• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Searching for a good second credit card

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
I am pretty new to the credit card space. I currently have just one CC - HDFC Regalia LTF. Looking for a good CC (preferably LTF/can be made LTF/minimal annual fees). I have been recently inclined towards cashback CCs due to the popularity of SBI cashback CC. I am getting options to apply for Airtel Axis CC via thanks app, Axis Ace CC vis Gpay, Axis Flipkart via Flipkart. I was planning on applying for SBI cashback card initially but then I read thread on this community about the uncertainty of cashbacks and the whole MCC issues with customers left with little to no choice of getting cashbacks on valid but wrongly reported MCC transactions. Also points like SBI cashback is excluded in many occasions like Flipkart Big Billion or Amazon Great Indian Festival. Also I was hearing rumours of SBI cashback card to be devalued again.

My spending pattens -
Phone recharge - About Rs 1800 - 2300 a year (Airtel or VI or BSNL)
Paytm - For paying electricty bill - Rs. 6000 to 10000 monthly (Didnot find the apartment on GPay or Phonepe)
Rent - is sent directly to back account of landlord via UPI (Is there some trick to earn cashback here too?)
Zepto/Blinkit - For normal household stuff about Rs. 300-500 a month
Zomato/Swiggy - Rarely. Once or twice a quarter maybe.
Uber/Rapido (Ola rarely) - For commute on a daily basis About Rs. 2000-3000 per month <--- This might change as I am planning to purchase a two-wheeler
Flipkart - For electronic items like mobiles, tablets, laptops (obviously, once in few years) or for regular purchases like deodrants, perfumes, etc. Amazon - Rarely (even if I have to, I use a friend's Prime account)
Clothes - Almost always offline once or twice in half yearly.
Flight - One round trip atleast in one quarter (No specific site of preference, wherever I get best deal I book from there)
Hotels - Once in a quarter (No specific site of preference, wherever I get best deal I book from there)
Insurance - Once a year

Flipkart Axis I am not sure of taking because few friends have it and I can avail the discount from their cards while shopping
I was also looking at standard chartered smart CC due to all the issues going on with SBI cashback CC (Basically less thinking on whether I get cashback or not)

Which credit card should I go for now (Or do I even need another CC right now)? Also are there any cards that are being offered as LTF right now that I should consider (be it cashback or reward points CC) which can suit better.
Please suggest some good cards which offer high credit limits and has good customer support or point of contact just in case I require it for CC upgrades or limit enhacements or making the card LTF later.

hritiksakshi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Take idfc wealth.

It's fairly rewarding, has loads of life style benefits and offers great limit with regalia if applied on C2C basis

Also it's ltf. Secondly if u r not eligible for wealth then taken idfc select.

Dm me if u need referral :)

Reactions: SSV

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
Take idfc wealth.

It's fairly rewarding, has loads of life style benefits and offers great limit with regalia if applied on C2C basis

Let me check. As far as I remember, don't these cards have a very low reward rate?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I am pretty new to the credit card space. I currently have just one CC - HDFC Regalia LTF. Looking for a good CC (preferably LTF/can be made LTF/minimal annual fees). I have been recently inclined towards cashback CCs due to the popularity of SBI cashback CC. I am getting options to apply for Airtel Axis CC via thanks app, Axis Ace CC vis Gpay, Axis Flipkart via Flipkart. I was planning on applying for SBI cashback card initially but then I read thread on this community about the uncertainty of cashbacks and the whole MCC issues with customers left with little to no choice of getting cashbacks on valid but wrongly reported MCC transactions. Also points like SBI cashback is excluded in many occasions like Flipkart Big Billion or Amazon Great Indian Festival. Also I was hearing rumours of SBI cashback card to be devalued again.

My spending pattens -
Paytm - For paying electricty bill - Rs. 6000 to 10000 monthly (Didnot find the apartment on GPay or Phonepe)
Rent - is sent directly to back account of landlord via UPI (Is there some trick to earn cashback here too?)
Uber/Rapido (Ola rarely) - For commute on a daily basis About Rs. 2000-3000 per month <--- This might change as I am planning to purchase a two-wheeler
Flipkart - For electronic items like mobiles, tablets, laptops (obviously, once in few years) or for regular purchases like deodrants, perfumes, etc. Amazon - Rarely (even if I have to, I use a friend's Prime account)
Flight - One round trip atleast in one quarter (No specific site of preference, wherever I get best deal I book from there)
Hotels - Once in a quarter (No specific site of preference, wherever I get best deal I book from there)
Insurance - Once a year

