• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

Rental Payment Using Credit Cards: A Comprehensive Guide

If you were in a negative area and applied for an American express card and got declined earlier then you can now apply for a different American express card now.
Same product cant be processed again.
DM me for more details. Will help you guys.

kshitij_0

TF Ace
Which platforms provide instant credit to bank in case of rent payment/transfer money from CC to bank in increasing order of net charges levied?

Last edited:

shashifed

TF Select
VIP Lounge
Does any axis bank card or SBI card give reward points on rental payment? If not do they charge additional 1% like HDFC and ICICI?
I believe axis vistara card gives reward points for rental payments (reward points are club vistara points in this case).
Also SBI charges 99+gst(18%) for rental payments..

ccboyman

TF Buzz
VIP Lounge
Anyone knows how to get access to the beta Payzapp? I heard it supports Magnus, so we can use for RedGiraffe

codenerd

TF Ace
Which is the best bank/card to pay 20k monthly rent via RedGiraffe (Obviously not AMEX). Please let me know the best options where I will only spend 20k on rent and almost nothing else on the card.. Also the card should not have some hefty joinging fees.. If there is any such card where I can maximize my benefit, please do help me out!

Wealth is my birth right!

TF Prestige
VIP Lounge
Which is the best bank/card to pay 20k monthly rent via RedGiraffe (Obviously not AMEX). Please let me know the best options where I will only spend 20k on rent and almost nothing else on the card.. Also the card should not have some hefty joinging fees.. If there is any such card where I can maximize my benefit, please do help me out!
Apay icici will be best IMO
200 rupees will be credited to ur prime account in next month

Jeevankishor

TF Buzz
Which platforms provide instant credit to bank in case of rent payment/transfer money from CC to bank in increasing order of net charges levied?
I personally tried cred for rent payment and it got credited instantly and i guess u will be charged 1 to 1.5% of transaction amount, u can also get 15% discount on the transaction fee upto 500 except DCB cards

F91DBC63-4F64-43F9-8FD0-C9D2588C16DA.png B55E50DB-D000-4463-9514-064EBC4D551B.jpeg

fatehbajwa

TF Premier
VIP Lounge
Many people still exclaim after hearing that I do my rental payment using credit cards and earn handsome rewards by doing so. Well, earlier no one would have thought that this would be possible someday. But RedGirrafe made it possible for the very first time in India in 2017 and is still the popular choice of many users owing to its one of the lowest convenience fees.

Nowadays other than rent you can pay school fees, maintenance charges and even brokerage from such applications. Club the best portals with the Best Credit Cards For Rental Payments.

Well, before figuring out all the available portals and what they charge first let’s look into the pros and cons of paying rent via credit cards.

Advantages​

• Provides an interest-free credit period of up to 45 days and thus helps you with liquidity at times.
  • Helps you achieve milestones and other rewards offered by your credit card issuer.
  • Users can also set standing instructions and not miss the due date besides getting digital rent receipts.
  • With the increased usage of your credit limit, you get to improve your credit history if you pay bills on time.
  • And since you spend more on your card you may get a spends-based annual fee waiver or an upgrade to your dream card.

Disadvantages​

• A high credit utilization ratio can negatively impact your credit score especially if you have a low credit limit.
  • Since rent is a significant expense, you may not be able to pay the complete bill on time, and issuer will charge you heavy penalties and interest which will hamper your credit score like anything.
  • Credit card issuers can apply extra charges as ICICI Bank and SBI Cards have recently started levying charges on rent payments.
As you can see that the number of disadvantages are very few as compared to the advantages. Hence, it makes a lot of sense to put this expense on your credit card especially if you are financially disciplined.

Rent Payment Portals Screenshot_20221126-141903__01.jpg

Credit Rotation and Implications

During the lockdown since many people were finding it hard to make spending on their cards they resorted to making fake rent payments to their family and friends to earn reward points and achieve milestones without knowing its consequences. Since all the rent payment transactions are captured by AIS nowadays as everything is linked to PAN. So,

• If you are paying rent greater than ₹50,000 in any month, you have to compulsorily deduct 5% TDS and pay the net amount after tax deduction to your landlord else no deduction is required under section 194IB. Else you can be made an assessee and penalized.
  • The person receiving such amounts is liable to show it as income from House Property and pay applicable taxes on it after necessary deductions as per their tax slab. Failure to do all this may lead to interest, fines and penalties.
  • Even if the landlord is earning more than ₹2.5LPA but less than ₹5LPA then he is liable to file ITR.
  • The total cashback earned on the credit card is also taxable if the amount on all your cards is equal to or greater than ₹50K as per Section 56(2)(x) of the Income-tax Act. You need to report it under the head ‘Income from Other Sources’ or ‘Profits and Gains from Business or Profession’, as the case may be.
  • And if the recipient is not owning any property then it is nothing but a case of misrepresentation and financial fraud.
So beware of all this before doing any such transactions. Nowadays banks have also started levying charges on rent payments and some have capped or altogether removed reward point earnings on such transactions.

Bottomline
Paying rent using credit cards is the best way to earn reward points and earn that next business-class ticket. There is absolutely no risk attached if you are financially disciplined and following all the IT Act regulations on rent payments. Since this is a significant monthly expense for anyone who is having a rental property, I would suggest everyone should explore the Best Credit Cards for Rental Payments and earn the best rewards possible.

Do you pay rent using your credit cards then which portal and credit card combination is your favourite? Tell us in the comments below!
Hey Bhavye....is it possible for you to update this chart. I believe there have been plenty of changes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221126-141903__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20221126-141903__01.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 58