Or should I keep both?
Also what is the mail id to put in the request?
This will not be possible, but call them and ask for reduced yearly fee for platinum travel. Maybe that will work

ross999

TF Select
VIP Lounge
This will not be possible, but call them and ask for reduced yearly fee for platinum travel. Maybe that will work
To apply should I call or mail them? I think last time on the call they said they can't take request of new card/upgrade over call. Which was weird.
Amex customer care is one of the most evolved customer care amongst all credit card companies. Hearing that the request can't be taken on call was a bummer.

sxchzy

TF Pioneer
VIP Lounge
To apply should I call or mail them? I think last time on the call they said they can't take request of new card/upgrade over call. Which was weird.
Amex customer care is one of the most evolved customer care amongst all credit card companies. Hearing that the request can't be taken on call was a bummer.
yes they have a in app message service which is good
tell them to connect you to retention team and negotiate with them

chaitanyamella

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Application for new card cannot be done over call or chat. You have to do it online or via kiosks.

BMR

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
No chance as benefits vary from both cards.in amex when upgrade happens u get to keep both but u do can call care and ask them if they can make mrcc has companion card first they will refuse but insists else you will have to pay both cards. Else u have to spend to get the fee waived off
This is incorrect as per my conversation with customer care. They said if you upgrade, your MRCC will be cancelled. They also refused any companion card. And if one has to keep MRCC , then They can apply for Amex plat travel online as a new card.

chaitanyamella

TF Select
VIP Lounge
This is incorrect as per my conversation with customer care. They said if you upgrade, your MRCC will be cancelled. They also refused any companion card. And if one has to keep MRCC , then They can apply for Amex plat travel online as a new card.
At the moment, companion cards are only given against the Platinum Charge card

ALOAK

TF Ace
Ok but I know many have recived it has companion card. However it is ok. When my smarter gor upgraded to plat travel I did ask them if smart earn can be canacelled they said not to worry I can use both with different limits for each card and using them regularly.

Reactions: BMR

sathish593

TF Buzz
I recently applied for amex card and it got approved, today i observed that i applied for Platinum Travel instead of MRCC accidentally n haven't noticed it, will they convert travel card to mrcc?

ALOAK

TF Ace
Hi, I didn't upgrade but it is mentioned that old card will stop working after upgrading. I think it is called something like like to like upgrade
Point 8 in https://www.americanexpress.com/con...A_New_PlatTravelUpgradeOffer_iformL2L_TnC.pdf
Hopefully someone who availed this upgrade can confirm
I had received an upgrade offer to plat travel from smart earn . When I asked the rep if the smart earn will close. rep said both will be different account and can use both. Till today both amex card works and I use both for different purpose.

Random123

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I had received an upgrade offer to plat travel from smart earn . When I asked the rep if the smart earn will close. rep said both will be different account and can use both. Till today both amex card works and I use both for different purpose.
That's nice to know. Thanks for sharing.
But in this TnC it was written as below and hence didn't upgrade since wanted to retain MRCC and also if and when closing the Plat travel might close my oldest credit card. I remember checking with customer care and they too mentioned it will replace existing card.
8. As part of this Offer, Cardmembers existing American Express® Credit Card, will be upgraded to the
American Express® Platinum Travel Credit Card. There will be no change to the Card Account Number
and billing cycle. The upgraded American Express® Platinum Travel Credit Card, including all the
Supplementary Cards would be dispatched within 7 to 10 days of successful processing of the card
upgrade request. Cardmembers existing American Express® Card would stop working as soon as the
Cardmember activates the new American Express® Platinum Travel Credit Card.

Last edited:

ALOAK

TF Ace
That's nice to know. Thanks for sharing.
In this TnC it was written as below and hence didn't upgrade since wanted to retain MRCC and also if and when closing the Plat travel might close my oldest credit card. I remember checking with customer care and they too mentioned it will replace existing card.
Have they brought in some rule newly is it. There are lots in this forum who 3 amex card upgraded some of them still all work for them. For me no issue till date. It is far easier to use online for shopping on amazon flipkart myntra wallet loading vouchers also offline on hotels I use offline payments in hotels and luxury hotels accept it blindly no hassles. hpcl petrol pumps even hyderabad i have used it on pos in itc fortune Taj and other 3 star hotels booking flight tickets online and offline. Of course small shops to accept it some times amex rums small shop campaigns. But would suggest keep visa or master as emergency . Mostly amex is accepted well sometimes due high mdr vendors switch off or block amex card in their swipe machine. On e it happened to me I asked the vendor give me the machine I will.make it work when I saw the error I said u have not enabled ask u r finance team and I was right and they enabled it after I showed them the label displayed amex accepted . Normally vendors do this because of mdr