• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Super Top up.. Help

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Since am an office guy like most of you all... We get insurance cover from company for our family... Be it health or term life. Some time company give option to increase cover amount, in my case it's not giving same.

Recently seen this top ups in apps and websites... How are they any cons?

Phonepe (Health), acko also has one.
Any option to increase top up on term life?

You don't need top up/super top up these days.
Contact me on 9029798735 if you're interested in proper health insurance. Will assist you.
PS- I'm an insurance agent/investment advisor.

Nemesis

TF Premier
You don't need top up/super top up these days.
Contact me on if you're interested in proper health insurance. Will assist you.
Don't share your number publicly... People might spam... Hide it... You can share the same in PM

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Hi
I have a super top policy with hdfc with 5 lac deductible for past several years. Can i now get the company to reduce deductible to 3,00,000 without any tests etc?

RaviAgl

TF Premier
TF Family
I think you can negotiate with them and they will allow it, but the premium will be more.

Also, I think general minimum for topup policy is 5.00 Lacs these days, since most mediclaim policies offer minimum sum assured of Rs 5.00 Lacs, so topup below this amount won't make sense.

Another option would be to port it out to another company, if hdfc don't agree. Else, you may cancel the existing topup and buy a new one, which is always an option but you will lose any no-claim bonuses that may have accrued if you go this way.

Thanks,

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
For the people who are saying separate insurance policy is good to have, I have some doubts based on some scenarios.
Scenario 1 - Not taking separate insurance now and planning to buy it at age of 50(getting retired)
Suppose I got diagnosed with terminal/major disease in between that. People say it will be very hard to take insurance then and if some company is giving the premium cost would be way too high. Suppose X rupees.
Scenario 2 - Taking separate insurance now and will continue till age of 70-80 as much as I can..
If suppose I got diagnosed with terminal/major disease at age of 40. People say they will let us continue the policy but they might increase next year premium. Now in this scenario when I reach 50, Lets say premium amount is Y rupees.
Is this Y rupees much less than X rupees from scenario 1? Assuming same disease detected.
If yes than definitely take a separate insurance is worth..
Can you throw some light on this 🫣 This will be very helpful for all I believe.

RaviAgl

TF Premier
TF Family
For the people who are saying separate insurance policy is good to have, I have some doubts based on some scenarios.
Scenario 1 - Not taking separate insurance now and planning to buy it at age of 50(getting retired)
Suppose I got diagnosed with terminal/major disease in between that. People say it will be very hard to take insurance then and if some company is giving the premium cost would be way too high. Suppose X rupees.
Scenario 2 - Taking separate insurance now and will continue till age of 70-80 as much as I can..
If suppose I got diagnosed with terminal/major disease at age of 40. People say they will let us continue the policy but they might increase next year premium. Now in this scenario when I reach 50, Lets say premium amount is Y rupees.
Is this Y rupees much less than X rupees from scenario 1? Assuming same disease detected.
If yes than definitely take a separate insurance is worth..

Scenario 1. Once diagnosed with chronic illness, generally insurance companies will not cover that person. There is a wait period for specific diseases after which they cover medical expenses but if you already have a history, they generally will not sell insurance to you, forget the extra premium.

Scenario 2. This is a good idea. Insurance companies are bound by law to renew insurance till the insured persons' death. But there is one point to note. They will not increase the Insurance cover amount after that. Premium payment does increase with insured's age as per their tariff and guidelines. Premium calculation is not affected by past diseases and claims but you will miss out on No Claim Bonuses, if you have lodged a claim for that insurance policy.

Thanks,

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
This is a good idea. Insurance companies are bound by law to renew insurance till the insured persons' death
Ohh. I didn't know about this.
Please confirm one more time
- So if we pass the waiting period and if later something is detected, I will get the claim.
- Also Next year I understand I wont get the no claim bonus but premium will increase by some amount as per contract but wont be significantly high right?
Please can you share some link where I can read about this in detail.

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge

Apt reply by @RaviAgl

I would add my 2 cents to it.

1. There are few plans now which can be given to people with chronic illnesses (such as heart disease, hyper thyroidism, asthma etc). But they'll have permanent exclusion for claims related to that illness. Also they'll have internal limits for other diseases.
And these Special Plans generally cost 1.5X of Normal Plans given to a fit person of same age.

2. It totally makes sense to go for it when you're healthy. Coz you'll always be paying healthy person's premium even when you're not, in future.

Without health and life insurance, you're investments (Stocks, MF, FD, Gold.. any) will always be at risk of early withdrawal.

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
- So if we pass the waiting period and if later something is detected, I will get the claim.
Yes. You will.

- Also Next year I understand I wont get the no claim bonus but premium will increase by some amount as per contract but wont be significantly high right?
Premiums increase only according to age slabs
5-18
19-25
26-35
36-45
46-50... onwards in increments of 5yrs.
They don't increase bcoz of claims.

Call me for any questions you have.

RaviAgl

TF Premier
TF Family
Ohh. I didn't know about this.
Please confirm one more time
Yes, exactly. Regarding links, it is written in the fine print of every insurance policy.

For example, you can download the mediclaim insurance policy terms and conditions of oriental insurance from their site.

see page 22 for list of diseases in waiting period

Thanks,

Last edited:

jack333

TF Legend
Contributor
VIP Lounge
There is no need of buying top up separately as icici is providing low rate icici lombard health policy for its customers. Contact your branch as this is not available online

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-19-30-20_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-19-30-20_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 10

gurubhai

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thank you very much @sheru @RaviAgl .
I had this misconception may be because of some group health insurance talks happened with work colleagues.
Will read about it in detail and will definitely go for this asap.
Retirement you sure? My kids will add me in their company plan as parents ahahaha 😅
Btw what if you kids don't go for corporate jobs and wanna become an artist or sportsperson. You are taking a big risk here 😛

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Thank you very much @sheru @RaviAgl .
I had this misconception may be because of some group health insurance talks happened with work colleagues.
Will read about it in detail and will definitely go for this asap.

Btw what if you kids don't go for corporate jobs and wanna become an artist or sportsperson. You are taking a big risk here 😛
Plz watch movie "bagbhan"

Deleted member 9785

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
There is no need of buying top up separately as icici is providing low rate icici lombard health policy for its customers. Contact your branch as this is not available online
My experience with them for claims is quite poor. After lots of escalation a small 15k amount got cleared. On the othe hand 1.55 lac HDFC claim got processed seamlessly.

sheru

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
My experience with them for claims is quite poor. After lots of escalation a small 15k amount got cleared. On the othe hand 1.55 lac HDFC claim got processed seamlessly.
There's a reason why few companies play only in Group Insurance. 😎