Flipkart Axis I am not sure of taking because few friends have it and I can avail the discount from their cards while shopping
I was also looking at standard chartered smart CC due to all the issues going on with SBI cashback CC (Basically less thinking on whether I get cashback or not)

Which credit card should I go for now (Or do I even need another CC right now)? Also are there any cards that are being offered as LTF right now that I should consider (be it cashback or reward points CC) which can suit better.
Please suggest some good cards which offer high credit limits and has good customer support or point of contact just in case I require it for CC upgrades or limit enhacements or making the card LTF later.
Get axis airtel.
Apay
Mrcc .
From hdfc get hdfc tata neu infinity.
Everyone best in their category

Cj_1907

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Get amex mrcc. It’s best for you as your spends are near 20k. Check inbox for referral.

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
I checked Amex MRCC. Looks good but the issue is I am not a resident of the serviceable areas of amex. I work in a serviceable area. And have a flat on rent there where I live. Is it possible to get an amex card there based on my office/flat address. If yes what are the steps?

Vasuki

TF Pioneer
Contributor
RML Group
VIP Lounge
I checked Amex MRCC. Looks good but the issue is I am not a resident of the serviceable areas of amex. I work in a serviceable area. And have a flat on rent there where I live. Is it possible to get an amex card there based on my office/flat address. If yes what are the steps?
If u have any wifi bill , account address ..
Chnage your adhar address for short term .only option 😁

nomad

TF Premier

My spending pattens -
Insurance - Once a year

Since you mentioned Round Trip every quarter, do you avail lounge benefits?
Any specific hotel preferences (5 star chains) or something

If yes then MRCC may not work for you and Plat travel would be a better choice

I don't think so as AMEX is pretty adamant on the Govt ID to be from serviceable pincode. @BestBanker any help here?

Other than this, what sort of benefits are you looking for? CB or Airmile transfers or Hotel Transfers or something else?

Bharat

TF Select
VIP Lounge
What's major benefits with idfc wealth ??
I can only see 500 on 5k spend as welcome and then 10x reward over 30k spend which is like 2-3% reward rate
Please enlighten, I got one (pre-approved) but not able to understand its power yet 😕🤦
Take idfc wealth.

P B R G

TF Ace
Search the forum, you will get the answer. Go through the Credit cards section, Credit cards reviews section.. lot of informative threads already exists.

Also you can refer to this thread for category wise best cards and decide yourself which would be ideal for you.

ihmahetar

TF Select
Best Credit Card is ICICI Amazon Pay 5% Cashback Prime Members And 3% For Non Prime Members Also give 1% offline Spend And Cashback Credit To Amazon Pay Balance.

Also Lifetime Free With Good Limit And Future LE

hritiksakshi

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
What's major benefits with idfc wealth ??
I can only see 500 on 5k spend as welcome and then 10x reward over 30k spend which is like 2-3% reward rate
Please enlighten, I got one (pre-approved) but not able to understand its power yet 😕🤦
Wealth has lot of non spend based and lifestyle benefits.

The reward rate is fairly standard and valid across most categories without worrying about the mcc.

It's almost double of ur regalia to be frank.

cardio_guy

TF Ace
Very happy to see the post of a common man where the expenses are really normal.
You can just use any one card that is convenient for you. The spends are not heavy or you can't save thousands and lakhs using cashbacks or rewards.
Your travel and hotel stays are also not very frequent.
So just go with any basic to mid-level LTF card, I would suggest going with the bank that you hold your account.

Don't break your head overthinking and spending too much time for this 1-2% extra returns.
Also, I would suggest not having 3-4 cards. Just too much headache to track and pay bills.
Keep it simple.

Cj_1907

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
check inbox for steps.

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
Since you mentioned Round Trip every quarter, do you avail lounge benefits?
Any specific hotel preferences (5 star chains) or something

If yes then MRCC may not work for you and Plat travel would be a better choice

I don't think so as AMEX is pretty adamant on the Govt ID to be from serviceable pincode. @BestBanker any help here?

