Received compensation for harassment from Canara Bank

sjmajumder

Dear Friends,

Happy to share with you all that I have received a compensation of Rs. 10,000 from Canara Bank for harassment.

Canara Bank gave 0.5% less ROI on 4 FDs auto renewed in Dec 2023. When complained to BM over phone, he asked me to visit branch with the certificates. On reaching branch he introduced me to a lady who takes care of term deposits. She took around 20-30 minutes to understand the issue. Then she asked me to call her after a week. When I called after 10 days, she had completely forgotten about the matter and asked me all the details all over again and then asked me to call another person after 2 hours. When I did, this person got irritated and told me he has received the details only couple of hours back, he doesn't have any update and that I shouldn't call him again instead I should call the lady responsible for this. After this for the next 2 days I kept calling the lady and the BM but none of them answered my call. I thought of calling from a different number, but then thought why should I? I found the Kolkata circle escalation details on internet and called up. The person gave me a mail id and asked me to send a detailed mail which I did immediately. To my complete surprise, even this person stopped answering my calls post receiving my mail. So, I finally wrote to head office complaints department. They forwarded the mail to the branch and then branch replied asking me to visit branch again and submit a request letter. I wrote back saying I have already visited the branch and met branch manager, it is not possible for me to come again. To my surprise that same evening 2 executives came to my home (without prior intimation) and took photos of the certificates, but I refused to give any request letter and said I can only give complaint letter which they declined to take. After 2-3 days the BM called me and asked for 2 days time to resolve it but I didn't hear back from him again. So again I complained to head office mail id, and this time even HO didn't respond. So, after following up for another week, on 24th Jan I registered a complaint with the RBI Ombudsman and asked for compensation of 10L for harassment and mental agony.

On 9th Feb, I received a mail from branch asking me to visit the branch with the old certificates and collect the revised FD certificates. I replied saying it is not possible for me to come down. In the evening same two executives who came earlier came again and handed over the revised FD receipts and collected the old ones. I was thinking they will ask me to sign something like complain resolved to my satisfaction. But nothing of the sort. They left after taking my "received' signature on photocopies.

On 22nd Feb, I received a call from RBI ombudsman office, Kolkata. It was a very awkward call:
She asked "Is the problem resolved"
I replied "What about the harassment?"
She said "I am only asking about the issue now, as bank has written to us that they have resolved your issue"
Me: "Yes, issue has been rectified"
She: "OK. Let me see what you have asked for"
Me: "OK..." and she simply disconnected the phone

After that a long wait till this morning (9th April) when I got the below mail from RBI Ombudsman.

1712655324725.png

After getting the mail I checked my account and found that Rs. 10,000 was credited on 2nd April. I hope they will learn a lesson and will start treating customers with the respect we deserve. Don't show me attitude when I ask for service - that is all I want.

All of you, my friends, should take inspiration from this and raise your voice when you are harassed. If even 10% of the cases reach RBI ombudsman and banks end up paying compensation I am sure we will experience a very different banking service very soon.

its_karan

Dear Friends,

Happy to share with you all that I have received a compensation of Rs. 10,000 from Canara Bank for harassment.

Canara Bank gave 0.5% less ROI on 4 FDs auto renewed in Dec 2023. When complained to BM over phone, he asked me to visit branch with the certificates. On reaching branch he introduced me to a lady who takes care of term deposits. She took around 20-30 minutes to understand the issue. Then she asked me to call her after a week. When I called after 10 days, she had completely forgotten about the matter and asked me all the details all over again and then asked me to call another person after 2 hours. When I did, this person got irritated and told me he has received the details only couple of hours back, he doesn't have any update and that I shouldn't call him again instead I should call the lady responsible for this. After this for the next 2 days I kept calling the lady and the BM but none of them answered my call. I thought of calling from a different number, but then thought why should I? I found the Kolkata circle escalation details on internet and called up. The person gave me a mail id and asked me to send a detailed mail which I did immediately. To my complete surprise, even this person stopped answering my calls post receiving my mail. So, I finally wrote to head office complaints department. They forwarded the mail to the branch and then branch replied asking me to visit branch again and submit a request letter. I wrote back saying I have already visited the branch and met branch manager, it is not possible for me to come again. To my surprise that same evening 2 executives came to my home (without prior intimation) and took photos of the certificates, but I refused to give any request letter and said I can only give complaint letter which they declined to take. After 2-3 days the BM called me and asked for 2 days time to resolve it but I didn't hear back from him again. So again I complained to head office mail id, and this time even HO didn't respond. So, after following up for another week, on 24th Jan I registered a complaint with the RBI Ombudsman and asked for compensation of 10L for harassment and mental agony.

On 9th Feb, I received a mail from branch asking me to visit the branch with the old certificates and collect the revised FD certificates. I replied saying it is not possible for me to come down. In the evening same two executives who came earlier came again and handed over the revised FD receipts and collected the old ones. I was thinking they will ask me to sign something like complain resolved to my satisfaction. But nothing of the sort. They left after taking my "received' signature on photocopies.

On 22nd Feb, I received a call from RBI ombudsman office, Kolkata. It was a very awkward call:
She said "I am only asking about the issue now, as bank has written to us that they have resolved your issue"

After that a long wait till this morning (9th April) when I got the below mail from RBI Ombudsman.

1712655324725.png

After getting the mail I checked my account and found that Rs. 10,000 was credited on 2nd April. I hope they will learn a lesson and will start treating customers with the respect we deserve. Don't show me attitude when I ask for service - that is all I want.

All of you, my friends, should take inspiration from this and raise your voice when you are harassed. If even 10% of the cases reach RBI ombudsman and banks end up paying compensation I am sure we will experience a very different banking service very soon.
Kudos to you

Desu Sarath

Dear Friends,

1712655324725.png

Kudos to you.

lightwaves

Dear Friends,

1712655324725.png

Clap Applause GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Dear Friends,

1712655324725.png

Claimed amount ka 1% compensation diya and bank technical glitch bolke piche hat gaya... 😂

Ye advisory jo diya wo transparent kyu nahi rehta...kuch bhi ho baat chit, jab send karein toh 3 o parties ke liye wo chiz accessible rahe tab aur acha rahega mere opinion mein...

Kitne ka toh jab bank reply karta hai toh investigation ya firh complainant se follow-up na leke non appealable bata ke case close kar deta hai 😂

Though, great you have fighted and the decision was made on your favour, congratulations 🎉 and she, from RBI, followed up whether resolution was provided or not, before closing the case.

girish3456

Dear Friends,

1712655324725.png

Can you please share RBI ombudsman website address

vijay.vj

Can you please share RBI ombudsman website address

For detailed instructions