• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Sell Fidelity US stocks and do Inward remittance

CC-Muncher

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
I have some US stocks in my company-linked Fidelity account. They are going to vest in the coming months and I want to be prepared to sell and encash them as soon as they vest.
I went through this informative thread and knew that IOB offers the best rate.
If required, I am ready to open a new bank account to save on charges.

Although, I need guidance and want to learn from your experiences about the whole process and experience of selling US stocks from the Fidelity account and transferring it to an Indian bank account. My end goal is to cut down on charges as much as possible.

P.S. I am a newbie and don't know any jargon on remittances. Please go easy on me :)

Update:
- Which intermediary to choose for facilitating inward remittances?
I found this list of correspondent banks for HDFC Bank. Do this intermediary charge? if yes which one charges minimal? ( J P MORGAN CHASE BANK - seems to be a good option)

Update: 22 May 2023
I got my inward remittance to IOB and here are the details:

Fidelity --> IOB (No intermediary bank added)

The amount transferred - 100 USD (Indicative figure)
Transfer fee 0 at Fidelity
Credited Rs. 8032

After 4 working days:

On the date of credit, the IOB rate - Rs. 82.54 (Market rate was 82.79)
Expected 82.54*100 = 8254
Difference = 8254-8032 = Rs. 222

Charges Breakup
COmmision/Fixed charge -> Rs. 177 (150 fixed charge x 1.18 GST)
GST from govt on currency conversion - Rs. 45

Different GST Rates from govt on currency conversion ->
Up to 1L -> 0.18% of ACE with a minimum of Rs. 45
1L to 10L -> 180 + 0.09% of (ACE - 1,00,000)
Above 10L -> 990 + 0.018% of (ACE - 10,00,000)

(Thanks @FatReaper for charges breakup)

Last edited:

CC-Muncher

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
Has anyone done inward remittance with axis bank?
They offer preffered rates for Corp Salary account holders and Burgundy/preffered account holders.
Plz share experience if you have any.

Rex

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Branch folks told not to choose any. This guarantees zero intermediary fees.
If you want IOB exchange rate, you'll have to choose an intermediary bank for fedility to transfer in USD, else they'll use their rates (charges 2.5%) for conversion and transfer INR to your IOB account.
@Akio @Dragon_slayer I have recently opened account with IOB, which swift code did you guys use for wire transfer your Branch code (in which you have opened account) or Central Office (IOBAINBB001) ?
I asked the Branch manager, she asked me to use IOBAINBB001 as this is savings account.

CC-Muncher

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
If you want IOB exchange rate, you'll have to choose an intermediary bank for fedility to transfer in USD, else they'll use their rates (charges 2.5%) for conversion and transfer INR to your IOB account.

I asked the Branch manager, she asked me to use IOBAINBB001 as this is savings account.
I have done a transaction with iob and nothing was charged.
Also, by default fidelity uses jpmc as intermediary when you don't provide.
So better leave it black, no intermediary charges were charged to me

vsvipul

TF Buzz
This is true. I also use SBI with SBI New York branch as intermediary for the same, otherwise fidelity charges USD -> INR conversion fees, which is sometimes as high as 2.5% for small amounts. We can't tranfer USD directly without any intermediary.
SBI charges the following->
Forex transaction commission -> 50 rs.
forex transaction charge -> 0.1% or rs. 45 whichever is higher

If someone has anything better than this with intermediary please let me know.

Last edited:

CC-Muncher

TF Ace
VIP Lounge
This is true. I also use SBI with SBI New York branch as intermediary for the same, otherwise fidelity charges USD -> INR conversion fees, which is sometimes as high as 2.5% for large amounts. We can't tranfer USD directly without any intermediary.
SBI charges the following->
Forex transaction commission -> 50 rs.
forex transaction charge -> 0.1% or rs. 45 whichever is higher

If someone has anything better than this with intermediary please let me know.
Fidelity charges 2.5% interest if fidelity is doing the conversion. This happens when in your transfer instruction you mention the currency as INR.
Rather ask them to transfer USD itself and let the bank do the conversion.

vsvipul

TF Buzz
Fidelity charges 2.5% interest if fidelity is doing the conversion. This happens when in your transfer instruction you mention the currency as INR.
Rather ask them to transfer USD itself and let the bank do the conversion.
In my case they don't allow direct payments in USD without any intermediary.