Other than this, what sort of benefits are you looking for? CB or Airmile transfers or Hotel Transfers or something else?
@nomad I haven't used the lounge benefit as of now. I always reach the airport just in time and hence never experienced the lounge:LOL:
Okay will check platinum travel card too. I liked the amex cards because their membership rewards program offers lifetime validity of the reward points unless the card is closed. So what I was thinking is to accumulate enough points and later use it to buy something I actually need at a later point of time giving me a sense of satisfaction that I am just getting rewarded for using my card and no hassles whatsoever. Don't want to do unnecessary spends just to earn points OR, redeem points just because they are going to expire. As long as I am able to recover my annual fees I am fine with the card. Apart from this, I don't think I am looking for any other benefits. Over and above this, whatever benefits I get is just an added bonus for me as of now:)

Want to keep it simple as mentioned by @cardio_guy
I hold account in SBI and HDFC. HDFC regalia I already have. I was planning on getting SBI cashback but somewhere I feel that it will be too much headache for me with all the MCC situation going on. I was thinking of Axis Ace due to the offline 2% rewards or maybe Standard Chartered smart CC for its simplicity (hadn't checked American Express cards till then).

Also @hritiksakshi I liked the concept of IDFC first bank cards as they are also LTF and points don't expire and all but the reward conversion ratio is very less which in case of amex is a lot better I feel. Will again check if I am missing something here because wherever I check everyone says IDFC cards offer below average returns even for LTF cards (And their calculations of the reward rate seem fine by me:cry:)

dexter_greycells

TF Premier
OP, in the spirit of keeping things simple, I hope you are aware of HDFC SmartBuy platform -

Your Regalia RPs (4 RPs/₹150 spends) are worth 1RP=₹0.5 value when booking flights and hotels directly through the platform.

For each of your online expenses, see if there are vouchers available on https://www.gyftr.com/instantvouchers/ (or just click on the Instant Vouchers link from HDFC SmartBuy). If yes buy them through that link with your Regalia to get 5X RPs. A Flipkart or Uber voucher of ₹1500 would fetch you 40x5 = 200 RPs worth ₹100 for hotels/flights. That's a 6.66% return. The flight/hotel rates are quite competitive and use MMT/goiBiBo/CleapTrip as backend providers.

If you can do all your utility and insurance payments on Amazon, buy Amazon Pay GVs (despite the nearly 3% surcharge). Even for clothes, if you are buying them from a place like Pantaloons, Max etc, you can buy discounted GVs and pay in store using them.

HDFC Credit Cards must never be discussed without taking the HDFC SmartBuy platform into consideration.

nomad

TF Premier
@dilbwagsingh since you already hold Regalia, why not try upgrading to Regalia Gold? It also has unconditional lounge access as of now.

IDFC reward rates might be poor but at LTF and the benefits provided, there is no harm in taking one.

AMEX you can search the forum if your place is serviceable now as they started supporting some more Tier 2 3 cities some time back

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
OP, in the spirit of keeping things simple, I hope you are aware of HDFC SmartBuy platform -

Your Regalia RPs (4 RPs/₹150 spends) are worth 1RP=₹0.5 value when booking flights and hotels directly through the platform.

For each of your online expenses, see if there are vouchers available on https://www.gyftr.com/instantvouchers/ (or just click on the Instant Vouchers link from HDFC SmartBuy). If yes buy them through that link with your Regalia to get 5X RPs. A Flipkart or Uber voucher of ₹1500 would fetch you 40x5 = 200 RPs worth ₹100 for hotels/flights. That's a 6.66% return. The flight/hotel rates are quite competitive and use MMT/goiBiBo/CleapTrip as backend providers.

If you can do all your utility and insurance payments on Amazon, buy Amazon Pay GVs (despite the nearly 3% surcharge). Even for clothes, if you are buying them from a place like Pantaloons, Max etc, you can buy discounted GVs and pay in store using them.

HDFC Credit Cards must never be discussed without taking the HDFC SmartBuy platform into consideration.
Yep agreed. I have not been buying GVs though as of now. I use smartbuy to book flights/hotels.

dilbwagsingh

TF Buzz
@dilbwagsingh since you already hold Regalia, why not try upgrading to Regalia Gold? It also has unconditional lounge access as of now.

IDFC reward rates might be poor but at LTF and the benefits provided, there is no harm in taking one.

AMEX you can search the forum if your place is serviceable now as they started supporting some more Tier 2 3 cities some time back
I do have an offer for Regalia Gold but it is not LTF like my regalia. It shows Rs. 2500+GST as annual charges. Will try and talk them to make it LTF for me. Do you know if they give it LTF or not @nomad ?